- advertisement -

does your D child have problems wetting the bed at night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandapanda1980, Dec 12, 2010.

1. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

This was also one of the indicators for us that we knew there was a problem. Vincent was 9 and had not wet the bed since he was 3 - then all of a sudden every night he was wetting the bed. We've since learned, at least for him, if he is over 300 when he goes to bed then he will wet it. But he rarely ever goes to bed that high anymore.

2. timsma

timsma Approved members

My boys were the same way. Well, one would wake up dry sometimes, but the other (my D son) never did. I could tell what his BS was based on how wet his pullup was (sometimes he wore 2 to bed even). Anyway, yes, their bodies should be able to wake them up to go during the night. It doesn't just automatically happen though. This is where the Potty Pager comes in. I really cannot recommend it enough! It trained both my sons within one month of use. Please, if you want to stop washing sheets, bedding/clothing daily, try this out. I do not have any financial interest in this at all. I just know it has worked for everyone that I have recommended it to. I was first told about it from a friend that had a neighbor who was a Doctor and his 3 kids used it and it worked for them. So I bought 2, one for each son. At the time they were 6 and 8 years old. The pediatrician always said he wouldn't prescribe anything for them until they were age 8. So when Tim hit 8, he prescribed a thing that attaches to the bed and alarms/buzzes when wetness hit it. I had heard that it didn't work much of the time. Then my friend told me about the potty pager so I tried that as she told me about the success of her neighbor kids (2 boys, 1 girl). Because it cured them of peeing in the bed, I have to recommend it every chance I get (although I get tired of repeating the same thing often, lol). Somehow, it trains them to wake to the feeling of having to go. I honestly don't understand why this works, but it does. Please, if you are frustrated, and your child is as well, and their self esteem is 'in the toilet' due to wetting the bed, try this. I have never bought anything more worthwhile in my life!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Actually Steven was dry shortly after diagnosis. His older brother on the other hand was wearing Goodnites until he was a little over 7. I also had problems with bedwetting as a child so I knew it wasnt anything to be overly upset about. One thing that helps is to have your child strengthen her bladder muscles during the day. When she feels the need to go during the day ask her to hold it for a few more minutes. Not until she uncomfortable of course, but this will help her bladder muscles at night.

4. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

Zach is 6 1/2 and he wears Goodnights. If he is high, he will wet THROUGH one of them and wet the bed. If he is under 200, no problem. We make him use the bathroom before bed, but if he is high (>250) he usually has an issue.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I believe there is some sort of connection in the brain to hold the urine at night that doesn't kick in for some kids until they are older.

My husband got my son up every night to go to the bathroom for years and years, otherwise my son would wet the bed, regardless of his bloodsugar. The goodnight disposables were too expensive for us. My son would barely wake up and would consent to be walked to the bathroom.

I don't think it had anything to do with diabetes.

6. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

My ds is only 3 but he is so wet at night he usually soaks right through the pull up. I do believe it is d related. We run him higher at night around 180 and that is still high for the body. I feel better knowing it's not just us having this problem.

7. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

My oldest son only wets the bed when his bg is high prior to bed, but my sisters son (non D) wet the bed until he was 10 or so. In reality there are any number of reasons for it to occur. Have her doctors ruled out all other medical reasons or do they just assume it's due to her diabetes?

8. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

Caleb did before he was dx'd