- advertisement -

Does your CWD fight you during nighttime checks?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by McKenna'smom, Oct 7, 2011.

1. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I swear my DD channels Julia Roberts from Steele Magnolias (you know the salon scene when they try to give her OJ) when I check her at night. She is combative and refuses to give me her finger. Usually I can prick her finger and not even wake her up, but inevitably she is sleeping on both hands and I can't get one out without waking her up.

Last night she was 70 so I had to wake her up to drink a little juice, you'd think I was trying to poison her she fought me so much.

Anybody else battle at night?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

The first month or so after dx, Danielle would wake up for every single night check and scream and cry and rant. It would be a 15 minute ordeal just to get a drop of blood. I thought to myself, how are we going to live like this??? That faded away and she started sleeping through bg checks and even shots, which amazed me. Now every once in a while she will pull her finger away and give me her "prefered" finger, because at night I use fingers she doesn't use in the day. And sometimes if she is low and I have to give her juice she will only drink a little and then refuse any more. But it is pretty rare. All in all she never even wakes up. Usually (for bg checks) I am in and out of her room in a matter of seconds.

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

No, she usually sleeps right through the checks. If she's low, she drinks the juice and konks right back out. Sorry you are having a wrestling match; no fun in the middle of the night.

4. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Have your tried checking a toe instead? Have you tried having her drink through a straw? I think it's easier for a lot of kids to drink from a straw when they're groggy.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Yep, we check the toes too and use a straw.

DD actually has an Orthodontic "face mask" that she wears at night for her overbite so she definitely needs a straw :p

6. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Yes...I just try to ignore the lovely comments. If she won't give me a finger, I try again 5 minutes later when she has fallen back asleep and if she still won't, she gets the "you don't have a choice in the matter" voice and the battle begins. I know that deep down she appreciates that I check her at night and she does not want to do it herself, so I ignore the sleep-interruption induced nastiness. Often, it's also the high or low blood sugar making them moody.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Great advice - we toe check. Have her test it out when awake - Coco often has me test her toes (she actually no longer lets me check her fingers - if I am testing her, it is toes toes, big toes - all the time)

And ditto the straw - only way I can get her to drink.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

My two cents as a T1... as a teen through my twenties/thirties I could be very resistant to help when low. What ended up helping was, experience and time, calm talks with those who tried to help and the thing that helped the most was better control so that my drops were not so rapid. That happened with better insulins and more advancements in BG testings. As a T1 I cannot tell you why one resists the help but it is uncontrollable and the calmer the helper the better. It can become a routine (the help needed, i.e. eat some sugar) so that the resistance declines. It is hard but it does help to talk with the person after, i.e. the next day about their reaction, just talk not being critical, talk in a how can I do this in a better way. It will sink in over time. Those fast drops are hard. Once you are really low it is hard. Believe me your T1 feels horrible about how they act. It is bad. Ali When it is just in the night and no lows which I have no experience with someone else checking then the suggestions of toe tests and straws sound perfect. Then you are dealing with just plain "do not wake me up" syndrome. Sorry I probably confused the issue, should have gone back to the original post.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Most of the time No, I have no problems. But there are times that like you said, Ashleigh is sleeping on her hands. I try to grab one and she yanks it back, it's a struggle to test her sugar. The one time I poked her finger, grabbed the meter, and while i was grabbing the meter she pulled her hand back underneath her body. Argh! So i had to re-poke her :(.

10. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

Usually the checking isn't a problem but of he needs juice then it can get bad fast. It used to be much worse. Hopefully he doesn't go back to fighting later once he is bigger, he is so strong already and he's not even 5!

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

This may not apply to any of your kids, but when my son is low, juice tastes horrible to him. I didn't know it for years until one day at the endo's office he was slightly low and they brought him a can of orange juice. I don't know why he didn't tell me before that, or why that would be the case, but from then on I gave him chocolate milk or something other than juice for lows. Only skim milk will work quickly, with or without the chocolate.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

Very rarely does Cameron fight me - usually he just raises his arm like a zombie and sleeps through it all. ;) We also use juice boxes with straws and he sleeps through that as well. I'm always amazed at how he's able to sleep through it all....

13. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I often say very funny things like "just go away!" or "I'm locking my door!" or why do you keep coming in here?" when I'm only partly awake, but I dont really 'fight' my parents (atleast at night:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

14. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Lauren doesn't usually fight the finger poke or juice or milk (or even really wake up). But a couple of nights ago, she forgot to re-attach her pump after a shower before bed and was quite high by 1:00 a.m. I felt around for the pump to correct and couldn't find it and was asking "Where is the pump?" Lauren sat bolt upright, felt for it and then started yelling, "It's disappeared! It's disappeared!" Yeah... to the bathroom counter. She doesn't remember it at all, but thinks it's hilarious.

15. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

is the toe just as accurate as the finger? I don't know why but I am nervous to try it.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

We have tested it and it has come in within a couple of points. We only use the big toe, but that is because she says the other ones hurt. She snored right through her 2 and 4 am checks last night!