- advertisement -

Does OmniPod still offer Cut the Cord?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jul 31, 2016.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter came home from camp enamored with the Omnipod. I can't find anything on the website about Cut the Cord. Do they still offer the $199 pdm?

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

It's called No Strings Attached. I picked up a card at a recent JDRF event. I know someone who did this in the last 6 months so I believe it is still active. It is a pretty nifty thing! (We started on t:slim too, got the Omnipod because he needs basal even when swimming. Used for a week on a vacation with a pool and he didn't want to go back when we got home!)

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Thanks! I called today and we're going to see if our insurance will cover the pods so we can move forward.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

See if you can sweet-talk your local OmniPod rep into a free extra PDM. Ours gave us one, which saved my daughter from having to go "old school" with syringes (when her two-year-old PDM bit the dust after she ran it dry one too many times) while the replacement PDM was being posted. I so hope they release the new-and-improved, not-so-brick-like version of "The Brick" (or it's Bluetooth-enabled smartphone iteration) soon! It's my only complaint with the OmniPod system...

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The PDM is so 80s. I want a smartphone app. My son has a "d-bag" with all the paraphernalia in it but when he's just around the neighborhood and at school he could carry just a phone and a roll of tabs...

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby is toying with going tubeless. What brand strips do they use?

Having two T1D's, I'd prefer to just stay with one pump/meter/strips for both kids, but oh well.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Freestyle.

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We don't use the Omnipod meter at all. Partly because we're happy with one touch and partly because sometimes it will negatively correct a meal-only bolus if it knows your BG.

9. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We actually LOVE the Freestyle strip. It is happy with just the tiniest bit of blood. We started out using the One Touch meter, I used to milk my daughter's finger all the time to get enough blood out, and we used the 4 setting on the pricker. Her poor fingers were getting callused from all the bg checks in the early months.

With Freestyle strip, I don't need to push and squeeze much to get enough blood out, and we now use the 2 setting on the pricker. Her fingers are no longer looking beat up from the checks.

We love the Freestyle, we would use this even without the Omnipod. (We love our pods too.)