- advertisement -

Does ADHD interfere with your child managing D?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Jun 2, 2011.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Worrier that I am, I often think about the time when I will hand the reins of managing D over to my son. I know that time is years away but, now that he also has been dx with ADHD, I also wonder...will that interfere with the way he handles his D? He is on a methylphenidate patch, which does handle his symptoms fairly well but, what if he forgets his medication one day when he is a teenager?? Will his ADHD make him overlook his D management?

Parents of kids with older ADHD kids...do you find ADHD symptoms interfere with how your child manages D? Do they forget boluses, BG checks, etc.? I know that even teens without ADHD may sometimes seem like that have it:p, and forgetting D management is common in that age period. I'm worrying that ADHD will compound that even more.

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

my son is not on medication and I do all his diabetes care-but sometimes I worry a teacher/sub will overlook his highs as it is very much like when he's having one of his moments!

3. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

My son is 15, and has ADHD we don't medicate. Just this week I found his pump on the bathroom counter, where he had taken it off for his shower. He was getting ready for Driver's Ed class, where there is a cute girl, all part of the recipe for disaster. Thing is it was an hour after his shower that I found it. Naturally I had to mess with him a little bit.:D

I'm not sure if I'm helpful or not, but I just want to encourage you that like everything else, he will deal with it, hopefully learn from it and move on. :)

4. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

My son has ADD...and we do medicate for it (I would be in a padded room if not), and yes...D care and ADD do not mix well here. He forgets to check, bolus, put pump back on, tell me if it beeped for whatever reason, about out of insulin, ETC..... I DREAD the day I have to hand over the reins and say..."here ya go"...

He is 13 now, and can handle his own care for a bit...but not anywhere that there is distractions. Thank golly he has a phone...when he remembers to take it with him:rolleyes:

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

This is a real question (not judgmental) and something I think about, but do any of your Docs who diagnosed and treat the ADD or ADHD have some paper and pencil solutions to the T1 issues. I think it is a real issue, even for one without ADD/ADHD and one that I suspect Endos and Psch or Pedos do not really address. I may be really off base so please correct me if wrong but I do think this is an area that could be helped with some easy practical pencil and paper or alarm or call reminders, or some other way to address worked out over time with the Doc. A hands on solution will probably work best if started with a Doc and a caring parent to help oversee. All kids are a challenge in one way or another:pali

6. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

This is where we are having all of our legal issues. Our son had ADD/ADHD symptoms before D dx. Now that he is 7, he has D for 5 years now. He is one short-acting methyphenidate (Ritalin) so he gets it twice a day. His 504 addresses both health issues and they will not give him an OHI IEP b/c they say it does not affect academics. WRONG. He gets anxious when he gets in trouble for behavior issues and that messes with his blood sugar. When he is low, his ADHD behaviors get worse, and they don't understand that everything interacts and it isn't one thing or another, the two are intertwined. It is a huge challenge. When he has behavior issues, they are suppose to check BS first and then have behavior interventions in place until they can get his BS regulated; if BS is within range, then they need behavior interventions to deal with ADHD. Added to this mess, he has writing issues (common in ADHD kids) along with sensory issues (physically holding a pencil). All of these issues, along with an absolutely ridiculous adminstration has made for a horrible school year. Our lawyer has filed complaints with local court, Fed court and now the state school board and an OCR complaint. Make sure you get things in place.
    As far as D self-management, Zach has actually gotten better at his own care as we go.