- advertisement -

Does anybody swim with MM pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, May 29, 2012.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I know that both Mm and Animas are supposed to be waterproof unless they have a crack in it. But I wonder if Animas is made to crack less frequently so thay can call it waterproof whereas mm will crack easily so they won't label it waterproof. Does anybody really just go swimming with their mm as if it is waterproof? Is this a terrible idea?

I know mm will replace it even if it got wet so I'm wondering if we should just risk it and go in the pool with the pump.

2. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

We have medtronic and that is definitely not waterproof. We are using water-resistant pouch for swimming or disconnect the pump. Sensor is ok, we tape it with water-resistant see-through tape.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd as happily swim with the MM as I would with the Animas. In actual fact I wouldn't swim with either because I don't swim regularly enough or for long enough that it is an issue to just reconnect and bolus half of the missed basal every hour. I'd be getting out of the pool hourly to check BG and eat anyway, so it's just not really an issue.

4. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

We have the minimed pump and would not swim with it on. We have had to replace 3 pumps so far - 1 for cracks and the other 2 just from butons going haywire. Mydaughterwearsherpump inside her waistband clip facing out and has enough probwith moisture from body. Would not riskit swimming. Swimming usually drives her sugars down anyway.

5. Sari

Sari Approved members

No way! One hairline crack that you can't see is enough to kill your pump.
    Ross jumped in a pool once a few years ago before we realized he didn't disconnect and Medtronic was overnighting us a new pump.
    In our house, water is not our friend - with the pump or our basement! :(

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've had Cozmo, Ping and MM pumps and I wouldn't let her swim with any of them on.

No pump is made more "prone" to crack. Why would anyone make a pump that is more prone to crack than any other? :confused:

7. denise3099

I didn't mean that it's made more prone to crack but rather that perhaps the animas is less prone to develop tiny cracks that would make it no waterproof. Animas claims to be waterproof. MM claims that any pump is waterproof as long as they don't have tiny cracks and no pump is waterproof if they do--as if they are trying to say "don't go with animas just for the waterproofing b.c they aren't anymore waterproof than mm." But perhaps animas can claim waterproof b/c it is built sturdy enough not to suffer such cracks so often?

Basically, I feel I can let my dd go with friends and their parents to the pool but letting her leave her pump on a table orsomething makes me nervous. I guess it would just be easier if she didn't disconnect--and she doesn't want to wear the aquapac. :(

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

For pool side with chlorine I like to disconnect and put the pump in a cooler but then I feel the cooler must be 'watched' if at a public place like white water

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Both are officially rated as waterproof, so I don't think one cracks more than the other. I'm another one who wouldn't swim with either of them - it's not worth the risk of having to go to MDI for a couple of days. It would be a nightmare.

Have you looked into getting an Omnipod for waterpark days? I think the PDM is only a couple hundred bucks OOP, and then you can get pods covered just like sites.

10. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Went to Mexico a few years ago and went kayaking my first day there. Left my pump on. It got splashed. Got to spent the rest of my vacation doing MDI.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Nope. Not here. In any case, I would never attempt trying the waterproofiness of a pump. I'm a bit on the paranoid side with that.

12. denise3099

Hey, that's a good idea. I never thought of that. I think I'll look into that.

MM claims NOT to be waterproof and suggests you take if of before going into water. I personally like the aquapak, but it is kinda big and floppy and dd doesn't want to wear it. The pod might be just the thing for the summer.

13. denise3099

So I checked out Omnipod and if you already have a pump they will sell you the pdm and starter kit for $200. So I filled out the info and they are going to process it. That's so awesome. And you don't have to trade in your pump or anything so you always have a backup. What a great idea! :D

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Actually MM is officially rated to be waterproof by whoever rates this stuff. Thirty minutes in three feet of water or something like that. MM chooses not to market it as waterproof, but "officially" it is waterproof.

I'll be interested to see how the Pod thing works out for you. I've heard rumors that the smaller pod is coming very soon, and then we're going to give it a go for swimming too.

15. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Nope. The minimed goes on the shelf from May to October around here. This is our 3rd summer using the omnipod for the season with all the water activities, and it's great!

16. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

My son would swim for hours with the ping

no problem. My mom ruined 2 medtronic pumps last summer by getting them wet. That being said we are now using the MM which I love and I wouldn't let him swim with any pump.

Clear as mud?

Kariann :)

17. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We take it off for swimming. The only drawback for us is that if he's in the water long enough it loses the sensor.

A couple of years ago we were on vacation in Niagara Falls at Great Wolf Lodge. When we arrived our son was so excited he jumped into the pool without taking the pump off. Of course it got water in it and died. I called medronic and they had a new one to us the same day, free of charge.