- advertisement -

Dog vs. CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by doratheexplora, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Yep, I did lose my patience with you, for sure, so sorry about but from reading the pages previous to my "nasty reply" I felt that I was not the only one that was losing patience. I don't know how you will go look something up yourself that happened to me personally but go for it and good luck.

I DID "state where I got this info." if you would just read what I wrote. I said our endo told us at diagnosis. Yes, I think a dr. can be wrong but several endos from different states saying the same thing? I have a harder time with that one. Maybe there is a study out there, but, again, as I have already said I don't have it to pass along and I don't have the time or interest to go find it for you. If it concerns you that much then go look it up. I'm not concerned about it. I repeated what I was told by our endo, I stated the source, I apologized if I was wrong in that statement but you still won't let it go hence the "dog with the bone" comment which was supposed to be funny. I did NOT "flip out" when you gave false information. I did not 'hound' you about sending a link (which, again, I didn't say I got the info. off the internet. Sometime I actually read or talk to other professionals) I simply ask that you not give out false info. - end of story. Now this story needs to end or we can continue to drag it on out into infinity and beyond.

As far as people pm-ing me saying they were told the exact same thing by their endo - it happened. Sorry, they must have pm-ed me for a reason instead of posting on this thread so I won't betray them by posting their comments here. I suspect they were afraid if they commented on here they would get attacked as they have already seen here.

To the OP, PLEASE come back if you haven't already run away & pulled your hair out over your innocent question!! All I know about the OP, is what a previous poster observed, she (is it a she?) seems interested in finding out about alert dogs because that's the subject she has posted about the most. If she's reading this thread I'm sure she's found out more than she ever wanted to know. I know I have. This seems destined to be the longest thread in CWD history!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. KatieJane'smom

THANK YOU!!! I think we all need to lighten up and have a sense of humor, doggone it!

3. Baileysmom

Baileysmom Approved members

Oh, BOO HISS!!!:p My dog is offended! (remember, she is a very smart dog!);)

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thank Becky! That is really funny.. :)

I'm just concerned about the "welcome" we have given to a number of new folks who came to this site to share their experiences in managing diabetes with the assistance of their dogs. These are brand new folks, and the "hospitality" we extended to them surely leaves a bit to be desired.

I know that D management ideas and methods are often vigorously discussed and tested on this site (and there is good learning to be had by all in the course of such a discussion), but normally that will be a bunch of us who have been around for awhile.

Even if we disagree or feel we must challenge ideas being presented, a friendlier tone and an effort toward constructive criticism would go along way towards making new people feel more welcome here.. :cwds:

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Absolutely Wilf, I do agree. I also am concerned with newbies looking in here for information and possibly feeling that their d care is inadequate if they dont have a dog or a CGMS. That is why I pointed out earlier that we have none of these things nor a pump and have gotten along quite well for over 5 years now:cwds: D definetely keeps us all on our toes thats for sure

6. KatieJane'smom

Thanks for the reminder, Wilf!! It's been enough to run me off and I'm a long-time member. Things certainly aren't what they used to be around here. You might be interested to know that I actually received a pm from a new poster last night saying she was done with it and wouldn't be back due to....well, I won't say for fear of starting a whole other rant.

I'm guilty as charged. Although, I don't think I've said anything unwelcoming to any new poster, I certainly lost my temper and will try to not engage in that nonsense anymore. You are so right to give us a reminder. This has been a not very hospitable place. Thank you!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Sigh. PM. PRIVATE message. It's simply poor netiquitte to keep referring to mystical PMs from unidentified posters who all agree with your position but are too frightened of the forum baddies to post.

8. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I have learned so much on this one topic...thanks for sharing.

I am definitely going to look into both options...especially as Amb grows up and then goes off to college It would be nice to have that extra comfort knowing she is ok at night.

And I know why I am cranky....its that lack of sleep!!!:cool:

maybe it would be better to look into those options sooner :rolleyes:

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Ha ha :D

(message to short...)

