- advertisement -

Does anyone know why this happens?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Mar 11, 2014.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I've come across the issue of insulin requirements increasing with sickness and then never going back to what they were pre illness. I previously wrote that my daughter was on less than 3 units of basal a day, then she got a very minor cold a couple months ago and she's currently getting 5.6 units in basal now, when she's in school- and about a unit less when she's at home. To me, that's a crazy increase. Does anyone know why this happens? I don't think it's a growth spurt either, she's still the same height from last endo appt.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I think its just a ntaural progression. They get older, they get bigger, they eat more, they need more insulin. It doesn't seem to happen in adulthood so its just natural growth..

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

DS is home sick with a virus (again). After the last one his numbers jumped up a little. I get the feeling it is his immune system coming back to finish the job :(

So annoying......its like watching a slow motion car wreck and not being able to do anything about it.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Increasing insulin needs was hard for me to accept when my child was growing up as well.

Expect the need for insulin to increase as she grows. You will be less frustrated knowing the natural progression of treating diabetes.

Sometimes a sickness precipitates it, other times not.

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I don't care that she needs more, it know in 15 years I won't even remember her on 5 units of basal. It just baffles me that it increased that much.

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've had a few big jumps during an illness that ended up just staying. I chalk it up to having diabetes :) So many variables it just is what it is.