advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does caramel color have gluten?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Nancy in VA, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Someone mentioned it to me today and that was the first I'd heard it, so I wanted to check.

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

http://glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php#caramel

Here's what GF Living has to say about Caramel Color...

The sticky wicket in all of this is..if it's made from barley...they don't have to tell you that. You can A) call and confirm with the manufacturer B) purchase an item from those companies that will disclose all forms of gluten. As you'll see down below in Tricia's comment, it's felt that this product is so highly processed that it's a non-issue.

More info...

http://www.childrenshospital.org/clinicalservices/Site2166/mainpageS2166P12sublevel50Flevel83.html

Tricia Thompson (aka the GF Dietitian) - caramel color

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

thanks for the quotes and links.. we often worry about caramel color and distilled vinegar..

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Any product with caramel coloring I just call the company. I think it's time we add detective to our resumes. :)

5. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I try the "rule" of, if it's a product made in America, it's probably okay -- but I check with the company.

I made the mistake of trying something with caramel coloring from Mexico -- well, it was something someone added to some potato salad and I didn't realize it was in there until I had a baaaaad reaction -- and, boy, was that an experience I don't want to repeat.

6. aklap

aklap Approved members

Sorry to hear about that Eileen. :(

Imported food must follow the same rules as food produced here in the states. If the caramel color was made from wheat, it must be declared. If it was made from barley, we'd not know it.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

It was on older bottle that had been in my step-mom's cabinet for a while, so it may have pre-dated some of the newer regulations. Or it was from barley.

Either way, I know to stay away from it now and to ask my step-mom if she put any of this stuff in the food she's made.

One thing that I'm curious about is the oyster sauce they sell at the local Asian market -- the only questionable item is "caramel coloring," but I haven't had a chance to try and contact the distributer to ask. (The certified-GF oyster sauce is waaaaay too expensive for me.)