advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your family have a strange Christmas tradition?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mom2Deacon, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

We have an unusual tradition that got started a few years ago. We go out to or order in Chinese food. Alex's friend's parents ran a Chinese buffet that was open on Christmas day and he insisted we had to go. That is how it got started. The funny thing is though Alex is not a fan of chinese food. He will only eat the sweet and sour chicken.

--Sara

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My family will only eat appetizers on Christmas Eve, not a full meal. Who knows why?

I love the Chinese food thing, it reminds me of the Ralphie movie, A Chirstmas Story!

3. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

Our kids can't run to their presents first on Christmas morning. They have to come pile in our bed and wake us up first. Then we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus with candles in a pan of brownies. After this they can open gifts (after we have gone ahead of them with the camcorder and camera). After gifts, we have eggs and toast for breakfast followed by brownies!

4. Mom2Deacon

That is one of the best traditions I have ever heard!! Awesome!1

--Sara

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

this started when I was little - we'd all gather at the top of the stairs and wait for my father to check to make sure Santa had come, or worse, that it was so early we'd catch Santa in the act (because inevitably it was something like 4am when we'd wake) Of course, during that time he'd start the coffee, turn on the christmas lights, get the camera and we'd all be practically screaming for him to move faster.

So once my daughter got old enough we started this in our house too. The kids wake us up, and then dance around at the top of the stairs until we check.

Also, Santa doesn't wrap presents at our house, and I'm not sure if that's strange or not and mom and dad never give toys.

6. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

Thanks! I wish I could take all the credit. My husband grew up singing Happy Birthday with the brownies. On Christmas Eve, we always go to the candlelight service at church at 8pm. When we get home, we take pictures by the tree. Then each child gets one gift to open-chosen by me so it will be a "small" one. I was always allowed to open a gift on Christmas Eve when I was a kid.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We had friends who always made a birthday cake for Jesus. I think it's a wonderful tradition, so that the kids realize there is more to Christmas than Santa. Remember what the first 6 letters of Christmas spell.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

We do the open presents on xmas eve thing also!

On the Christmas Eves my kids are with their Dad, when I pick them up on Christmas, I always tell them Santa didn't come - my youngest freaks out...I say - well, when I left, the stockings weren't filled, and there were no new presents! And of course, when we get home, the tree is filled! True Christmas Magic! (Can I just say - having them there in the AM to watch the joy on their face is amazing, but having all Xmas morning to stuff stockings and load presents - rather then doing it in the middle of the night - PRICELESS!)

9. Mom2Deacon

A military friend who lived down the hall from us in Denver had me go into her house while they were at Christmas Eve to put out all the presents. STBX created a note from Santa and put it on their tree too. She said it was one of the best surprises the kids had.

--Sara

10. musicjunkie

musicjunkie Approved members

My kids get stuff from various 'people'
    The fanny fairy brings them undergarments
    Jack Frost brings them new hats and gloves(or longjohns or whatever the 'winter' need may be)
    The tooth fairy even throws a new tooth brush in their stockings
    Elves leave them little trinkets too:p
    cuz I'm weird like that:D

11. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

So they just have stuff un(non?)wrapped under the tree?? I'm so tempted to hand my daughter her stuff without wrapping it. I'm just not in the mood this year. And it's only a couple of small things. I don't need to be wrestling with a big tube of wrapping paper for that.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We wrap the gifts that WE give, so they do have things to unwrap but those things are never toys. But Santa nicely displays all the new toys, out of the boxes, all put together, all set up ready to play with. It's like they come out of the north pole and out of Santa's bag all fully assembled. lol. So before christmas they see all the presents from mom and dad all wrapped and waiting under the tree but then on Christmas morning they see alll Santa's presents.

My parents have always done this. And I know only a few other people who do. But it is so much easier than having to wrap two sets of gifts. And dh and I just sit there for a few hours watching the kids go nuts with their new toys. Then we'll eat some breakfast and then open gifts.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Geez - talk about lucky! I wrapped some stuff in bags last year and both my daughters said I jipped them! How dare I minimize their unwrapping experience?

14. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I think our Christmas tradition is a lot like Sara's -- we go out for Chinese food each and every Christmas eve. I've personally been doing it since I was a baby, as it was a tradition started by my father's parents when he was a child growing up in NYC. So, maybe going on 65 or 70 years or so if you count my Dad's years.

Even though we're here in Ghana, Chinese food is everywhere, so I'm happy to report that next Wednesday night, you'll find us enjoying some fried dumplings and sizzling beef in black bean sauce. I can't wait! :D

15. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I never can remember if it was my mom or dad's family that started it, but this is our tradition - boxes for Santa. My dad would bring home a medium sized, plain cardboad box and we decorated it, and put our names on it, for Santa to fill with presents. Sometimes my mom would cover the outside with butcher paper so you could see our drawings better. Then, Santa always used really pretty paper for our presents. One pattern for me and a different one for my sister. On Christmas morning, our stockings were in front of our boxes. And we always ate sausage balls for breakfast.

On Christmas Eve, we always opened one present. Pajamas. My parents always got my sister and I matching pajamas. We are 33 and 29, and still get pajamas from our dad to open at our own homes. Now, I get pajamas for DH and both of the boys. (I usually get myself some too, because Daddy doesn't pick out the best pjs.) :)

16. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

We have to walk down the steps, on christmas morning, in age order, the youngest going down first. That was all good and great, until my younger brother got to be a foot taller than I am:rolleyes:

We usually get our christmas tree in early december. We go to a christmas tree farm and cut our tree down ourselves. Well, even now that my two oldest sisters have kids and are married, we all gather at our (mom& dad)house and decoreate the christmas tree on Christmas Eve. We have never done it on any other day.

17. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Every year on my dad's side of the family, we have a different theme for our Christmas gathering. This year, since we're starting to finally run out of ideas, we're doing "mafia" with Italian food. In the past, we have done Mexican, with enchiladas, Italian with lasagna, northwoods with chili and soups, French with French onion soup, Swedish with I can't remember what, etc.
    So every year, we have a different kind of dessert, and if it's an ethnic theme, we'll each choose names of that ethnic origin to go by for that day... it's silly and fun, but hey... we never get bored with the same foods every year!

18. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

The only special Xmas tradition in our house is one that has been passed down for generations in my DH's family! It is called a "Dummkopf" (German for little dummy). Everyone gets 1 Dummkopf present: It is a small, inexpensive gift wrapped in loads...and I mean LOADS !! of newspaper and taped with duck tape! The fun is in the un-wrapping of it! It usually turns out the size of at least a football or two but inside is nothing but a pack of gum, or a hair clip, or a candy bar etc. It's my girls' favorite :)!!!
    :D

19. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I like this, I think I may steal this!! We do appetizers on Christmas eve while we open presents, just our family. My kids are so in to traditions, I think I'll tell them we are going to start a new one!!

We also track Santa on norad, anyone else??

20. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

This is exactly what we do and what my family did when we were kids. The boys wake us up and the three of us wait at the top of the stairs while Bill checks to see that Santa came, turns on the tree lights and music and readies the camera. My boys love to watch the old videos of their reactions to favorite presents. :)