10. KatieJane'smom

Big eye roll. Well, it has been enough to scare off a new poster. I can't help it if people pm because they don't want to be attacked - nothing mystical about it.

I did NOT say she agreed with my position at all. I said she was not going to post on here anymore.

11. Toni

Toni Banned

In all fairness to Kaylee's Mommy about being like a dog with the bone about the meters, I think it is VERY upsetting for Mom's to even contemplate that the meters are not giving blood sugar results in "real time." Frightening for a lot of Moms to even think about the fact that their child might be low before it shows on the meter, particularly young children who have experienced huge drops in a short amount of time. So we should all emphasize again that the glucometer's readings are to be considered accurate and the glucometer's readings are good enough. And not to worry. That is an important fact as well. And I think the Mom is genuinely concerned about this.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok - this Thread has become unhinged. Toni, I really doubt that Kim will be thrilled by your back handed affirmation of her - nor is it even an accurate summary of her concerns.

I think it's well past time for this thread to die.

13. Pawsibilities Unleashed

Pawsibilities Unleashed Approved members

Accurate Meters by David Mendosa

Accurate Meters

By David Mendosa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon, the meters that we use to check our blood glucose at home will be accurate and precise. They aren?t now.

But I am testing a meter currently sold only to healthcare professionals that is as accurate as any lab test. A new version of this meter will be on the home market in a year or so.

It is a myth that the Food and Drug Administration has set standards for meter accuracy and precision. You can read in many places that they can be off by 15 percent or even 20 percent. In fact, there is no limit on how far off they can be.

Two of my articles about a year ago exploded the accuracy myth:

My review of the FDA Diabetes Web site, which I originally wrote for my column on the Web site of the American Diabetes Association, expressed my surprise at the lack of standards. The director of the FDA?s Division of Clinical Laboratory Devices, Steve Gutman, M.D., told me that accuracy is not something they consider when the approve the marketing of blood glucose meters.

Then, my Diabetes Update newsletter for June 19, 2002, provided useful outtakes from my Gutman interview. He expects that we will have a standard for meter accuracy, after the FDA accepts the proposed International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standard. That standard will allow a 20 percent error.
    The only meter I have ever used that I can be sure is accurate and precise is the one I have on my desk right now. A Swedish company, HemoCue AB in ?ngelholm, Sweden, makes a little-known meter called the HemoCue 201.

While I know that the fine points of statistics are beyond me, I do know the essentials. And when it comes to statistics, I know that the coefficient of correlation is the most important consideration here.

In a HemoCue submission to the FDA, online at http://www.hemocue.com/hemocueus/pdf/G201packageinsert.pdf, which the agency cleared, HemoCue says that its HemoCue 201 has a coefficient of correlation of better than 98 percent. That?s hard to beat.

?The instrument is comparable with the best laboratory equipment when it comes to accuracy and precision,? writes HemoCue senior advisor Olle Hagstr?m. ?Many of the strip meter manufacturers use our instrument as reference.?

In fact, Ron Ng, the director of Medical and Clinical Affairs at Abbott Laboratories, MediSense Products, told a recent FDA meeting that for alternative site testing of one of its meters, ?We picked the HemoCue because it is accurate and precise, is 510(k) cleared for diagnosis of diabetes, and it requires only 5 microliters of blood for a test?With this set-up, 100 percent of the HemoCue arm results were clinically acceptable.?

The HemoCue 201 is also exact at the critical low range. Its range is, in fact, from 0-400 mg/dl. It has no inherent limitations related to hematocrit or known drug interferences. Some other glucose meters are sensitive to altitude, hematocrit levels, ascorbic acid (vitamin C) bilirubin, creatinine, acetaminophen (Tylenol), and urea. In fact, however, ascorbic acid, acetylsalicylic acid, bilirubin, creatinine, urea, acetaminophen, dopamine, ephedrine, ibuprofen, L-dopa, methyldopa, tetracycline, tolazamide, tolbutamide, and uric acid do not interfere with the HemoCue 201 meter.

