- advertisement -

Does anyone have experience with a HSA through Anthem (Indiana) or United Health

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abbysmom, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

We are trying to choose between these two companies in Indiana to buy a Heath Savings Account plan through. This will be our only insurance on our daughter who pumps with Animas. We would buy all supplies out of pocket but at contracted rates. Of course they won't tell us what those prices are so its really hard to compare. Would anyone here who has these plans be willing to share what they pay for Novolog or One Touch Test Strips.

Animas did tell me they do not have a contract with Anthem in Indiana so I'm leaning toward United Health but I heard United favors Humolog.

Thanks

2. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

I don't have any personal experience, but I would go on their websites and search for their drug formulary or Preferred Drug List (PDL). Most insurance companies have that available even if you're not a member. If you can't find it, I would call or email their customer service and request a copy.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  3. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

here's the link for Anthem's PDL :

https://www.anthem.com/health-insurance/nsecurepdf/pharmacy_ABCBS_Anthem_Natl_DL_alpha

And the PDL for United Healthcare:

https://host1.medcohealth.com/art/open_enrollment/UHG_PrescriptionList.pdf

Looks like they both prefer humalog.

Also wanted to add that the actual dollar amount you might pay depends more on your individual plan than some umbrella tier system. The copay/co-insurance information for pharmacy benefits should be outlined when you compare the 2 plans and should give you a $ amount or % for each tier.

4. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Thank You

Thank You so much this is a big help. I didn't even know about preferred drug lists. I understand about copays but with a Health Savings Account we pay 100% for all prescriptions and DME but at the insurance company's negotiated price. That's why the price is important. We are looking at 800 a month plus all diabetes costs. Crazy.