- advertisement -

Does anyone have a D.A.D.?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabetesMama, Oct 26, 2015.

1. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Because 20 minutes in an adoption room will tell all about a dog's potential compatibility. And, if you live in a rural area, it can be difficult to meet prior to delivery. The families will meet an animal based on an observed, careful decision from the foster and if the mismatch is apparent from the get go, will simply not leave the animal. But most mismatches can take over a week to see because the animal has behaviors surface only as it settles. Some puppies are very subdued and passive at first and then can change 180 in a new environment (especially as they are removed from the more aggressive and dominant litter mates).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Your son is 12?

3. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

I am NOT making that up! We were in contact with the foster mom for over a week asking questions and buying everything that we needed. She drove the hour and 15 minutes to come to us and she even brought her son with her! Why would I lie about that? She told us that the trial period could be anywhere from 3-10 days and the reason they drove out to our house was to make sure he was going to a good place. She checked out our house and our neighborhood and I can't fault her for doing so. We were more than happy to have them come out and we had a good hour talk with her about what to expect. She is a sweet lady and she works with a great organization! They require a vet referral and a home inspection and a trial period. After the adoption goes through, they then require a 6 week training period, (an hour once a week) with a professional trainer. They are very cautious about who they adopt the dogs out to and it is a GREAT group. She was not upset at all and was actually glad that we were honest with her that it wasn't going to work out for us. I am done defending what we decided to do. We loved Riley but he was just not the right fit for us. She will keep him until someone else is approved for adoption. He was never in any harm nor was he ever going to be turned into a shelter or the like. We made sure to go with an adoption agency just in case it didn't work. We will continue to use this organization but we will also ask the other trainer involved for a match up instead of just picking one that was available. They were more than happy to help us in the future because they could see that we are a very responsible, loving family that wants this to work. If we were not a good family, she would not have left that door open to us. I am sorry that I even started this post because it has opened the door to all kinds of nasty feelings and posts and that was not the intention for me sharing my story.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I honestly don't know what you were expecting. Australian Shepherds and Labs are extremely high energy puppies. Australian Shepherds in particular need a lot of room to run as they were/are herding dogs. It's quite possible it was frustrated. I have had a lot of dogs over the years and I have never had one puppy that didn't "calm down" before the 2-3 YEAR mark. 4-5 months is when they're just getting started. I've also never known a puppy that wasn't all over someone that was down on the floor with them. In our house, the floor is considered a puppy's space. If you get down to that level, they're going to expect you to play. One of the ways puppies play is by biting, until they've been trained otherwise.

Like I've said before, puppies take work and dedication. LOTS of both.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'd let this one go folks. Go for a walk, read a book, spend time with your child(ren).

I think that more than enough has been said here.. :cwds:

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

woof woof woof
    (probably the most correct thing I have ever said on these boards in the last 24 months)

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Is that a high or a low or a squirrel?

8. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I am sorry to hear that the puppy did not work out, and that your son had such anxiety with it. It sounds like a puppy being a puppy and just being playful! I am sure often times that people start out with good intentions when taking on an animal, and do not realize the responsibility or have unrealistic expectations. Maybe a dog is not right for your family and it is probably a good idea to stick with the Dexcom. My rottweiler passed away this summer and I really miss her. Believe it or not, she was insulin dependent the last three years of her life! My wife faithfully gave her shots every day to keep her alive! We have always had multiple dogs that we have rescued from the shelter. We tried to adopt another dog this summer after the rottweiler passed and it did not work out for various reasons. My oldest son, our ten year old with type 1, had a traumatic bike injury this summer where he cut open his groin when he fell off his bike while we were out riding as a family. The night of the injury I road in with him on the ambulance and he had trauma surgery that night. He was had two surgeries and was in the hospital twice due to the injury. Some how through all this we managed to improve the A1C and my son had a good A1C. Thank goodness my son has fully recovered! It was a traumatic summer for our family! Prior to this we had entertained the idea of getting an alert dog, but were discouraged by the $10,000 price tag. It is hard to justify that, when the out-of-pocket expense for the insulin pump and CGM sensor were a lot less than that. At this point we are using the CGM sensor and my son has the Medtronic 530G with the Enlite CGM sensor which stops delivery if it senses a sensor glucose at 60 and under. The diabetic alert dog would be an adjustment in our way of thinking because we are use to pets, not a service or working animal. I imagine just like a CGM sensor that keeps going off, the dog would keep alerting on either lows or highs. I really like the fact that my son has an insulin pump and continuous glucose sensor, but at first I had unrealistic expectations of both. Only through hard work with both have we achieved success.

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

If you're having problems hearing Dexcom alarms, maybe work on that? Just because you have a vibe doesn't mean you can't use a separate Dexcom. I got a Vibe and almost immediately stopped using the CGMS function on it and went to a standalone Dex- for share features, and because alarms are way easier to hear on the night stand. I initially tried to run the Vibe and the Dexcom, but that was too cumbersome with dual calibrations and dual alarms, and checking my phone was universally easier than checking my pump.