- advertisement -

Does your public school post school lunch nutrition information online?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Oct 14, 2011.

?

Does your public school post lunch nutrition information online or have it readily available?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2011.
  1. Yes, it's online

40.0%
  2. It's not online but readily available

32.5%
  3. It's available but took a lot of work to get it

12.5%
  4. Not available/Don't know

17.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Or if not, how hard was it for you to get that information. I'm frustrated here, long story.

2. minniem

minniem Approved members

Our school district does, and it's readily available. However, they do put some kind of disclaimer at the bottom saying changes are possible. At times too, we found substitutions in the menu and had to adjust. But for the most part, it's reliable.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, our school does. That are part of the Nutrikids program. It will list all nutritional info such as carbs, fats, protein etc. However, it does not list ingredients. I know with our school if we approached them about ingredients they would be able to supply that info to us fairly quickly.

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I have researched it, but did not put to much effort in to it..I was just curious if they had it. We pack cold lunch...:)

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Our school nurse gives us the sheet every month, but Cameron never buys. We have found the carb counts to be SO off that we don't bother. And the food stinks, too! ;)

6. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Our school district posts carb counts but that's it.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Our school's lunch lady told me she'd work with me to make sure that Sophie always had food that she'd want to eat, if we decided to go that route. I find it's generally easier to just pack her lunch, and know how many carbs she's eating.

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I didn't know as my daughter always brings her lunch so I looked it up. Firstly there's no information whatsoever on her schools website I had to go to the district. They have allergen information but no nutritional info that I can find. And to be honest it wasn't obvious where the allergen info was either.

I have no idea if I were to call the school or district if it would be easily provided. I don't need it so I haven't. Although if they had it available you'd think they could put it up on their website.

9. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Our district posted it a couple of years ago when an RD intern offered to put it together for them. It's been semi updated once when I contacted them about inaccurate nut information. One of the kids on swim team has been type 1 D for 5 years, and his mom told me not to rely on it at all as the carb counts are way off. I believe it given what they list for two slices of Rudi's bread (about 1/3 what it should be.) Thankfully, dd prefers to bring a cold lunch, and we carb count everything she packs and send a little card I made up that lists the carbs, ratio, and insulin amount for carb correction followed by a line for bg correction and one for total insulin.

I'm glad they at least try, but wouldn't rely on the accuracy.

10. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

The nutrition info at my school wasnt online, but the school nurse had a book with all the info in it. All I had to do was ask before lunch and she would list off everything available that day and all their carb, sugar, and fat counts.

College doesn't though so I've had to "swag" (whoever invented that term... thank you) everything, with decent results.

11. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Our nutrition and/or school menu is not posted online. However if you need the nutritional information the head cook will e-mail it to you. We get our school menu with nutritional info e-mailed to us every month.

12. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

It's available but taking some leg-work. I still don't have it all, and school started Sept. 1.

13. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thanks for the responses. We do cold lunch four days a week here, but Lia likes to buy it once a week. In elementary school she had an aide who would find out from the cafeteria. Plus they had many years ago provided me a list of a few of Lia's favorite items which I gave to the aide. But if the item wasn't on that list the aide would go talk to the lunch ladies and they'd look up the carbs or show her the box (much of it is frozen food etc).

Now she is in middle school and on her own at lunch time. I asked the head of the food services for this information and let's just say it's like pulling teeth. I called Lia's old elementary school and they still have that short list which I'm going to get a copy of, but I don't know if the serving sizes are the same from elementary to middle school and the list is several years old so I'd like to make sure it's still current.

I was provided a very short and incomplete list a couple of days ago after several e-mails, a phone call or two etc and being promised this info a couple of weeks ago. I asked for all the main entrees. Not all the sides and stuff like that, simple dishes like mashed potatoes or rice we can figure out. I got a list of sixteen food items and at least half of those were not actual entrees, but just ingredients. I got an information sheet for the sweet and sour dipping sauce, a cheese slice and several other odd items. But the actual entrees, only about four or five of those.

It's in her plan that they provide this. I called the counselor who is the one who signed the plan on the school's part and she seemed befuddled that I would ask her to assist but I've had trouble getting responses to my e-mails and calls to the food service person. The counselor suggested I just send cold lunch. Um, I DO, but my child would like to buy hot lunch once a week and I'd like this information. So many school's have this available online and with regulations on how many calories/fat/carbs must be in each day's lunch I would think this information would be available somehow or another. I've been at this for five or six weeks now and am not much further then when I started.

14. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Our school district provides menu and info, but it's not reliable beyond elementary school (which they readily point out). That's because in middle and high school they substitute too often, so the info isn't reliable.

I packed for Bobby last year after dx, but this year he wanted to swag it because he hated missing the "good" lunch days at school. I was super worried about him guesstimating, but I am awestruck at how well he does - he has been nailing it.

So you may want to ask them - when you do get the info - how often they substitute. It may just be our district, but just in case...heads up. :)

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

How frustrating. This info has got to be readily available somewhere. What about the kids with food allergies? Doesn't that have to be listed? Don't they legally have to provide all the nutritional info? I thought they did. I actually knew a mom who had such a hard time getting the info that she got access to the walk in and went through all the frozen food to get the carb count.