- advertisement -

Does not need lunch insulin?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dvbo79, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

My son always goes way too low if given insulin with lunch.
    He is usually is usually 98 to 110 before lunch and usually eats 30 but less than 40 carbs for lunch.
    He naps after lunch for approx 2 hours.
    If he was given any insulin at all he will go low during his nap.
    If we don't give insulin he might spike to 190 but comes down by the time he awakes.
    He gets Levemir in the morning.

I'm looking for insight on how and why it happens like this. Thanks.

Adding we are using the dexcom now. ;)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Though it's been a long time since we used it, I'd guess that his levemir is peaking at lunch and is strong enough to pretty much cover his lunch. Maybe he's honeymooning as well..

Has it always been this way or is this new?

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

How much insulin is he getting at lunch?

Sarah may be right about the Levemir. One thing you could talk to his Endo about is splitting the dose so he gets less in the morning.

Good luck.

4. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'd agree with the lev emir theory.. Peaking or too much in the morning

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I used to theorize it was Lantus peaking that allowed me to eat lunch with no shot. Then I moved my Lantus shot to evenings- I still got away with eating lunch with no shot. Now I'm on a pump. I run a basal from 8 Am to 2:30 PM of only 1/4 the amount of basal I run at night (at 8 am, my basal rate drops from 0.8 u/hr to 0.2 u/hr), and I STILL eat lunch without bolusing.

If I'm running around working all morning, the insulin just works extra I guess, and I don't need more for a normal size lunch. If I decide to have a big lunch or if I'm unusually high at lunchtime, then I bolus. Also on weekends and days that I'm not working, I usually need a lunchtime bolus.

6. shannong

shannong Approved members

I wonder if the bolus from breakfast is still working at lunchtime. My son needs a larger bolus for breakfast to keep the spike down, but will usually need a mid-morning snack later to keep from going low. Also wondering if perhaps your son is more active around lunch time.

7. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hi. My son was diagnosed the month before yours. He is honeymooning, we find he can be insulin resistant after breakfast, but like your son this last week he has been going low after lunch, we are changing his carb ratios at lunch time, however on Saturday, he had 1 unit with lunch, we went to a party in the afternoon, he ate first for a change then i planned to correct with his dinner insulin, however eating this huge plate of treats he stayed in range, i'm now thinking he may not need the lunch insulin also. We give Levemir at 9pm. I think a combination of his honeymoon and insulin sensitivety means he needs less if any insulin at lunch. I will be monitoring it this week, and i'm considering trying no insulin one lunch time to see what effect that has.

8. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

My son drops about 3 to 4 hours after his basal shot. He gets it at 9:30PM and I always check around 12:30AM to see what happened.

How is the Dexcom working for you?

9. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

How is the rest of the day? Is he getting too much basal? Just a thought.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good thought. :)

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

When my dd was first DXed and we gave Lantus in the AM she would go low if she napped within 4-6 hours of the Lantus.

Lantus peaks with her, even now, we never fully figured out it out before moving to the pump.