- advertisement -

Does altitude or temperature make a big difference?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dk10, Jan 29, 2009.

1. dk10

dk10 Approved members

We live in a tropical climate in the plains. Last weekend we went up to the hills - about 2500 m above sea level. The weather was much colder in the evenings, though just a bit cooler in the daytime.

I found that for the same insulin regime and activity, my daughter seemed to need almost 25% less food to maintain normal glucose levels. About 4 months back, we had again taken her to a higher altitude, and for that entire week she had horribly high numbers. We couldn't figure out then what the problem was, and thought maybe she's stopped honeymooning. but this time we were prepared so I fed her less and found that working better. We're back home now, and things seem to be back to normal.

Anyone experienceed this? Do you think it's the higher altitude, or is it the lower temperature?

2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

We live at 4000 ft above sea level and regularly go down to sea level. When down the mountain, he needs less insulin. I've also noticed that when it's colder, he needs more insulin. Now that it's warming up here, we've had to drop back the Lantus (which we indeed increased as it got colder a couple months ago). So in our case, I would say temperature and altitude both have an effect.

3. dk10

dk10 Approved members

Thanks!

Wow, thanks! How come I haven't seen stuff like this in the books by 'experts', and the endo doesn't seem aware of it either?? Someone (maybe on the forums here?) should put together a book on the little tips to manage T1 better. I'd buy it at a shot! Thanks again.

4. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Yeah, you'd think they would document this sort of thing. I asked about it some time back when I noticed and some folks did pipe in that they saw the same thing. hm. :)