- advertisement -

Does anyone else's CWD also have high blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

I'm just sick. We just found out that DS has high blood pressure. He's had a scan of his renal function, a scan of his heart and a ton of blood drawn. The renal scan turned out fine as did the blood work. They did find a tiny hole in the septum of his heart. Nothing that is life threatening or something they repair, but if he ever got a blood clot it would allow the clot to bypass his lungs and go straight to his brain causing a stroke. We are waiting to get approval to see the Nephrologist. In the mean time our pediatrician is having us check his BP one a day and lower his sodium intake to 2000mg a day.
    I was just at the grocery store and was about in tears. He is such a picky eater, he literally lives on mac & cheese or some other kind of cheesy pasta. There is a lot of sodium in 1 cup of m&c... between 450 - 800+ even the organic stuff is high. I don't know how or what to feed him.
    I'm so pissed and so sad at the same time.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He could be on medication to lower his blood pressure. You ought to ask about it as not everyone can lower their blood pressure with food.

3. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

My DD does not have high blood pressure... but if she did, I would still feed her what she will eat:eek: (picky eater also). Better to have them eat than to not eat..IMO

4. Boo

Boo Approved members

Hi...(haven't been on these boards for almost 3 years, but just so happened to check in today)
    My son (16) has always had slightly high blood pressure readings every time we go in for an endo appt, pedi checkup, whatever. The nurses would always take it several times, and then end up doing it by hand when they would finally get a lower one that they would deem acceptable and write down in his chart. When he was in the ER for some stitches in the spring, the nurse there strongly suggested we follow up on it. Over the summer we saw a nephrologist and my son wore a 24 hour monitor.

In his case, he was labeled as "white coat hypertensive", meaning that his 24 hour readings were all within a normal range, but that he just gets stressed in a medical environment. I would never have guessed it as he is a REALLY laid back kid. It was kind of the best news we could hope for given the circumstances.

If a visit to the nephrologist indicates that medication is necessary, I don't think it is that big of a deal (relatively speaking of course). It's better to know about and have it monitored regularly.

As for the food...maybe you could start transitioning to homemade mac & cheese. Processed foods always have way higher sodium content. (My son used to love him some mac & cheese when he was younger too!)