- advertisement -

Does your homeowners Insurance cover the PUMP?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GRANDY, Jan 24, 2012.

1. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

Any insight or info would be appreciated.

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Ours does -- and we didn't have to do any extra riders or anything. I just called our agent to double-check, and this is what he told me.

3. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Mine does not in New Jersey. I pay for a separate policy.

4. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

I'm also in NJ but mine told me that they will cover theft or loss (except if we lost it swimming in the ocean).

5. Adrina

Adrina Approved members

Homeowner's insurance & the pump

I tried to put a rider on my pump when I first got it (4 yrs. ago). No go. I asked why I can't treat it as if I were putting a rider on for expensive jewelry. No way. I use Liberty Mutual Insurance. I don't know about other companies. The pump costs more than some diamond rings! Doesn't make sense. I now make sure I keep my old pump, just in case!

6. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Don't think so. American Family. I asked in the past. I should probably ask again.

7. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

ours does cover it. We were covered under our policy subject to our deductible, but I added a 0 deductible rider so it is covered 100% no matter what, that was worth the $105 a year to us, if something does happen to it, in the 4 years that the warranty is it is less than paying our deductible. We have Citizens insurance BTW

8. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Some do, some don't. Some do with a rider. They only way you'll know if yours does is to call and ask.

9. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

Hhmm. I called a couple of insurances with the intention that I would switch homeowners and they all told me no. I don't care so much now because we only insure the PDM and it's really cheap, but the Animas was $600 a year.

10. lisac

lisac Approved members

My insurance will only cover the pump as part of the contents of my home. Like if my house was to burn down, they'd pay me the x amount of insurance I have on my contents, but they would not allow me to cover it specifically, unless I wanted to put it on it's own policy which would cost me over $500 a year. Not worth it to me!

11. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

My daughter called today and they quoted her $600 a year.

12. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Well, there you go.

13. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

Yes, there I go.
    I was just wondering if it was normal protocal to charge or if it was included.

14. lisac

lisac Approved members

It sucks doesn't it?! Animas told me to make sure and add Hadlee's pump to our homeowners. I assume my rep thought it would be. So sad:( Can't anything be cheap...

15. GRANDY

GRANDY Banned

It's crazy these costs, it's criminal actually.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

But really what is the risk here? Our kids wear the pumps 24/7 and the manufacturer warranties it for 4 or 5 years against malfunction or routine damage. When exactly is it in great risk of getting lost or stolen? :confused:

17. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Mine is covered without a rider(can't get one) as long as l am wearing it(if outside the home) and someone pulls it off me, or if at home and I have it off for any reason, and for instance there's a fire or smoke alarm and I leave quickly and it's still inside, it's covered!

18. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Yeah; it's not like it's attached at the hip......oh, wait ...it is. :D

For once in my life this isn't meant to be sarcastic - just a bit funny. I hope.

19. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Ours is covered as a separate item, but no extra charge. As Phillip's is part of a trial at our hospital part of doing that we had to have it insured.

20. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

That's exactly why we didn't purchase the $600 rider! But, I think we'll be paying for the locker at Six Flags this year rather than just letting our towel bag sit waiting for us.:p