- advertisement -

does anyone ever hear "they are very diabetic"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Oct 31, 2009.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

My mom said this to me today in reference to a student at my sister's school that she teaches at. I said there is no "very diabetic". I said they have type one just the same as James. She refuses to believe that James' has type one diabetes and feels that we could actually reverse it, although she only says that to my older sister. I have heard the "very diabetic" a few times lately.

The other one that a friend said last night was about a girl that she hung around in University was diagnosed when she was 19. She said "she would think nothing of having an ice cream sundae and giving herself another shot for it.". I replied "that is good management. They can have what everyone else is having as long as they have insulin to cover it."

Just a few of my pet peeves that I feel like airing.

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I've heard "severely diabetic, like this kid has to take shots and everything" I severely :rolleyes:

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Is that like a little bit pregnant?

4. Mom of 3 BOYS

Mom of 3 BOYS Approved members

i've had people ask me if my son has the "bad kind of diabetes"... or that "his diabetes is not that bad because he doesn't need a pump"....:rolleyes:

there is a lot of misconceptions about diabetes... many people think type1 and type2 are the same things and others just have no clue.... i try to educate people if they seem truly interested, if not i just walk away... :cwds:

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

LOL I was thinking the same thing! :D

6. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

I've been asked "is she very diabetic?" by someone at work.

It's funny that some people, not matter how many times you explain it, just don't get the fact that it's a binary thing, you either are, or are not.

I like the pregnancy example, I'll use it next time.

7. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

good grief! And it is your mother????? I am hoping your sister feels comfortable setting her straight when she feels the need to make those comments...if she feels there is a way to reverse it, she needs to stop listening to Halle Berry's drivel. SO frustrating!!!! I know, my sister also downplays everything that is traumatic in other people's lives....she even had the nerve to make a comment about how Kai's recent diagnosis of meningitis mustn't be very serious because he is improving so quickly. I think she has good intentions but she needs to think....put herself in the situation and then think how she would respond if someone said that about her own child/children......hugs!!!!

8. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Most people think insulin is a medicine, not a natural hormone. Thus, if you do intentionally do something that requires you to need more insulin, the view is that you are making yourself "more sick" because you need "more medicine". People will think you are "abusing" the medicine, because they have no clue how the endocrine system really works. If you use a pump, it's because you need so much "medicine" because the shots are not enough, then you must really be sick and really abusing yourself.

"Who would want more than one shot a day?" people think, thinking the shot is the hardest part about diabetes. "They must really be crazy if they want to have more than one shot per day!" They don't understand all the issues that they can't see, which make that extra shot a good, even great, tradeoff.

Absolutely wrong, of course, but this is the thought process.

9. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I had a long-time friend pat me on the knee last weekend, telling me about a child at her church who had recently been diagnosed with diabetes. As she patted my knee, she said "This little girl is severly diabetic, she has the really bad kind of diabetes". I said, "what do you mean?" She says " oh it's much worse than what your girls have!" I said "Morgan and Zoe have the same bad kind Anna does!" She proceeded to argue with me that this couldn't possibly be true because the child was "always in crisis". I know this family, not well, but know she is newly diagnosed and young, and going through the typical bumpy road we all go through! I was so peeved that someone I've known and worked with for 5 years really has no clue!

10. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

It's frustrating when people say that - especially to those of us that live it. Katie Jane tries to explain the difference between Type 1 & 2 on her website and the title of it is "This ain't your Grandpa's diabetes!"
    People just don't see the difference & think that if you take insulin then you are the one that put yourself in that position by not preventing your diabetes from getting worse through lifestyle changes.

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I talk about Jacob and his D at work sometimes and occasionally get the question "Is Jacob's diabetes harder to manage than most?" That's a tough question and it is very similar to "Is he VERY diabetic?" Since I consider the former a fair question, I guess the latter is a fair question too, even though I might not like the phrasing.

As an answer to either question I would say; I know everyone has challenges and YDMV, but with Jacob's low ICR's (meaning lots of insulin for food), low ISF and very high TDD, I think that his diabetes might be harder to manage than average for a kid of his age. I can't be certain because I am not managing anyone elses kids' D so I don't know all that they deal with. Sometimes I wonder if he is both type 1 and type 2. That would be VERY diabetic, wouldn't it?

12. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

At my work, when I have needed to leave to go to the school because of dosing issues, or higher numbers, my boss said to me something like "I am sorry her diabetes is getting worse".

I have not taken the time to educate him, to tell him that her diabetes is NOT getting worse, it's that we (the adult caregivers) are not properly imitating a pancreas. :rolleyes:

13. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I have run into a lot of T2's who unfortunately think exactly like that too.. so you can have a very similar disease and STILL be very clueless! It's really disheartening, actually, to realize just how little so many people understand about their own bodies. On the flip side there are also a number of T2's who do understand and almost look down on ME for having to ability to be flexible in my food choices - as if it's not fair or something?

I have gotten more comments wearing a CGM since I put my sensors in a spot that is fairly visible (arm).. I get a lot of of "how long to you HAVE to keep wearing that? as if it's not an active choice I am making... that is very frustrating as well.

14. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Wow, there is a lot of need for education. THAT comment would be like asking a person with a pacemaker or hearing aid "How long do you have to wear that?" Sheesh :eek:

15. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

I have heard these same things. Like, "My friend's granddaugher has diabetes, too, but she has the really bad kind," or "Does she have the good kind of diabetes or the bad kind?" Hmmmm . . . how do you answer that? Most people still think she's going to outgrow it! And still constantly get things like, "what are you doing for halloween since your daugher can't have candy?" sigh . . . I just keeps smiling and explaining . . . I think maybe I should make a pamphlet and carry it around in my pocket!

16. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

They must be thinking of Type 2. It can progress from mild to severe. One of these days someone ought to come up with a new name for type 1 diabetes. Maybe... Juvenile Diabetes? or something like that to distinuish it, you know, from the "Type 2" kind ;)

17. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I've heard the "bad diabetes" questions before and just tried to explain.

I know our new school participates in, or holds, a D walk in the spring, and I have volunteered to help. I hope that I can put together some sort of paper to send home with the students to help explain BOTH types of D, and educate a few more people.

18. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Oh, I've been asked just "how diabetic" Griffen is...wth?

19. Boo

Boo Approved members

Ironically, my diabetic son had a great costume this year, and almost every house he went to gave him extra candy since they loved the creativity! :p

20. lynn

lynn Approved members

My mom was talking about a friend of hers who she suspects has type2 but she is avoiding the doctor. My mom said that her friend should really get checked out because her dad died of diabetes and her mom even had "the REAL kind" of diabetes! When I asked her what she meant by that she told me that the woman had to take insulin for YEARS!! Just when I think she is beginning to understand...

Another thing. My husband has been doing some temp work with a guy who is a part time fire fighter. My husband asked him the other day if he would like to know about a kid with diabetes in his area. We have been talking about whether or not we should introduce Nathan to the volunteer force in our little town. He asked if Nathan has the bad kind or not. Brian told him that he has a pump so he figured it was probably the bad kind. The guy said that if it was that bad that he needed a pump then he would definitely want to know!! Funny.