- advertisement -

Does FB ever seem like a place to brag to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by chkpea, Jan 9, 2011.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

todays status updates....going to Jamaica....we went swimming, skating on canal, ball hockey, sledding, more skating.....we went snowboarding and skiing today, dd did so great....and it goes on and on. I know it is people just telling people what they did/doing but sometimes it just seems like its a place to brag. Just getting it off my chest

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't know - I've got less than 100 FB "friends". I only "friend" people I know pretty well. Lots of political stuff, the arts, some silly, "having the best coffee now" kinda stuff. But I think I only have a few braggarts in the lot.

Maybe I should count myself lucky.;)

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Guilty as charged Im afraid ;) It's usually just brags about my boys. How/what theyre doing in school. Other then that I post quotes that I like or about the birds or gardening (I know, awfully boring :rolleyes:) I see alot of the lovey, dovey ones "Jane Doe says : "I loooooove my husband soooooo much!!!" Well isnt that just special!!! or the headache/backache/toothache ones

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

despite it's misnomer as social media, facebook really is selfish media. That's what it's designed for. Not so you can interact with others, but so you can tell others what you're doing. "what am I doing right now"

You either accept it, or you surround yourself with people who are different (the ones who put up status that say - "what's everyone up to today?" .

And of course, there are the people who do nothing but brag and you have to wonder what they aren't saying. No one's life is THAT perfect all the time.

5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Seems more like a place for people to complain about their headaches to me. Every day I can count at least two "I've got a huge headache" complaints.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'd much rather see the bragging, updating, coffee reports etc than the vague booking.. OMG, I despise vaguebooking..

7. frizzyrazzy

haha. oh yes!!!!!!!

"you know who you are and you know what you did and you know how I feel but I'm not going to get into it here on Facebook!"

um, you just did.

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Give migraine a try, Nick.

But it's OK...you won't see a headache on my status.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Totally!
    My sister in law is the queen of vague booking!

My friend says it's a place for witty commentary about our boring lives, I tend to agree.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I had no idea you could snowboard and ski in Jamaica.

11. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I complained today ... trying to pay my husbands truck payment and they would not take it since he was not in the house .. Ugh ... but yes I would rather read anything then the vaguebooking ... "My life sucks right now" and then they want 100 "Oh what's wrong??"

I love getting the updates on the kids .. how well they are doing etc. I am guilty of that ...

Crystal

12. chelsedin

chelsedin Approved members

That is definitely the thing I despise about Fbook, the rest is just every day social interaction IMO.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My friend is famous for this. Packing to go to Aruba. Driving to the airport to go to Aruba. In Aruba. Having dinner in Aruba.
    I know with her, she is very insecure about her life growing up and the fact she didn't have much. It's as if she has to let the world know, I have it now, and this is what I'm doing now.

She brags about her kids, and not in the cute fun way most people do. It's '"oh son is so smart that it's ok we take him out of school for a week to go on vacation...in Aruba!"

Personally, I know her life isn't as perfect as she pretends.

14. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

I have a friend from highschool and, no word of a lie, every status update is accompanied by a picture of some alcoholic beverage at a bar. She lives far away so I'm not sure if this is just her fb style or a lifestyle, but I find it odd.

15. frizzyrazzy

hahah.

wait, you're not talking about me are you???

16. frizzyrazzy

!! I have one like that too, in Aruba. Add in "havign kitchen totally reno'd while we're in ARUBA" "what a treat to get back from Aruba to a brand new deck!" "new fireplace and outdoor spa to be installed while we're in Aruba!"

Like Aruba isn't enough. Like the constant home improvemetns aren't enough. No, she has to brag that she has enough money to do it all...while the rest of us are bragging on "trip to the cape this weekend. to the trailer. "

17. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

I am trying to replace my fb addiction (when I'm bored) with a CWD addiction :cool:- much more productive - I learn alot more. Also look up other diabetes websites.

More of a lurker on fb than a poster anyway!!!

18. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I love the hide feature of FB. I use it for lots of people :) You can still be their friend but you don't have to read every single status update!

19. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I actually have friends who post, "I love my life!" or "My life can't get any better!" Really? REALLY? What are you trying to hide? ;)

I have to say, I can't stand the "I love you so much" posts to spouses, significant others, etc. when it's a constant thing. You can't say that to each other in person? You just left the house a half an hour ago.

20. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

oh I agree with this....but yes I understand what are people really going to say? I know it is just updating but at times it sound like people are bragging but I know they aren't going to fill in the blanks ...like had a fight with husband....I don't understand what is going on with my kids...