- advertisement -

Does Anyone Else Hate Lantus?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

My son is recently diagnosed. He is honeymooning so his ratio is 1/2 unit:20 carbs. When he was first diagnosed, they started him on humalog and lantus, but we took him off the lantus due to lows during the night.

His numbers during the night have been creeping back up lately (around 150) so I tried 1/2 unit of lantus again and of course, his number went down to 65 during the night.

Lantus just scares me to death because I never know what its going to do when. Any suggestions?

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Lantus had a peak for us, and so instead of doing it at night, we did the shot in the mornings, and planned a snack around 4-5 hours after the injection, and that seemed to solve our problems.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I found that lantus given at bedtime vs Lantus given when I woke up had pretty dramatically different effects on my blood sugar. The morning Lantus definitely affected the overnight less, so that's what I'd try if nights aren't working.

4. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

We don't hate lantus because it provides needed insulin throughout the day that our kiddos need besides the fast acting insulin, humalog that covers the food they eat. I'm not sure I understand your post - did you take your son off lantus, or did your endo instruct you to do so? I ask because, while some kiddos end up not needing background (basal) insulin during the honeymoon, that isn't always true. For many kids it's not optional, just like humalog or any fast acting insulin isn't optional either. If discontinuing lantus was something you did on your own, I would strongly encourage you to check in with your endo or CDE about that.

I do get what you're saying about challenges with lantus as we've certainly had issues with lantus due to overnight lows, and had to try lots of different things to get her dose correct and avoid overnight lows. We started giving it at night, switched to morning, then moved to split dosing (60% in the morning, and 40% at night.) If you've stopped lantus because your endo feels your son doesn't need it while he's honeymoon, be sure and mention the issue with night time lows so he / she can address that when your son needs to start back on a basal insulin.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Our experience with Lantus is a peak between the 4th and 5th hour, best experienced when NOT asleep, and we split the dose. Used to be a 70/30 split but is now 50/50.

6. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Sorry...I should not have said hate in my title, but I'm going on three hours of broken sleep from checking levels all night. :( My endo did take him off and we thought we'd try again due to the numbers creeping up.

I think I will suggest dosing in the morning so that there won't be unexpected lows during the night. I was under the impression it lasted about 24 hours, but I'm guessing it lessens in its strength closer to the 20 hours so that may work much better.

7. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Didn't mean to make you feel like your wording should have been different. I completely relate to the sleep deprived nights due in part to lantus. Early on I started to develop an internal resentment towards the problems we experienced with lantus, and had to make a conscious decision not to hate medications dd needs. I was afraid she'd pick up on that, and have emotional issues with therapies she needs, which wouldn't be good.

Like Mama C, we found the split worked better in providing coverage for the full 24 hours, but also placing the 5ish hour spike during waking hours. I don't know why we still had night time lows when giving it only in the am.

Your impression comes from how lantus is supposed to work, and according to manufacturer literature, does in the majority of people taking it- just not our kiddos and plenty of others on the board here. In fact, our endo refused to believe our problems were a result of lantus until a few other practitioners at the clinic acknowledged the problem and helped us address it.

Best of luck in figuring out what works best for your son, and I hope you're able to get some sleep soon!!

8. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

We were off Lantus for a little while after dx. When we started up again we started with .25 units which can carefully be done. (.5 would have been double what my daughter needed). We also give it in the morning.

9. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

We hated Lantus only because it burned Daniel tremendously when injected.....We are now on Levimir... Ask about it..

10. bryantfam

bryantfam Approved members

I'm a fan of Lantus, though we've never used it in the traditional morning or night dose way. We give it at 8 pm every day, but we are on a rather non traditional schedule, so bed time isn't until around 3. We picked 8 because it isn't a go to sleep time, wake up time, or meal time. It has worked really well for us for the last year.

11. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

It's OK to hate Lantus. I hate insulin pumps too, but I'm sure glad we have them. The suggestion to try Lantus in the morning is a good one.

12. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

My CWD has different basal levels at different times, so now that she is on a pump I know why we struggled so much with lantus. Had I been on the forum, I may have learned some of the tricks. I think the AM idea or split dose would work well. My CWD's basal needs are higher in the AM, so the stronger lantus would have worked well, most likely.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm a big Lantus fan - but you need to give it in the morning to avoid the potential for overnight lows. Sounds like you are planning on that, which is great.. :cwds:

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.
    I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Kind of like the pump, don't love it at times, but am so glad to have it.

We used Lantus in the summer successfully, then boom it stopped working well for us this past year. We switched to Levimere, and it worked great. Added bonus, it didn't sting like the Lantus did. I plan on using it again this summer. I also think that shaking things up a bit helped us for some reason...

15. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I agree with the others, we saw a peak in the lantus at the 4-5 hour mark. We switched it to the morning, and it has been so much better!
    Also, as some of the others mentioned, lantus can sting a bit going in, so we give it in the bum. A bit more padding there and definitely less stinging.