- advertisement -

Does the Omnipod have to be near the PDM to deactivate?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bandmkolb, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

Harrison was swimming tonight and when he jumped out of the pool the pod caught on the side wall and ripped off. This was his first pod put on yesterday at CDE office. I wasn't thinking and chunked the old pod in the trash then proceeded to go home (2 blocks away) to put on a new one. I drove in the driveway and thought "oh no, what if the old pod has to be near the PDM to deactivate it so I can put on a new one?!" So we went back to the city pool and went dumpster diving. We found it and got it home and deactivated the old and started the new one. Anyway did we do all that for nothing or was it nessecary?

2. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I am not much more experienced with the pod than you, but I would think yes, it would need to be near the pod to deactivate.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

No. You can start a new pod without the old one.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure ... that would be a fatal design flaw.

4. bandmkolb

Thanks! So I am officially a dumpster diver and it wasn't even nessecary. :D

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL! Hey, at least you can scratch that off your bucket list, right?! ;) Where does your son wear the pod? My son wears it on his thighs and we wrap it with vetrap. We have found that helps keep it in place and it rarely pulls away/falls off. And he swims every day.

Good luck podding! My son really loves it! :)

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

If you ever have a question about Omnipod and need a quick answer you can call their 24/7 customer service number which I thnk is listed on the PDM. They are great at helping.

7. bandmkolb

He chose the thigh for the first one. When we changed it this evening we used the other thigh. I will be looking in to something to help hold it in place for sure, the vet wrap sounds like a good idea. The CDE who trained us yesterday said she did not think the stomach or arms would work for him because he is so thin. So I guess he is stuck with thighs and buttocks.

8. bandmkolb

Thanks sooz! I never even thought of that.

9. manda81

manda81 Approved members

You have to be close to deactivate, but you don't have to deactivate to sync/start up a new one.

People may have thought something weird was up with that trashcan when it started death-beeping in a couple days. :p

10. bandmkolb

Lol! Can you imagine if someone would have found it they would probably think it was some type of bomb! Haha!

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yes, these days the bomb squad may very well have been called.

12. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Early on, I had a shipment (before they started packing the boxes with bubble wrap!) that had 4 pods that arrived alarming. You should have seen the FedEx guy carrying that to my door. lol

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

No, but if you don't deactivate it will beep constantly for a week or so. You can deactivate a pod without the PDM by prying it open with a regular kitchen kife (use a dull blade - the top pops right off), then remove one of the batteries and put the top back on before discarding it.

14. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Not sure if someone mentioned how to activate a new pod when you haven't deactivated the old one but here goes: You proceed with the deactivate pod process on the PDM and it will say something like "can't communicate, retry" and I think after a second time it gives you the option to discard the pod and you select it and then you can activate a new pod.

15. bandmkolb

Thank you!

16. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

As everyone mentioned, you don't need the old to start a new. BUT the old one will start alarming after a while.

Last week we went swimming while visiting my parents and I acted like a kid with my 14-year-old niece and dove off the diving board 3-4 times. Got home and discovered my pod was completely missing! We went back the next day to go swimming again and were looking for it in the pool. A few kids by the deep end were talking to the life guard about hearing something in the pool. Yep it was the pod! LOL Once we found where it was, one of the kids retrieved it for me. Then I had to bury it in a towel for the rest of our visit.

17. bandmkolb

Imagine those poor scared kids.. Lol!