- advertisement -

Does Anyone NOT tape MM CGM? DD can't stand the itching underneath the transmitter!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thebestnest5, Oct 6, 2010.

1. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

The itching under the transmitter is frustrating for DD---but she likes to have the sensor to not have to test much at school--especially during PE, recess, and dance. She also glances at it before tests, to see if she might be out of BG range.

I tried the pumpwear armband sensor cover--but it slips down DD's arm and the sensor is left flopping.

I did cut up one of my toddler's babylegs leg warmers and it worked well--as long as DD put the "cuff" of the cut up babyleg above the transmitter. The "cuff" helped it not to roll up or slide down off the sensor.

Does anyone not use tape? What do you use? Vetwrap gave DD a burn-like rash.:(

I was also thinking I could stop the rolling if I stuck something "grippy" to the transmitter to hold a cover/armband in place. Maybe that would stop the "rolling" and slipping?

Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use hypafix.. but to avoid the itchy under the transmitter we use J&J tough pads.. I cut them into quarters so they last longer.. it stops the itchy and no redness when we remove the sensor and transmitter.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Have you tried different kinds of tape under the transmitter? I have heard of people using a piece of fleece material under it then taping it down. I also heard of using a dried alcohol wipe under the transmitter too and then tape it down. My son also mentioned it itched under the transmitter but he only wore it two days last time.

4. thebestnest5

We used to do that--and now it bugs her. Maybe it's pubery and more sweat thing. If there's tape over it--it get very itchy. I can tell when she itches under the transmitter--the sensor does not last long.

5. Flutterby

Have you used hypafix tape at all? Maybe you could lay a piece of hypafix down, then the J&J tough pad ontop of that, then the sensor? I think NOT having the sensor taped down will cause it to catch on something and wiggle to much, resulting in bad numbers or it being pulled out.. ALTHOUGH you could try taping down the sensor, attaching the transmitter and then taping down the connection between the transmitter and the sensor with paper tape.. leave the END of the transmitter untaped so it can 'breath'.. it wouldn't get knocked off as easily.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We use the dried alcohol pads someone here told about. At first I thought, who has time to dry alcohol pads. silly me--you squeeze them in a paper towel and they dry in 10 seconds. it makes a big difference since seashell isn't pressing right into the skin.
    eta: you could also just tape down the seashell with a thin strip of tape. And I saw a vetwrap type thing at clairs.

7. thebestnest5

I have never tried hypafix--does it breathe better than other tapes?

I cut a Tegaderm HP in half and tape over the actual sensor part. But, I think it's the sweating under the transmitter that is causing the issue--because it's under a plastic tape. Even with gauze it gets itchy under the transmitter. I was thinking it's got to be the sweat and warmth that's bugging her skin?

8. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We had good luck with HyTape, which we bought from MM. A little strip across each end of the sensor holds it down, while not completely encasing it. Also, are you using IVPrep? DD's skin got very irritated with it so we stopped using it. We've had no problem having Tegaderm stick without it, and her skin is no longer irritated (even though she has it on for 7 days at a time).

9. thebestnest5

My DD can't use IV prep either, it burns, then causes an itchy, red, bumpy rash.

I am going to try the suggestions and then post back in a few weeks.:D

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our poor kids. :( Bodies are just not meant to have foreign objects stuck to them 24/7. Ugh.

I think you got some good tips. I don't know how you'd keep it on without some extra tape. I know (and you probably do too) that the sensor due out next year is going to have tape under the transmitter, so at least that's something to look forward to. :cwds:

11. Flutterby

Hypafix is not like the plastic tapes, its like site tapes and definitely breathes better.

12. thebestnest5

:eek:

That sounds good, thank you!:)

DD is getting really sick of taping, saying the gauze underneath doesn't help, but still wants the sensor...so she needs something breathable.

She does well with quicksets and Mios---so maybe Hypafix will help.

I was thinking that there could be a possibilty that she was exaggerating the itchiness, because she was sick of CGM. Then, she asked for me to put in a sensor--but said "no tape on the trasmitter". She also hates when the gauze under the transmitter gets wet from a shower--even with Tegaderm HP totally covering it.

I can't wait to get my hands on the new one--I didn't know about the tape underneath. I remember reading a post on here about the new one...but I must of not noticed that. My eyes must have glossed over with the smaller needle and 90 degree set.;)

13. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

My daughter had the same problem you are describing and the hypafix has made a huge difference. I would highly recommend trying hypafix.

With any other type of tape the sensor tape would kind of slide off when we were removing the sensor, because it was so sweaty and gross under the tape. I'm certain that the trapped moisture from her skin under the plastic tape was causing a lot of our irritation problems. I really wish we would have tried hypafix much sooner.

We can cover the entire sensor with hypafix with very little itching.

14. thebestnest5

Is there a cheaper place to buy Hypafix? Insurance won't cover tapes.:(

The Hytape sounds good, too.

15. simom

simom Approved members

we cover the back of the transmitter itself with cloth tape (so the plastic is not touching his skin. We tape sensor and transmitter down with Nexcare cloth tape. We have had irritation issues with many other types of tape - but this tape is a good combination of stickiness (doesn't come off) and breathability. Best of all - not expensive! I have gotten ours at various drug store/pharmacies. If the don't have it on hand, many will order for no extra charge.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I ordered Hypafix through my Publix pharmacy. It was $15.99