- advertisement -

does turning off sensor for a while mean I lose cgm time?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Tommo, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

Hi - I will have to restart new sensor at lunch time tomorrow - but Tom will be at school so it will be too difficult - Here's my question: if I turn the sensor off now for a couple of hours will it need restarting a couple of hours later tomorrow ...or am I just losing those hours ?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand your question. If the restart comes at a bad time for us, I just restart it early. Just tell it it's a new sensor, in 5 minutes it will ask for a cal, and you're off and running again.

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

hawkeye girl is correct - just restart when convenient for you. It took me a while before I realized that I was not tied to the "next calibration time" - once I realized that I could restart or calibrate when it was convenient or when we had good numbers, cgms was a lot easier to manage.

4. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

I think your question was, 'Will I get "credit" for the downtime' ??

And the answer is no. In fact, Minimed (unlike my Dex) will even try to acquire all of the readings which you "missed" during the stoppage. (Minilink has a small memory to provide this capability, Dexcom doesn't. If the Receiver doesn't ask for data AND get an answer, that meazsurement is lost for ever.)

So, once you start the Sensor, the lifetime "countdown" clock continues to run -- even while the Receiver/Monitor is officially "off". As everyone else advised, the best way to re-schedule a Restart which is scheduled for an inconvenient time is to stop the Sensor early (maybe evening of the night before), and execute the next "New Sensor Start" at that time.