- advertisement -

Does CGMS catch lows?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by ctwetten, May 29, 2008.

1. ctwetten

ctwetten Approved members

I'm considering trying to get my insurance (Wausau/Fiserv) to cover the cgms. My biggest problem is that I HATE lows and try to avoid them and end up running high. I'm wondering if the cgms "catches" lows right away. It seem that if the fluid that it's measuring is 15 to 20 min behind the actual blood sugar, it wouldn't really help prevent lows, because by the time it gives a low reading you've been low for a while and/or are much lower than what it says. The literature I've read about it seems to give mixed answers about this issue. Does anyone have experience with the cgms and know about this? Thanks!

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I am just a parent, but for us it does catch lows, we just keep our low alarm at 100 or 120 if really active. To avoid unnecessary alarms at night we lower the alarm as he doesn't tend to drop fast at night.

3. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Ours catch lows all the time. We have it set on "projected low alarm" for 20 minutes before she hits her target low number (70) and it works well. Sometimes if she's falling fast her BG will actually be 60, but it's usually pretty close.

The CGMS is only behind for us when she's rising or dropping rapidly. Otherwise it's spot-on.

We have the projected low set at 80 just in case there is a lag. However, a quick look at it anytime will tell you how rapidly your BG is falling and you can make your own judgements.

4. Bob @ Joy of Diabetes

Bob @ Joy of Diabetes Approved members

yup

mine catches lows and highs I think the cgms is to glucose checking as the pump is to injections it is a huge benefit to me....Dexcom for about 1.5 years