- advertisement -

Does your CWD get more mosquito bites than your other DC?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Teacups, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Mine does. Always has. Wonder now if it was the difference in his BG even before dx. I even remember teasing him that he must be sweeter than his brothers. Anyway, we were chatting about it in the car as he scratched several new bites and he wondered if there was a connection. So thought we'd ask! :rolleyes:

2. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

I've thought about this too, my son SEEMS to get more since dx but maybe I'm just paying closer attention.... he must have gotten one trapped in his shirt the other day, he had 14 bites all right around his belly button :eek:

3. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Yes, my dd does get a lot more bites. She also had gotten them infected from scratching them too much at least two times and needed antibiotics. I have also wondered if it is because her blood is sweeter.

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My non-d child gets WAY more bites than my d child....

If you spend too much time comparing EVERY little thing between your child with diabetes compared to your child/ren without diabetes you will find LOTS of different things...but most are not even related to diabetes, just coincidence...you could really drive yourself insane by doing this.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I do... But I have done forever (like WAY before I got D). I doubt that it's related.

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Yes, but she always has and has only had D for one year. But I also get bit more than anyone. I can be with 10 people and I will be the only one who gets bit.

7. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

My 2 blonder, lighter skinned kids and my husband get bit way more than I do (brown hair and eyes) or my other son (more of of a brownish blonde and not as pale). Who knows why?

8. LJM

LJM Approved members

Non-D child gets way more and swells up quite a bit. They like DH too. Leave me and DS alone (and we go to Minnesota every summer so we have tested this out quite a bit).

9. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

It's the opposite for my son. Last summer he didn't even have one bite, I on the other hand, had lots:mad:. I thought maybe the insulin made him less appealing. :D

10. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Thanks for responding! Ds and I are having fun reading your comments. :cwds:

11. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

NO! My DD rarely gets bitten. My oldest who doesn't have T1D and I (also don't have T1D) are the ones who always get bitten. I currently have 16 bites from being outside an hour the other evening. DD with D has zero. My husband is always amazed at how I get eaten up. That night I even came in and tested myself because I had so many and I remember our endo saying people with D tend to get more bites. I was 106 and that is after eating pasta for dinner.

12. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Not only does my CWD get more bug bites, she gets skin infections that make them last all summer. Even with meds (oral and ointment) her legs and arms are crazy looking. Huge red blisters from every bite and they all stay for months so by September she is a huge mess. I wonder if she actually gets bitten more of if the reactions just make it look like it... We've already had our first MRSA test of the season. :rolleyes:

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I got a lot of bites one particular summer (the one when I was eleven) and otherwise have rarely gotten bitten. I think it's because I tend to wear pants and long sleeves.
    I don't know how often my brothers get bites.

14. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

My D son has really bad reactions to mosquito bites, but he's been having bad reactions since before he was diagnosed. He and my husband have the same blood type, and my husband also gets bitten up and he's not diabetic. My and my non-D son don't get bitten up and we have the same blood type. Maybe it also has something to do with blood type?

15. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My 11 yo non-d daughter gets eaten alive. No one else including my daughter with d gets as many. We were all outside last night, we all wore bug spray, I have 1, Rachel has 22 by her count. I gave her benedryl to sleep last night.

16. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

nope. I get most of them :mad:

17. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

The girls have it in my family...my daughter and I are the mosquito magnets...my nonD son is probably second...and my son with D comes in third with my husband reaping the benefits of our tastiness by not getting many bites at all!:p

18. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I have an 11 yo Rachel, too...and the mosquitos love her as well!!:)