- advertisement -

Does your child get sick more often now that they have D?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by heamwdevine, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

Jason is rarely sick. He was sicker before diagnosis. My husband and I catch everything and so does my daughter. Funny isn't it? When we are sick I'm so worried he'll get it but he doesn't.

2. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I don't know if I can say Logan gets sick more now or before diagnosis. He has on accasion pre-D gotten random fevers. Pedi never could find anything wrong. No ear infections, always ran strep tests which came back negative.

What I can say is the consequenses are completely different now and require a whole lot more attention on our part.

When he used to get a random fever it would be give tylenol to keep him comfortable if needed and try and get him to rest.

Now it's: check Ketones, no tylenol it will mess with the CGMS, is he throwing up, is he getting dehydrated, do we need to call the endo, get some carbs and insulin into him, he looks sleepy is he going into DKA again, etc, etc, etc.

We have had 3 fevers in the 5 months since diagnosis. 1 with vomiting, the other 2 without. The 1 with vomiting also had extremely high keytones (3.0+) so that might have been a factor. All 3 fevers have come with Keytones but no real explantion as to why he has a fever. I am sick of taking him to the Pedi for absolutely no reason and no help, so this time I don't plan to unless something changes today.

3. mph

mph Approved members

Does he have something underlying like allergies that keep his immune system "busy" and somewhat drained?

My dh has allergies/asthma and he is always "on the edge" of getting sick. We have pets which the doc and vet say are good for my kids to build immunity to. Our pets do not seem to bother my dh, but if a cold comes along, he is first to get it and if he is around any other pets, it's an asthma attack in the making.:(

4. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

That's my theory too! I swear my kids have super immune systems--so super in fact that Luke's actaully attacked itself ;)!

5. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

This is my theory too. I dont see how D would weaken an immune system

6. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

I had actually pulled Jackson out of school for around 6 weeks and guess what? No illness. Put him back in school, and boom a cold, stomach bug, cold in 3 weeks! The Dr.'s anwer was to keep him in school and let his immunity build up so that's what we are doing. I just hate seeing him sick ALL THE TIME! My other son never gets it either just Jackson. :(

7. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

I wonder if her body is just so run down because of the months of high sugars before diagnosis and she's just recovering now and her body has to work through this.

I should've sent her to school today because although she says her ears hurts, she still was happy all day and running around and enjoying herself, but we'll still get it checked out this afternoon just to see what it looks like.

I remember one mom saying her kids only stay home if they can't get out of bed. I'm still super sensitive and worried about her cause this is all so new to us.

8. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

My dd has only been sick once in the 7 years since she was diagnosed. Before D she had the typical ear infection, strep, etc.

9. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Elizabeth has always been the least likely one to get sick here and the first one to get better. So far that hasn't changed since dx.

10. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Emily was ALWAYS sick prior to diagnosis, or so it seemed. Multiple strep infections, flu, GI illness---basically anything that was going around, she caught.

She has only been sick 2 or 3 times since diagnosis almost 3 years ago. And all of those 2-3 times were colds.

11. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Well, we just got back from the doctor and she does have a bad ear infection so I'm glad we went. Hopefully, this was just a bad winter for us and we'll be mostly healthy from here on out.

12. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Justin was dx'd going on 2 years now and so far he has yet to come down with any serious infection or illness. Maybe an upset stomach every now and then but nothing serious enough to have any effect on his BG control.

13. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip has always been my healthy kid. He hardly gets sick since dxd either.

Just before christmas I got a wierd tummy bug. Four days later dd got it. I got antibacterial soap and cleaner and cleaned the toilet constantly and got Phillip to wash his hands with the soap all the time. We managed to stop him getting it. If he had got it it would have been the first stomach bug since dxd four years ago.

14. alismom

alismom Approved members

Actually less often. Allison goes to the regular ped once a year for a physical and they always comment on how she is never there. Hope this doesn't jinx it.