- advertisement -

Dogs for Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cmnordgren, Nov 9, 2008.

1. cmnordgren

cmnordgren Approved members

Today I was informed about dogs who are specially trained to detect the chemical changes of someone who is Type 1 in order to alert the individual or someone else of a hypoglycemia situation. You can read more at
    dogs4diabetes.com.

Anyone here have a D4D dog and can share more info.?

2. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

3. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

4. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I don't have a D4D dog...but I do know 2 people who have them, and their dogs are amazing. Also at the camp I go to, they bring some D4D dogs and they are great too. I know that they are trained very well, and the people at D4D are great.

5. Java

Java Approved members

How much does a alert dog cost?

6. goochgirl

Oh, dot org. sorry, yes, that's the one.

7. goochgirl

Anywhere from 5K on up. If you get one from a non-profit group, it is at least tax deductible.

8. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

diabetic alert dog

my daughter and my granddaughter both use diabetic alert dogs. My granddaughter, 3 yo, has a small beagle, trained by Pawsibilities Unleashed. The beagle goes with her to preschool - and everywhere else! My 15 yo daughter has a british lab which she has self-trained under the guidance of pawsibilities. both dogs alert to both highs and lows consistently. They are amazing. PM me for more info.

9. KatieJane

KatieJane Approved members

diabetic alert dogs

Diabetic alert dogs are awesome. I have the most amazing alert dog. She goes to school with me everyday & picks up on changes in my blood sugar about 20 minutes before it shows up on my meter. She's never wrong. You can see her on my website www.lildotspot.com

Sadly, my alert dog is having some health issues but the master trainer at Pawsibilities Unleashed just sent us a loaner dog a couple of days ago. He's so well-behaved & I'm getting him to recognize my low & high scents. You can read more about alert dogs at www.diabeticalertdog.com

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I am curious, how does pawsibilities help you train a dog if you are out of state? Very neat though, definitely.

11. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

we have driven to attend training sessions with Liz Norris, the trainer several times - also, she has given us various types of resources - books, dvd, etc. Additionally, we connect via phone and internet.

12. KatieJane

KatieJane Approved members

We flew, Liz Norris, the trainer here to our house to have an intensive week of training & we later drove to Kentucky for more training. Liz is in touch with us several times a week by phone or e-mail. She's always sending us new information that's very helpful. Sometimes we exchange videos so that she can tell us what we need to work on. You need a combination of a dog with a great temperment, an awesome nose for scent work, and a willingness to serve & problem solve.

For more information check out www.lildotspot.com

Katie Jane,
    Your friendly, neighborhood diabetic