- advertisement -

Does your child test independently in school, or elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Just curious!

Jason was diagnosed a little after he turned 4. At the beginning, finger pokes were a nightmare. He fought...hard...against them. In a few weeks he was poking himself, with supervision. After 9 months, he was doing it independently. Since September he has been doing all his school pokes in his class, as scheduled by me, or wherever he feels low or high. Aside from his midnight and AM pokes, he does all his home ones as well. He treats his own lows and can treat his own highs as well. Unfortunately, the law in NY is that he must go to the RNs office at school to give insilun, but he does it himself there.

There are 6 D kids in his school, counting him. 2 in K, one other in first, one in second and one in 4th. He is the only one who does his own pokes. I guess I was just a bit suprised.

2. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb is in high school and he is the only one that is allowed to check his bs anywhere but the nurse's office. I fought and fought for the right for him to be able to check w/o going to her. However, he is NOT allowed to check in class. He has to leave and go to the bathroom, hallway or his locker. I am still not happy with that but it is better than having to walk to see the nurse.

Before he went on the pump he was not allowed to carry his insulin with him. He had to go to the nurse. In the beginning the school was not sure they were going to allow him to dose through his pump. They tried to make him have to go to the nurse just to bolus. That did not fly with me.

Now, Kaleb never goes to the nurse for anything. He does keep extra supplies and juice in her office.

I am still fighting for his right to test in class. There have been a few times when he felt low that he just went ahead and tested under his desk. No one said anything.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When I was first dx'd, my school were very accomodating, I was told I could use the disabled bathrooms for testing and injections if I wished to (because they are cleaner and have more room in). I did that at first, but then realised that I would be testing much more often than just before each meal, and now I do it wherever I am. I clear it with individual teachers, and nobody's had a problem with it. If I needed a shot I would usually ask the teacher to leave and then do it in a bathroom or the medical room, but occasionally if I knew the surrounding people were okay with it, and it was not too obvious, I'd just do a quick correction shot in the classroom.

Nowadays, if I need to do a quick site change I go to the medical room. I do boluses and BG and ketone checks in class.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack is 5, has no interest in doing his own testing, and I don't see it happening anytime soon. :)

5. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Deanna has always tested on her own and in class, or where ever she is. I insist on this and it is put into her 504. When she was on MDI she would give herself her lunch shot either in class or with the teacher in the lunchroom, However her school didn't have a nurse then.. the school she goes to now does have a nurse but its a large campus and I made it very clear that she will not have to take time out of class to do a 3 sec. BG test. and she is now on the pump so doing a correction or a meal bolus is done on her own now. (she keeps an emergency kit in the nurses office) I just scheduled a meeting with her teachers and nurse at the start of the school year and made it very clear that Deanna will test and treat low or high BG in class or anywhere on campus. I didn't give them a choice..I guess they all knew I was not going to bend on the matter and have not had any trouble with the school. ( I think they all think of me as the BIT-H mom lol) at the start of the school year Deanna offers to explain to her classes what her pump is and what her tester is and answer any questions,, all the kids are really intrested in all of it and by doing a "show and tell" type thing really seams to make everything go quite well.

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Amanda does her own testing at school. We have a nurse come to supervise two checks before each recess/nutrition break.

I was just chatting with the nurse the other day and she mentioned that with how competent Amanda is there will be no need for nurse next year. (things are a bit different here in Canada; we do not have full time nurses) I'm okay with her not having a nurse but I want her to be able to test in class which she does not do now.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby, diagnosed at 4, now 8 tests in her class at school, the nurse will test her at lunch. If the mood strikes her, or if we ask her, she will test at home. What I find is that if there is someone who Abby trusts available to test, she'd much rather have them do it. No for fear, but more because it's quick and easy.

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris is 12 and, until he broke his arm last week, he was the only person who ever checked his blood sugar.

Chuck

9. LJM

LJM Approved members

Carter always tests on his own, and anywhere on campus he wants to, including in class. He does bolus and test with nurse before lunch, but I am thinking to try to exclude him from having to do that next year. His principal has a daughter (Type 1), so he is all about these kids getting to take care of themselves if they can.

10. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

This is definitely one of those YDMV things.

Our approach is that our boys will have a lifetime of checks on their own. Until then, it's our job, and their job just to be kids (and cooperate and wash hands).

Early on in our life with D, our social worker cautioned us (strongly) against expecting too much of the medical care to be done by the children. She pointed us to research (which I cannot source off hand) indicating that children who do too much when they are young are more likely to rebel against it when they are teens. She, along with our endo, recommends that we view all medical care as our responsibility until our kids are 18.

