- advertisement -

Does this sound like basals are correct?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Oct 9, 2013.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

We attempted a basal check today. DS woke up with a BG of 85 and he ate only turkey and cheese for breakfast. (I had to bribe him with a dinner of bagels, rice milk and candy though--yum! :eek: ) School nurse watched his Dexcom and it never got higher than 102. That's a pretty good basal rate, right? I'm thinking that is a pretty decent and accurate rate for that small period of time.

However, 102 is too low for DS to go out onto the playground. He plays hard and will drop. So essentially the basal check ended at 10:30 when he was tested prior to recess. The health aide gave him 15 free carbs (our standard) and he went on his way.

Is there any way to test basals on a child at school? It just seems like it is too hard when dealing with things like recess and PE? Maybe I'll have to wait for the weekend to test his basal from approx. 10:30 to 2:30??

Thanks!

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

He was at school right?

I would leave it and give him a snack. Unless he doesn't want one...That way if he's at home and doing nothing he would be fine.

Another idea, when Seth was on the pod and didn't want a snack, I had different rates I could switch to that were labeled:
    Light exercise
    moderate exercise
    Heavy exercise

I even had one for "Night after swimming"

:D

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

I would do basal tests on weekends. But sounds like his basal is good. :)