- advertisement -

Does D make illnesses last longer?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Mar 1, 2012.

1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

Hi. My DS got this GI bug. It started on Saturday night at 1am. He ran a fever and threw up for a couple of days, but then started with the stomach aches and diarrhea. It has been 5 days now. He is still having stomach aches and diarrhea every time he goes to the bathroom. Ketones are negative. When he was first diagnosed with D, there was a possibility he had Celiac. The GI doctor doesn't think he has it. We did have blood work repeated, but haven't gotten the results back yet. My mom gut is telling me something is wrong. Who do I call? My PCM, Endo, or GI doctor? He has missed school all week. I know viruses take a while, but usually symptoms lesson as time goes by, and his aren't. He is eating a little. He at breakfast and lunch today, but he didn't want dinner. We have been avoiding milk products because of the tummy aches. I'm at a loss. Does D make illnesses last longer?
    Thanks.

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

It's a YDMV thing, if I get a bug, it's usually a very mild 3 day cold.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

In our experience, no.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I think it definitely depends on the kid.

FWIW, I know around here a couple of different stomach bugs were going around. One was major vomitting for 12-24 hours and you're done, and the other was less vomitting but continuing gi distress for up to a week.

I would probably give your GP a call first and then maybe call the GI to check on those test results (and you can mention the current issue while you've got him/her on the phone).

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We had something similar going on here, and I kept thinking maybe my daughter wasn't kicking it because of the higher BGs with diabetes. Finally I took her in: strep throat. She'd complained of tummy pain and diarrhea, not sore throat, and her temp was never that high. Sometime to consider...

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Not usually but its possible. Good idea avoiding milk products. Are you giving him a probiotic? Culterelle comes in a capsule and can be poured out into juice. I would definitely get in touch with the pedi if its not cleared up in a day or two.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

My son with diabetes usually gets hit harder with illness that his six siblings. I don't know that it has anything to do with diabetes though. I have a sister who always got sicker than the rest of us (still does) and she doesn't have diabetes. I just think some people's bodies can't fight things off as well and take longer to recover.

As for your son's current illness, I would call his pediatrician in the morning. See what they have to say. I'd also ask about the results for the celiac screening.

8. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

If he's running high and it's a virus, it hangs on forever but, that's usually sinus not GI. If he's fairly well in range then he clears up like the rest of my kids.

9. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Before my daughter was dx her colds would last at min. A month..

10. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

He finally turned a corner yesterday. :) He is ok now. 4 straight days of diarrhea, I was really concerned something else was going on. Thanks everyone.

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm so glad he's on the mend!
    Keep in mind that he may not absorb carbs properly for a bit (some have seen this last up to 2 weeks), so you may want to under-bolus and then correct if needed.

12. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Glad to hear this. Now that you have tackled sick days, you are a true D expert :D