- advertisement -

Does your cwd have a Dexcom?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Feb 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

I have been looking into pumps and just starting to look into cgm's. I go to Dexcom's website to request information. The first question asked is "How old is the person that will be wearing the cgm?" I put in 10 and the next window says it is only for adults. I know from reading on here many of you have Dexcom. Do you just call the company and talk to them? How did you get it for your DD or DS?

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It is only approved for use in adults, so they can't advertise or state otherwise but you can get it for your cwd. Give them a call, they'll talk you through the process. My son has had one since May and we LOVE it. Insurance covers with no issues, no problems in any way with MD prescriptions and paperwork filled out.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

If you call Dexcom they will talk to you "in general" but not specifics about using it on your child. If they get a script on file they can talk more specifically. But they were able to answer all my questions as I had none that applied just to him or to children.

If you get a script (dr's prescription order) they can talk freely. If you need help getting insurance to cover it you may need to get the script first.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Exactly.

My son is 14 and on a Dexcom for a little over a month now.

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son was 9 when he started using dex. I got that "under 18..." message too and was confused. My husband decided to print out the forms on the dexcom website and we filled them out and faxed them in directly to dexcom. They contacted our doctor and insurance for us. I had to give information on how many lows/highs my son had in a certain time frame and then it was covered by our insurance ...and they mailed it out. The whole process took less than 2 weeks for us.

6. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

I was told by the Territory sales manager

"If you have any questions in regards to Dexcom, you can contact Medical Affairs at 1-888-738-3646."

Our insurance said they won't cover cgm at all.

7. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

My 5 year old has had a Dexcom since he was 4 years old. We didn't have a problem getting one at all - we just told his endo we wanted one, and he did all the paperwork for us. Our neighbor actually works for Dexcom, so she trained us and whenever I have a question, I ask her. But I've called Dexcom support many, many times and they've never had a problem or questioned the fact that a child is using it.

8. buggle

buggle Approved members

What insurance do you have? We've had both Anthem (Blue Cross) and United Healthcare and they both covered CGM. We've always had good luck, but others have had to keep bugging their insurance company and appealing to get CGM coverage.

9. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

your all so lucky....:cwds: I want a dexcom soooooo bad:(

10. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Both my CWD's have Dexcom 7 Plus CGM. Wife and I also do (all 4 of us Type 1D people)

11. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

My son has been using the dexcom since he was a little over 2. You need a script from the endo and insurance approval. I think it's more helpful in the little ones. I must say the Cgm is my best friend :)

12. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

Thanks everyone. I did contact the company and the local Rep called me today. She emailed me some forms I have to fill out to see what our insurance coverage is. He is under 6 months diagnosis, so we'll see. My DS demo'd the OmniPod for the last 3 days. It's the only pump he's really interested in. The rep mentioned that DexCom is working with OmniPod and Animas for the cgm integration. She said I should also demo the Guardian as well to compare them. I just wonder if I should? Did you all try both before you decided? Thanks.

13. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

We are on day 3 with the medtronic CGM, we went that route because despite hearing about the larger needles than the dexcom, we knew our 10 yr old would prefer one pump/cgm. (We havent started pumping yet, went CGM first because of his lows since diagnosis).

Our first insertion was no big deal, he said it barely hurt. The cgm has predicted several lows already, one at night in between the 12 am and 3 am check we normally do and after having a steady 140-150 for the previous 3 hours. I actually went to sleep thinking tonight will be smooth sailing only to be awoken by the alarm predicting a low and showing two down arrows. He was 72 on the blood meter. Today at school he had another prediction, and caught it with bg of 80 going down fast.

Our insurance covered it 100%, even though he is 10 and even though he was only diagnosed 3 mos ago. I am very thankful and feel so much better informed and prepared. Good luck with your insurance and whatever decision you make.

14. William

William Approved members

To get approval, we had to send in a months worth of readings and within those there had to be evidence of need: a few readings in the 40s iirc. It being just two months after diagnosis, we had a couple. We were also told to we could include a letter with the readings explaining why it would be of benefit to our son (whom was just 16 months old at the time so unable to commuicate lows). Normally our insurance company requires that the child is using the pump in order to receive approval, but they gave us approval before we got the pump which was wonderful. I would hate to imagine not having a cgm with a toddler.

15. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We did not try either CGM before jumping in.

We went with the Dexcom after to talking to a lot of people, including our endo. We chose Dexcom for the smaller (and less painful) insertion and the longer sensor life.

We do not pump, so integration was not an issue for us.

16. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

We started our Dexcom today. In order to get ours the endo sent a script to Dexcom and then the reps were able to answer our questions. For insurance we had to send 60 days of BG values and the endo had to send a letter of medical necessity.

The Dexcom is technically approved for those 18 and over, the company cannot discuss the system if you are not over 18 unless you have a prescription. After speaking with our rep today, of course take this with a grain of salt, the newer generation Dex with next generation sensor will be pediatric approved and the receiver distance will be 25ft.

17. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

My son is going on 4 years this summer using dexcom. He used it before pumping, and while the pump is great, the dexcom is used 24/7 without a break. He got it about 9 months after DX, and IMO we should have insisted on getting sooner. It is a great help with diabetes for us.