- advertisement -

Does Dexcom actually want to make sales?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bgallini, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

We called our endo in early July to say Alex wants the Dexcom. They called last Monday to say they were giving the Dexcom rep our info. We've been waiting. I am not a patient woman. I'd like to get this up and running before he goes back to college in late Aug.

I'm ready to tell them nevermind, give us a Minimed.:(

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Yep. I felt that way when we first tried to order. I finally called the company and complained about the rep and got someone on the phone to put my order through. The phone person was awesome and my order came three days later. This was after after "being patient" for more than 6 weeks.

Now I've called to buy a new one. I told them I needed to rush it, because my insurance coverage was about to change. I was promised a return call from my rep the next day. Its been a week. :(

They are great for reordering sensors and sending out free replacement sensors. But their sales team is more like a sales prevention team.

3. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

We just started on the Dexcom in April. Our ordering process was so much smoother than the one we had for the OmniPod. However, it was held up for a few days by our insurance provider. I too felt that Dexcom was moving too slowly until I made a few phone calls to Dexcom and our insurance company and found that Dexcom was waiting for the insurance company to move things along. Once that happened, we had our Dexcom two days later.

I hope that things speed up for you. It can be so frustrating.

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We ordered online and payed OOP. It went pretty fast. It could be your insurance. I,d give them a call. They've been a good company to work with for us.

Chuck

5. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Barbara,
    My biggest tip is just call dexcom directly and order the unit. The rep isn't useful unless you are trying to get insurance coverage.
    Wendy

6. bgallini

Well, we do want insurance to cover it but I'll call the endo and dexcom tomorrow. Thanks!

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'd call Dexcom directly to get the ball rolling.

I wonder if you get the same rep I spoke to here in Maryland. If your child younger than what the Dex is approved for, he says he can't talk to you (maybe not an issue for you!). He also swore that my insurance wouldn't pay for a Dex - I just found him annoying.:rolleyes:

8. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Our local guy wasn't much good but we called the mothership phone number on the web page and they got the process to fly.

9. bgallini

I called and left a msg with the endo's office asking for the rep's name. Then after about an hour, I called the 800# for Dexcom and the lady was very helpful:D. She took the basic info and said she'd email forms to me. While we were talking, I got a beep but didn't answer that. It was the local rep! So I called him back. He had been on vacation last week (which I figured). He was very nice and will help the customer service person get what they need from the Dr. He wears the Dexcom himself so said we could call with any questions and such.

Only problem is he says this could take 3-4 weeks which puts us about a week from Alex going back to school. Hopefully it will go faster. I'm emailing all the forms back to her this afternoon.

10. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

It COULD take that long but unless your insurance is being a PITA with approval, it shouldn't take long at all once all papers are signed and submitted. ;)

11. bgallini

That's what I'm hoping. Worse comes to worse, we get it and then he starts it when he comes back home in December. I don't want him to have to try to learn it at school. He'll get too frustrated with it and/or just not use it.

12. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We started the Dexcom during the school year. It was fine, sort of like the game "Othello" --- a minute to learn a lifetime to master. It isn't like a pump start. It is pretty straightforward.

Chuck

13. dianas

dianas Approved members

That has to be the most perfect description of CGMS I've ever seen.

Barbie and Alex enjoy the Dex. My order didn't take that long to process but probably varies with each insurance.

14. bgallini

I'm sure it's not too hard but I guess I should have used the word college....he'll be across the country from me, not down the street at the elementary school. And he's not really the type to call for advice much.

15. Jordansmom

Have you had any luck getting your Dexcom ordered? 4 phone calls (and three weeks) where they tell me my regional sales rep has left for the day and she'll call me back first thing in the morning and we are no closer to our new unit. I have yet to speak to the phantom rep who is in charge of our order. I'm trying to get it before school starts because the receiver is really old and the vibrate is getting rattly and a little loud for classes.

Hoping you are having better luck.

16. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

You all got farther than I did...I called them yesterday to get the ball rolling on us one...

I was told by whomever answered the phone that they wont sell to anyone under 18 anymore:eek: I was so shocked !! I knew some of you had for your kids...but she told me no...that they are not FDA approved for kids...and wouldn't sell it to us. :eek::mad::mad:

My son is 12...

17. Jordansmom

WOW!!! :eek: I seriously hope someone screwed up. I wouldn't take that answer from only one phone rep as your final answer. There are a couple of people there who aren't very bright. But that does not sound like something a customer service rep could be confused about. I am so sorry. That is TERRIBLE news. I'd be really upset.

I also really hope that doesn't affect kids already on one getting sensors and replacement systems.:(

Animas and Dexcom need to think that kind of decision through. How will Animas market their integrated pump if kids can't use their cgms? That would affect the Omnipod integration too.

18. Jordansmom

If this really is true, does that mean JDRF just gave Johnson and Johnson $8 million raised by parents and children, who won't even be able to get an Artificial Pancreas because its integrated with a Dexcom sensor?

I really hope this is a big misunderstanding.:(

19. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I hope they were wrong....for those that are in the midst of getting this...but I wont be... I was very upset by the way the lady was on the phone..and how she wouldn't give me any info. after she asked my sons age...and I said 12...That is when she said, well we are not FDA aproved for anyone under 18...I asked...so you wont sell this to me...or even try my insurance for it...she said no..im sorry we are not FDA approved... I was so upset and mad after that phone call... I will go with MM Guardian when we get one...

20. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

For those of you with younger kids, I hope that the PP was given the wrong information. :(

Barbie, have you heard anything yet? Matt started a one week trial with the Dexcom today. He just started the sensor before he had to leave for his class, so I'm waiting for him to get home so we can look at the graph. :)