- advertisement -

does anyone have a "change every 2 days" prescription for the Pod?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We are still loving the Pod, but this sucker falls off at every single soccer practice...or right after soccer practice. I took two pieces of Tegaderm today, cut them into strips, and put one strip on each side of the white adhesive part of the Pod before she went tonight, so I'm hoping that plus the Skin Tac underneath it will keep it on. I've been thinking about it lately, though, because she is going to run out of pods before the three month shipment if she keeps having to change them after soccer practice - it's three times a week.

Does anyone have a prescription written for a pod change every two days instead of three? Has there been any issue with insurance covering more pods? I would certainly feel better about the whole situation if I had a few more around. :cwds:

2. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Ours is change every two day, we get 3+ out of most of them. We keep the script at two days for a buffer. Insurance never an issue.

3. AlexsDad

AlexsDad Approved members

Same here, prescription for two days, to allow for occulsions, ripped off pods, etc. No problem with insurance.

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Yup. Every two days, but frankly he is going through so much insulin right now we really need to change it that often.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Our rx is for every 2 days as well, but we've been able to get the whole 3 days out of them. Where does your daughter wear her pod? We have found that the only way to keep them secure is to use vetrap around the pod. My son wears his on his legs for the most part, but also sometimes on the arms. Belly never worked because he sweats so much playing sports and they'd pop off like crazy.

There is no way that he could get by with his regular activity (basketball, swimming, etc.) without using the vetrap. It's become our best friend! :cwds:

6. timsma

timsma Approved members

Our rx is also written for every 2 days as Tim goes thru enough insulin requiring the 2 day changes. We use flexifix tape and it's awesome! We put it on all the way around the pod over the pod tape and one strip over the entire pod across it, and two strips over the pod lengthwise (overlapped) as well. No problems since doing that. He did lacrosse and had a couple fall off as well. Since doing the flexifix strips, haven't lost even one.

7. dqmomof3

I need to order some flexifix!!! Been meaning to do that! The Tegaderm around the edges did do the trick tonight for soccer...she still has the pod, and it's still working!

8. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Our RX is also for every 2 days. No problems.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm guessing you have tried plain alcohol wipes (2 wipes and fully dried) - making sure there's no lotion or moisturizing soaps on the skin before attaching? Our problem is we can hardly get them off - even after swimming 3 or 4 hours. He does have dry skin and takes really hot showers and uses Dial bar soap (both possibly worsening the dry skin). Tegaderm usually comes off a lot sooner than the pod adhesive (we use it on the Dexcom).

10. dqmomof3

We have tried plain alcohol wipes...that's a guaranteed pod fall-off recipe for us. It was the same with regular pump sites, too, though - she lost a site anytime she got sweaty. It didn't concern me so much then because I have a zillion pump sites, but I don't have a zillion extra pods laying around.

11. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Our script is for every 2 days and we've never had a problem with insurance.

We change every 3 days so having the extras is nice.

With swimming, we just started using Skintac and it's worked great. I also ordered a couple of the bands 4 life.

We really like them. Matthew's pod usually doesn't bother him, but if it feels "jiggly" he'll wear it and it helps a lot. It's great to use when swimming.

Hope this helps.....

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

Not to mention the loss of insulin.... Even if you are able to retrieve some of it, there is still a loss. :(

Alcohol wipes didn't work for us either. I forgot to add to my original reply that we also use a Skin-Tac wipe when applying the pod and it sticks fine EXCEPT when he's playing sports, which is why we wrap him.

I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you! :cwds: