- advertisement -

Does your child have to "prove" their glucose numbers?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sickofit, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sickofit

sickofit Approved members

Does your child have to prove to the school personnel what their numbers are when they check their sugar level at school? This embarrasses my daughter and I personally think its an invasion of her privacy.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

How old is your child? How much self-management does she do?

Nurses probably have to keep logs of all the work they do, and records of the kids medical situations, so that's probably why she needs the number.

3. sickofit

My daughter is 13 and has been able to take care of her diabetes at school for 2 years now. She has never had to prove what her numbers are before now. Do you know if it is a privacy issue and if she has to show them her numbers.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When she was younger and testing in the nurses office, the nurse did log her #s. But now, at 12 and doing all her own management at school, I would be stunned if the school required her to share her bgs with anyone unless her bg was so out of range as to be cause for concern, or disrupting her ability to take a test, or process a lesson.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

This should be something you can address through a 504 or Medical Management Plan.

Chuck

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Who at school is asking to see these bg readings?

7. sickofit

This is not the case with my daughter. The school is treating another child differently than they treat the other diabetics in school. So to cover their own butts they are now making all the diabetic children prove their readings. I need to know if this is a privacy issue, and If I can make them stop making her prove her readings.

8. sickofit

The secretary asked to see what her reading was on Friday! She has a 504 in place and we are going in today to discuss why some of the things are not being covered and to rip some heads off if it continues.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You might not be able to prevent it from being reported to the nurse. Privacy protects others that you have authorized from seeing the number but since the nurse has medical responsibility over your child while she is in school, even if she is self-managing, you probably won't be able to prevent it from being shared with the nurse.

I would not go in guns blazing. I would go in with a positive attitude and just discuss how your daughter is feeling and if there is a way to accomodate their need diffently (maybe you priint out a log each night for your daughter to take in the next day, etc). Just some ideas.

10. sickofit

Thanks for the ideas. I have been fighting with the school system since she was diagnosed in 07. I went in with the benefit of the doubt attitude for the first 2 1/2 years. Now I am just tired and too stressed to keep up the nice mom attitude. I fight with this school everyday. Today they are going to learn that I am not going to stand for it any longer and that my daughter is to be treated as any other student would. She is not the only one that they are not following the 504 with.

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

We have received absolutely nothing but grief from our school. They have refused to place my dd on a 504 plan for the past 3 1/2 years and never help her with her diabetes care.

The middle school nurse once asked us to report all her numbers to her (I think they wanted to gather info to say say that we were not caring for her correctly or whatever. We had a D friend in a neighboring town that was reported to CPS by the school because they saw her son drinking a regular coke instead of a diet coke!)

I firmly informed the school nurse that all the information she needed was provided in her DMMP by the endo. Other than that my dd could call or email her the lunchtime number since she was at school. However, it should not matter what-so-ever to the school nurse what my dd's numbers were over the weekend or even over night since she was not in charge of making any decisions or changes regarding my dd's diabetic care. I don't know if there is anything legal, except maybe HIPPA, but IMO it IS an invasions of privacy.

Have you asked your endo about this? I know ours refuses to give any info to the schools except for the required DMMP.

12. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I can understand a nurse asking to see her numbers, especially if the nurse has anything to do with administering insulin or treating lows. The school secretary, however is a different story.

However, I live in CA and we don't have school nurses. When Cass went back to school after diagnosis, she was going into the office to test and the secretary would help her through her calculations and call me to verify. In this case, obviously the secretary needed to see it. However, if your daughter has been T1 for 2 and a half year and does her own care, I can't see why anyone would need her to "prove" her numbers. It is a violation of HIPAA, I'm sure and if it violates her 504 you definitely need to take action. However, try to remember that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. :rolleyes:

13. sickofit

I found out Monday, that my daughter is the first person to ever have a 504 in place in her school district! Her and another boy who came to her school this year are the only two who have one in place at this time. There are other diabetic students at this school and after speaking to their parents they knew nothing about a 504 plan.
    The school says that by proving her numbers that it will help in knowing if her bs was up or down during a test. But she is only required to prove her numbers if she checks it in the office. If she checks it in the classroom or anywhere else in the school they take her word, so why not when she is in the office?

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

What do you mean by "prove"? Just show them, or verify the number? Under what circumstances does she check in the office? If she checks there when she's feeling high or low, maybe they want to document that.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If she's checking before a test she should just write the number on the top of test.