- advertisement -

Does your pharmacy get the insulin out of frig too early?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

Background info: I recently switched from Walmart pharmacy to CVS. When I phone in the refill they ask about what time I will be there to pick it up so they know when to get it ready. Well, the first time, I noticed that the insulin did not feel cold like they just got it out of the frig, it felt like it had been sitting out waiting for me. I thought I was going to be there around noon and it ended up being several hours later. Today I gave them a later time figuring that if I showed up early they would not have processed it yet so it would still be in the frig. I even told them to keep it in the frig. I showed up about 45 minutes early and the prescription was ready. The box felt warmish, but the pens felt somewhat cool. I have read a few conflicting things online about storing the unopened insulin. I guess my question is, should I be concerned? Is it no big deal if it sits out for an hour or so and then I put it in the frig when I get home? Does anyone else's pharmacy do this? Walmart used to just get it straight from the frig when I got there.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

It's no big deal as long as it was in the temperature range - which is in the high 80's.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

As long as it's not sitting out the whole day, I think you'll be OK.
    When we used to get ours from CVS, they processed everything, but it was kept in the fridge all good to go. They just grabbed the bag.

If you feel strongly about it, you can always ask them to keep it in the fridge until you arrive, or refill and wait. FWIW, we get mail order and while it does come with cool packs, the cool packs feel room temp by the time we get it. Included is a letter stating that as long as it hasn't been exposed to extreme temps, it is fine.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Our CVS usually keeps in in the fridge till I'm there. Once it was not in the fridge and I refused to take it. I would speak to the head pharmacist since it seems to be a regular thing. Yes, insulin is good up to 28 days out of the fridge but that should be your choice, not theirs.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Absolutely! Because even though they may say it went out in the am, if you filled scrip the day before, they may have put it on the counter then.

I do have to say I find it odd that they don't keep it in the fridge. I don't know of any pharmacy around here that does it like poster described...

6. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

Usually they take it right out of the fridge in front of me. The one time I said something was when there was a problem with one of my other prescriptions that was taking some time to remedy, and the pharmacist set my bag of insulin down right on top of his hot computer tower. I asked him if he could please put it back in the fridge (or at least on the counter!) and he rolled his eyes at me. :rolleyes:

7. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I've had a couple snafoos with CVS, although the insulin being warm upon pickup has never been an issue. I switched to mail order about three months ago, so I no longer pick it up. When I used to pick it up, all the vial boxes were in one prescription bag, and they always pulled it out of the fridge when I got there. Now, was it sitting out prior to them filling my prescription? I certainly hope not, but I'll never know. I have had a few vials go bad before they should have once they were opened, but ever since I switched to mail order, I haven't had any issues.

8. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I go to CVS too and it's always in the fridge when I get there. I have to say, "I have a prescription to pick up from the fridge" or I'll sit there waiting while they dig through all of the scripts.

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I use the pharmacy at a smaller chain grocery store. They put the bag with the customer info etc in the drawer and then pull that when I arrive and tell them the name. THEN they grab the insulin from a small fridge they have under the register and put it in the bag.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Our pharmacy gets the insulin out of the fridge right when we get there. I'd request that your pharmacy wait until you're picking up your insulin before they take it out of the refrigerator

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

We use Wal Mart and they have bags hanging in alphabetical order wiith the prescriptions in them except things that are refrigerated, which have a tag in the bag saying it's in the refrigerator. Same for CVS when we used to use them. I can't imagine any pharmacy taking things out of the refrigerator until you pick them up.

12. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I have had this happen with a couple of pharmacies. They tend to think that because the insulin is good for 28 days at room temp. that it is OK to keep it out of the fridge. They need to be educated that we may not use up that prescription within 28 days, so it needs to stay in the fridge. I think they are used to selling insulin to adult T2's who use a lot more insulin than CWD need and therefore use up that vial more quickly.

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Personally I wouldn't worry about a few hours out of the fridge. Our pharmacy keeps it in the fridge but I wouldn't hesitate to about use insulin that had been room temp for a while.

That being said, if it is a big deal to you it's not too much to ask your pharmacy to keep it cool. After all, "the customer is always right." :)