The drawbacks of the HemoCue 201, Mr. Hagstr?m admits, system is the size (6"x3.5"x1.75"), weight (9 oz.), and the time for the measurement (15 to 240 seconds, depending on the blood glucose level). The microcuvettes used for sampling must be stored in a refrigerator.

It is also much more expensive than any home glucose meter?$600 plus about $1 per microcuvette. HemoCue introduced it into the U.S. professional market last July.

In Europe, HemoCue has just introduced a new model, the HemoCue Glucose 201+. The only difference is that it will store up to 600 measurements and connect to a computer through the USB port?the very first meter to use anything but the old-fashioned serial port.

?Our next generation meter will be available for the U.S. home market,? says Bruce Burgess, the general manager of HemoCue Inc., the U.S. arm of the Swedish company. ?I can?t give the specific year since it is in development, but it will be less expensive and smaller. It will not sacrifice any accuracy. Our intent is always to maintain a full level of accuracy and precision.?

In my own informal comparisons of the HemoCue 201 with the meters, for which I have current strips, the HemoCue 201 was invariably more consistent?precise?than LifeScan?s One Touch UltraSmart and Roche?s Accu-Chek Compact. Each test compared two results from the HemoCue 201 with two results from each or both of these other meters. I performed all tests within a minute or two.

My comparisons on the afternoon of May 29, 2003, are illustrative of the differences I found in several tests during the month. The HemoCue 201 returned mg/dl values of 91 and 88. The Compact returned 93 and 83. And the UltraSmart returned 87 and 78.

Generally, the UltraSmart returned lower numbers than either of the other two meters. The HemoCue 201 values generally different by about three points?much less than either of the other to meters I compared it against.

Currently, the emphasis in the U.S. home market for blood glucose meters is on speed and small sample size. U.S. meter manufacturers don?t talk much about the accuracy of their meters. That?s understandable, given the facts presented here. But as soon as HemoCue introduces a meter into the U.S. home market we will finally have an accurate meter. All other manufacturers will have to follow suit.

14. KatieJane'smom

THREADKILLERS UNITE!!!! We can do it, yes we can.

15. KatieJane'smom

They are obviously NOT so inclined and have left due to the "baddies". CWD certainly ain't what it used to be.

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

deleted.

(message to short)

17. Pawsibilities Unleashed

Pawsibilities Unleashed Approved members

Barking Alert Dogs

Just as a side note, a BARKING service dog is not a good way to go. It is one of the legitimate reasons you can be ask to leave any public facility. When your service dog interfers with the publics rights, then you can be removed from anywhere, legally. Barking is one of those intrusions into anothers private space, for instance at movie, school, work, medical facility, etc. and the dog should have a physical alert signal for your BG is going out of normal range, a very clear signal for your are High and a very clear physical signal for you are going low. You can teach the dog a Non-alert (your BG is fine, did I tell you to test (from the dog), and the dog should not default to barking unless it has been left no choice by the people it has tried to offer the correct signals too.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm not wasting space reposting the "article" put up by Pawsibilities Unleashed.

You don't have D, or a CWD do you? :rolleyes: This article is outdated, never PUBLISHED, on a commercial website and and was written by someone who's judgment I would not entrust with this analysis, to say the least.

19. Toni

Toni Banned

:confused:

Genuinely believe that must be the reason, can't think of any other reason. Don't know Kim personally and don't care whether she will be thrilled or not with "back handed affirmation," as you put it. Nor do I care for your sarcasm.

20. Toni

Toni Banned

Also, "Pawsabilities Unleashed" and "Dogs4Diabetics" are the two organizations that seem to have a good reputation. Heaven Scent Paws is being investigated or was being investigated. There is a "Diabetic Alert Dog" forum on Tudiabetes.com where a number of adults are asking about these dogs and not too much information given. I am sure the adults would appreciate information on these dogs. I would urge Pawsabilities Unleashed to post about the dogs there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.