- advertisement -

Does your D child have a phone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sarahconnormom, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

I know I've seen it mentioned several times.
    Does your D child have a cell phone?
    At what age did they get it?

Connor is 8 and I've thought a lot about this because he likes to go on playdates.
    I know my dh will be against it because of his age so we have not discussed it yet. I think it would make Connor more secure knowing he could call me anytime without having to ask to use a phone.

2. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Thinking about activating one of our old ones for Grace who is 8 - would give her and us extra security (although now all she wants to do is have one and be cool and text)

3. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

im trying to decide the same thing for when dd starts school this year as i already have an extra activated phone due to x leaving and both phones were in my name and i cant turn the other one off without paying out the contract but even before this i considered getting one ...still havent made up my mind yet

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My 12 year old got one when he was 11. I am thinking of getting one for my 9 year old.

Makes it easier for them to call and ask bolus info when I am not when them.

5. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

My kids have one they share. Not because of D. They're getting to the age where they're away from me more and more. I like to know they can get hold of me if they need to. Phillip especially is starting to go biking on his own, or with friends. I just feel safer if they can ring me or text me if anything went wrong. My kids are 10 and 12, and got the phone last year.

6. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We bought a firefly when Sean was invited for a sleepover shortly after diagnosis. We've since replaced it with a regular cell phone and our D and non-D sons use it whenever their away from us. We actually get very little use out of it, and our boys are terrible about calling or answering. But for $10 a month it makes me slightly less nervous about letting him play or sleep over at friend's houses.

7. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We wrestled with this also but in the end we got both our boys a phone.
    They got some money from a great grandmother who passed and they chose to get a phone each. They are prepaid ones that we give them a $10 top up card each month and that gives them 5000 txts for free and they just pay for the phone calls.

BUT.... Sam was 13 and Tyler was 11 at the time. Tyler had been dx about 3 months when he got one. We decided that with them catching a public bus and walking a couple of kms to and from school that we felt much more comfortable with them having a way to contact us if anything should happen.

So far they haven't had to use it!

Before D, it was over our dead bodies that they were going to get a cell phone before they were 15, with or without great grandmas money!:D

8. LJM

LJM Approved members

Yes, he got it at age 11. It is an invaluable tool that allows him to have freedom, yet reach us if he has any D related questions or problems.

9. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I got Tyler a phone when he started venturing out without a grownup around town on his bike etc. He doesn't take it if he is going to hang out at a friends house because he will just use their house phone if he wants/needs to call me.

It was great when he went to a non-d camp a couple of weeks ago, he would test and then call me from his cell phone and let me know what his bg was.

I think I like the added security of the phone more than he does:p

10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I've been thinking about it for play dates/sleepovers. I'm a tad on the overprotective side as it is and at nine Lia has only been to two friend's houses without me. And she's getting frustrated.

The one mom is great and we have no problems there. The other one, well, she's iffy. Lia knows how to do anything she would need as long as I'm available by phone or only a few minutes away. We live in a fairly small town so all of her friends live no more than five or ten minutes away by car.

She can of course use their phone, but she feels funny asking and it would be so much easier for her to just whip out her own. And I wouldn't feel I'm bothering them if I just want to call and check on her. I have a spare phone but it's missing the back cover. And the verizon store doesn't carry them so I'd need to contact LG and etc, so I haven't done it yet. It's the same model I have and can be programed so she can only call/receive calls from the numbers I authorize etc. I need to get on this.

But that would be all it's for. She wouldn't be carrying it around otherwise. It would be my extra phone that she would borrow, not HER phone. Not yet lol.

11. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel got one at 13 when he started going to movies and ball games and just being dropped off.. it was the year before dx.

12. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Yep! I got him one this summer and it's been great. Carson will be 9 next week. I got a kajeet phone and am able to control what phone numbers he can call, when he can call, and what he can do w/the phone (text,internet,etc.) WONDERFUL!

13. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Caleb got one last year about 3 weeks into first grade. He "lost" his class and was in sheer panic when he finally found them at recess. I got him a phone the next day and told him if got lost again to call me and I would get him some help. It never happened again, but he carries the phone everyday at school. We got a Firefly. It can only dial pre-programmed numbers, and can only accept incoming calls from numbers we pre-authorize. It's been great.

14. cpm122

cpm122 Approved members

We got one for our boys about 18 mo. ago (before dx) They were to share it when they were going anywhere on their own around the neighborhood. Otherwise, I kept hold of it. They were 10, 9 and 7. The 7 yr old never got to use it as he tended to lose it. After dx, we got an additional phone for hunter because I was worried when he biked to a friends he could go low before getting there or when at the park w/ friends. I like it when he would be at a sleepover I could call late and remind him to check and I wouldn't have to bother everyone else. Never planned on one of them having a phone full time at this age but things change.

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

William has one - he is 7. We use Kajeet and that is a great pay-as-you go service made for kids. He uses it for play dates or when he is out scootering up and down our block - he isn't that far away and is always with someone (his age or his brother) but it is nice he can just call.

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I leave my kids in the daycare area of the gym I workout in and I give the phone to Carson even then. Once he told someone he felt low and they thought he meant he was lonely. Ugh. Fortunately he had tabs on him and just at them, but they refused to come get me because they were just stupid. So now I give him a phone :eek:

17. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

nope. message to short

18. cheri

cheri Approved members

My son, John-13, has a phone. He had it before diagnosed. He got it at @ 9 years old. I liked to reach him while at friends, ex's house. I now call him in the morning, lunch, snack, etc to remind him to eat & take insulin. I put him on my plan for only $10/month. It is a lifesaver & I feel less stress knowing what he is doing/feeling/eating.

19. buggle

buggle Approved members

We're thinking about it. But Brendan is going to be toting around the Navigator receiver and the OmniPod PDM next year and I don't know how he'll fit a cell phone in with all that. I also hate the idea of him microwaving his brain, though he would only be calling about corrections and bolusing for school snacks.

20. jbsmom

jbsmom Approved members

we got Janelle a cell phone last fall, we felt that being in middle school and changing classes every period would make it harder for her to call if she had a problem. She was 11 1/2.