Sometimes, Brian will do his own checks at home, and if we're all busy (read: sleeping in), he will check Andrew too.

Brian checks himself at school (under nurse supervision either direcly or over the phone) and at the gym, but prefers having myself or hubby do it at home. Andrew isn't interested in doing it all, but every now and again, he wants to try.

11. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Jenny goes to school in NYC too, but she bolus's where ever she is, and does all her diabetes care by herself. When she is not in school I do most of the care.

12. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip's always had to do everything himself at school. Our schools don't have nurses. He's done his own finger pokes and injections from the start. And when he went on the pump he did the site changes himself. He won't let me do injections (if needed) or site changes at all. He was not quite 8 when he was diagnosed.

13. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

Gabriella is 7 and she tests in her classroom or wherever she is when she feels like she needs to test. She goes to the nurse before lunch for an "official" and supervised bg check before bolusing. We don't allow her to bolus herself without an adult supervising it so she only boluses in the nurses office right now.

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think all the kids keep their supplies at the nurse's office. I don't know if it's a rule or not, but we never had a problem with it. My daughter checks herself there and the nurse logs it. If the nurse isn't there first thing in the morning, my daughter just goes in to check and writes her number on a post-it. If she needs to call me, she will.

She does have a meter in her bag though, in case she needs to check on the bus.

15. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

At home Hunter does almost everything. He likes it that way, I think for him it gives him some control over something that he really can't control. Only when he is not feeling well does he let Joel or I help him test. We do the middle of the night checks but sometimes for those he wakes and insists on doing them. At school he checks at the nurses office but does it all himself.
    He knows that at anytime we will do it for him without any question, he just prefers to do it himself and has since about a month after DX at 51/2.

I do worry about burn out but can't force him to let us do these things as I feel that would make it worse. We just let him know we are there and more than willing to jump in and do it all for him.

16. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Tests Everywhere

Our son (age 11) has been testing his own bg levels in the classroom since first grade. I did not know that other states have restrictions that limit checking bg or locations on giving insulin. Here in Montana the school nurses have been very supportive and our son does not think twice to check at his desk, the back of the classroom or in other subjects like PE or music. He is on MDI and uses a Humalog pen when away from home. He, like many others I am sure, has tested his bg and given insulin in so many locations: On a rollercoaster that had stopped at the top of a loop, on a boat in rough Pacific Ocean waters, on a boat deep sea fishing in Mexico, at tables of fastfood places to tables of fine dining, in planes, in trains on ski hills and hiking trails, most every type of sport field or court. I suppose we just started out having him doing his own checking and never changed. We have never had him go in a bathroom for care of his diabetes and he is so quick at it that I have forgotten to watch if others around us notice.The only part of the day he does not check alone is all through every night and that is because he has unawareness and unstable readings when sleeping. I am glad you wrote because it got me thinking.

17. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Tori does her own checks at school and has an office gal that logs it and supervises her entering the number into the pump. It has been that way since she was diagnosed and she prefers to do it herself.

18. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ian is allowed to test anywhere, and keep a meter in the classroom, but he prefers to go to the nurse. (I think he's sweet on her, myself) He is the only one in school with diabetes.

Next year he'll be in 4th grade and we are absolutely going to start having him self test/bolus in the classroom at snack time and for "am I low?" checks. He misses too much walking back and forth. He will still have the choice to go to the nurse at lunch or other times but I want him to get into the habit of doing some of this on his own before he goes to middle school, where he will not being going to the nurse.

at home he is half and half. He'll check when he feels like it, other times he wants me to check. Either way is fine with me.

19. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia tests and treats anywhere and does the physical aspects herself. BUT she has an aide to oversee everything and help determine what needs to be done. The aide also adds up her carbs. Lia often knows what to do herself, but she is very impulsive and rushes too much (ADHD). I'm not yet comfortable having her do it all herself with no guidance. Especially the math.

She gets more independent every year but we are taking it slow for her due to the ADHD which really affects her decision making skills and putting them in place properly.

ETA-there are no nurses in our district. All we have are the school secretaries and "health attendant aides". The health attendant aides have no training beyond what they are given by the parent and you don't get one automatically, you have to request one. I'm pretty sure Lia would not have been assigned one if she didn't have an IEP for the ADHD in addition to D AND I hadn't fought for it. I know the other girl in her school who had D (she's not at the middle school) did not have one.

20. alismom

alismom Approved members

Allison does her own testing whether she is in school or at home. She does test in class. The only exception is during the night, I will attempt to check her without waking her.