advertisement

Does Accutane cause Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 2' started by ReneeWittman, Jul 6, 2012.

1. ReneeWittman

ReneeWittman Approved members

My son was on Accutane for six months to get rid of a rare skin rash. During that time, his triglycerides went up to 700. The dermatologist said at 800, pancreatitis develops so he took him off the Accutane. During that time, my son got very lethargic so I asked that we test his blood glucose. Sure enough, he has now been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, though the doctor thought initially that he has MODY. Has anyone out there had a similar experience? Just curious.

2. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

No experience, but Accutane's side effects do include autoimmune diseases such as Type 1 diabetes, lupus and multiple sclerosis.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

It appears have been "associated" to an "unmasking" of a latent T1 D in one case and could cause BG abnormalities, however, I couldn't find any reference to it causing T1D, Lupus or MS as the PP asserted.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/accutane-side-effects.html

4. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

My daughter developed high blood sugars on accutane. She was 19 years old. Fortunately, her high blood sugars went down after she quit taking accutane. I am so thankful everything has returned to normal. It did take a couple of weeks to get the normal blood sugars.

5. ReneeWittman

ReneeWittman Approved members

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. :)