- advertisement -

Dogs trained to sense lows?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abbie, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

i heard about dogs who can sense when a person is having a low- is this true? and where can i find more on the subject?

2. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Yes, it's true. My daughter has had an alert dog for 4 years now and he's amazingly acurate. There are at least a dozen or more members on here who have diabetic alert dogs. If you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to answer them via pm's.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110313/LIFE/103130305/-1/NEWSMAP

www.lildotspot.com

www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org

Here is a recent article in Diabetes Health that addresses some research: http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011/12/04/7371/dog-sense/

Also, there are numerous, albeit, closed threads on this forum that you can search.

Hope this helps answer your questions.:cwds:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  3. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

thank you for the info, i will definetly look at that website.
    now, does the dog act like a regular pet as well as doing his\her job? i mean, will it get along with my 5 year old sister? because i'm thinking of looking into one.

4. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Kristi, I must say that your daughter is beautiful and Shots is stellar in the photo!!! I am doing some fundraising for our own K-9 hero- would you be ok if I shared your article on our wesbite for others to learn about DAD's?

5. KatieJane'smom

Share away! I wish you the very best in your endeavor. I notice your son is the same age as my daughter. I'm so comforted to know that Shots will be going to college with my daughter after she graduates from HS.

6. KatieJane'smom

Although Shots works 24/7 he does get to play and act like a dog. We have 2 other dogs and a cat in our house. He plays with all of them and interacts with the rest of the family members. However, his main focus and the person he wants to be with all the time is my daughter.

7. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

I am looking into one from Warren Retriviers for Livie. I am amazed at their abilities.