- advertisement -

Does anyone else pack their kids lunch because of D?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by M.Pendergraph, Oct 24, 2009.

1. M.Pendergraph

M.Pendergraph Approved members

Blake has always bought lunch from school. But now that D has come into the picture, I am starting to think about packing his lunch from now on. His school has the carb counts in all of the food but as we have been learning recently by some extremely off bg's, that the carb counts are not all that accurate. Does anyone else pack their kids lunch due to inaccurate carb counts in school lunches?

2. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

we do. Hanna never was a fan of school lunch but usually bought. We also found the carb counts inaccurate. She hasn't bought since dxs.

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb eats at school. He usually grabs chips and a sandwich from the ale cart menu. If he is not sure of the carb count he usually guesses or texts me.

4. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Emma packs 4 days a week and I let her choose one day a week that she can order. She attends a small private school so they don't provide carb counts but the lunch staff is very nice about letting me come in and check out the boxes and cans and raid the freezer to get carb counts for the days that she orders. She doesn't mind packing most of the time because the majority of her friends pack too. With school lunches being $3.50 each it is no wonder why!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie has always eaten a packed lunch at school. She thinks the school lunches are "gross" and there is no stigma here for bringing lunch, if anything it's sort of a social "plus" - not sure why, but that's the feeling I get whenever I ask if she'd like to try a school lunch. :cwds:

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have been packing a lunch for my son since he was in day care at 2. When he was dx'd at 3, this became essential. He had to eat a certain amount at school to cover the NPH that was kicking in. The only way I knew for certan what he ate, was to pack it myself. As time went on and he moved to Lantus/Humalog and then the pump, it was a whole lot easier to have in range sugars when I packed his lunch and wrote the carb count on the bag for him to bolus. I still do it!

He occasionally eats the school lunch, but invariably, his sugars are way off. We are having a hard time being accurate.

7. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

I've always packed Riley's lunch. I put the carb count on an index card that I decorate every day. Her best friend is collecting the cards :)
    Her mom told me the other day that she said "Mom! Don't throw those out, I am collecting them!"
    So cute :p

8. linda

linda Approved members

We have packed Ems lunch since dxd but not because of carbs, 1) if she was a little low at the before lunch check, they would have to rush to get her lunch special....sometimes the lines take too much time away from the time they have to eat.....sometimes she may not like it....like the protection if low before lunch to have her lunch plus snacks available....like to know in case of early dismissal or emergency evacuations she has her lunch....

It is just our routine to have it every day, We switch up the sandwiches with rice and beans, pasta salad, egg salad, salad with chicken, (with whole wheat strips or crackers)

Even if she is going out shopping on weekends, etc, she still will bring a lunch...just in case.. it has saved her many times!!!!!

We save pretty small shopping bags, and sometimes I buy at dollar store, so if it doesnt make it home, not a big deal...

9. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Joseph always ate school lunch before dx. Since then we pack both his snack and lunch. The only difficulty is if I want him to eat a sandwich at home he says, "No way, I eat them every day." I guess I need to get more creative!

10. maha

maha Approved members

That's the pbm when eating outside, even if there's carb counts ... The BG are not the same that are at home. And unfortunatly it does not exist a perfect formula for the insuline dose who take into account all things in the foods eated (what sort of carbs it is - the fat - protein, cos often that's do the difference).

I'm not a child but cos of very high bg after having eated in my new work cafeteria, and after having talked about that to my mum, she suggest me to bring my own food or to eat at home. That is what I'm doing.

11. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My son eats lunch at school when it is something he likes. They tend to have the same things each month - just different days - so he has pretty much figured out how many carbs to bolus for. If he really wants to buy lunch at school, maybe you can compromise and find a few lunches that are easier to figure out?

12. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Mara eats the school lunch every day. They have a special nutrition sheet for each and every item served, that has lots of info including accurate carb counts.

After she eats, she brings her tray to the nurse's office and the nurse calculates based on how much she "actually" ate.

13. candise

candise Approved members

We pack lunches- it seems to be healthier and less expensive. There is along line for hot lunch at my kids school as well. I love you idea of carb count cards- that is so cute. We just use sharpie on the ziploc baggies.

14. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

We pack lunches too. I'm not a fan of the stuff in school meals. I do allow her to pick two times a month if there is something she really wants to have.

15. samheis

samheis Approved members

I pack a lunch. It's just easier all around for us to do it that way.

16. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

I pack lunches everyday but it has nothing to do with Diabetes.
    My kids have always refused to eat school lunch. My daughter is in 8th grade and most of her friends bring a lunch also.

For Connor I put a card in his lunch everyday with his carb counts and what type of bolus I want him to do for the food in his lunch that day. He tests and boluses himself through the pump right before they leave for the cafeteria.

17. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

We pack lunch

We pack lunch each school day. Having a small themos has been great. I write the carb count on the napkin and he throws it out with any empty items.

Main reason we pack lunch is the long line for hot lunch and also what is served is often not very yummy.

18. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

Janie only ate hot lunch about twice a month before diagnosis, now she always brings lunch from home. A lot of the kids at our school do.

Right now she's taking the following everyday:

1 yogurt 33g
    1 cereal bar or Clif Z bar 21g/36g
    1 serving almonds 5g
    1 cheese stick
    1 sm bottle water

I'd like her to eat a little more, but she's not interestered.

19. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

We pack lunch for 7th grade son. He understands his BG needs to be as stable as possible during school so he can focus, learn, etc. We think that is more important than eating in the cafeteria.

20. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I do because
    1) I don't know how many carbs are in the lunches at school
    2) She's so incredibly sensitive to fat, I have to be really careful of fatty lunches.
    3) My lunches are healthier.

I also pack lunch for my non-diabetic son as well.