- advertisement -

Do you wear ID?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AK PUMPN, Oct 2, 2007.

1. AK PUMPN

AK PUMPN New Member

I've been a T1 for 11 years now... I went to the eye doctor today, uneventful thankfully, but we somehow got on the topic about wearing one of those medical bracelets... does anyone wear any "diabetic id"? tags, necklace, card??? I used to carry a card in my wallet, but being an insulin pump user, I figure if the medic cant see an insulin pump hanging out of my side they shouldn't be a medic in the first place... Also, being a dude, I'm not too much into the jewelry thing... I have a penecillin alergy too and used to wear a bracelet for that when I was a lot younger... but now it just seems like too much work.

What does everyone think about IDs???

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I think they're absolutely necessary! It's been posted that not even all EMTs know what an insulin pump is or have seen one which I was shocked to read!!!

My son is at college and I found him not wearing the metal bracelet type, but he does wear this one now. The only thing is it only comes in a small adult size not for a large wrist. My son is 6'4" but has small wrists. Buy alot if you like them because I think you should only wear them if the white lettering is looking bright and readable - otherwise why wear it.

If you use the search function, there are threads where people have posted great links to great bracelet options online.

I would wear a bracelet or something definitely- preferably the medic alert metal type!!!! Take care! :cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds:

http://www.fiddledeeids.com/catalog...ledeeids.com/catalog.php?page=1&category=boys

I wanted to add too that there is not time to look for insulin pumps in addition to responding to an emergency situation for all scenarios. They are trained to look at the key areas of the wrist and neck.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  3. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Aaron wears the Velcro "sports" medic alert bracelet, but he has taken to wearing it on his belt loop (it gets sweaty and gross on his wrist). I'm thinking that hopefully a medic would at least SEE the pump and take a look at where it goes, and see the bracelet then...

4. heather

heather Approved members

I make sure my son AWLAYS has his ID bracelet on. It freaks me out to think he might go low when I'm not around and no one will knows what's wrong with him, or how to treat him.

I also think about the body builder who was recently arrested because he was having a low, and the cops thought he was drunk and disorderly. Or the guy who got thrown off the Amtrak train for the same reason. I don't know if those guys had on ID bracelets, but it might have helped identify their diabetes if they were.

If you really hate wearing a bracelet or other jewelry, how about a watch? i've seen some watches online when shopping for ID bracelets, and they had watches with a little medical ID alert charm on them. here's one link:

http://www.americanmedical-id.com/marketplace/details.php?prodid=1120009119

or
    http://www.milnejewelry.com/Doc_Tock/watch06.html

or even the Info MedicWatch from www.decowatch.com--it attaches to watches

5. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

My son has the metal adjustable bracelet, he has worn it since he was five. I am not sure if it will even come off now.:)

6. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Not good news, but Mr. Universe WAS wearing an ID, but the authorities did not see it; it was a major point of contention, but then, it was not EMT's responding to his emergency, it was police, since someone in the movie theater where he was saw him acting strangely and called the police, thinking he was drunk.

I absolutely think we need to wear ID at all times. Another option that is becoming popular of late is having a tattoo, maybe that's manly enough for ya? LOL, I'd even be willing to do that... I'm sure you could get the medical symbol next to it to help medical personnel to identify that's what the tattoo is for.

Anyway, dd and I are both going to be getting new ones soon-- her sister broke her last two for her, and I haven't worn one for a while. I want to get us matching ones.

7. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

i wear it! i also have a insulin pump... but there are so many stupid people out there that i think that it is pretty important to wear it. lol. any time they take you to the hospital they hook you up to fluids, no matter what!! but guess what fluids are full of, sugar!

I think it is a pretty good idea! I understand that guys would be self concious of it thou. they make dog tag looking ones. that would be ok for a guy i guess.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I wear it. I'm hoping that my folks will buy me a sports band one for my birthday because they're cooler and because this one eats my skin when I play rough sports; I end up with a wrist that looks like it got chewed on.
    I don't think the bracelet looks feminine; on mine, the links are big enough that I find myself thinking it makes me look gangsta.

9. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

I think its extremely important. Not only for D but also if you're allergic to penicillin (they can kill you if you're not conscience and they treat you with it). My son wears his all the time, its not an option. There's so many types of id's to choose from, search for "medic alert ids" on the internet and I'm sure you'll find something you like.

10. momto2

momto2 Approved members

Wish I could convince my daughter to wear one.

Right now, it to her would be an unwanted reminder of what she's dealing with constantly.

My fear is, it will take her first time passing out where folks don't know her well to make her realize that her dislike of the idea is less important than her ultimate safety.

11. jendean

jendean Approved members

Keep in mind that if you are in a car accident or a motorcycle accident, that little piece of tape is NOT going to hold your pump onto your body at all. Your pump will most likely be thrown in a different direction than you will, and then, even though there is a small circle of dirt around where your sticky was, or some residue and a hole in the middle....
    that is meaningless to anyone.
    If you hate to wear jewelry, consider getting a bright permanent tattoo on your upper chest, or an outer wrist.
    Just a thought.
    If a cure is found, you can have it lasered off.
    Oh yeah, if you are mugged and beaten, your wallet (and most probably your pump will be stolen as well)

12. jendean

jendean Approved members

OH!
    I have to tell how I got my son to keep an ID on.
    Nolan had been through about 200 dollars worth of ID bracelets... He woudl break them, lose them, loan them to other kids to wear... never to return home..(whoever these parents are who see thier kids come home with a medical bracelet and dont return it..... I cant understand that...
    I was getting a little tired of it, so finally I found a place that would send an ID, and had a place where you could fill out a personal message when it was shipped.
    The place was StickyJ, and is an online place with some wonderful jewelry, and medical alert bracelets.
    Since the only thing Nolan was interested in was the titanic shipwreck I had them write,
    Hello this bracelet was made from metal salvaged from the shipwreck Titanic. It is believed to have special powers, and will bring good luck to the person who sizes and wears it. The only way to ruin the powers is to take it off without the permisson of that persons mother...
    Please wear this bracelet and do not remove it without permission from your mother or you will lose all of the good fortune that it may bring.

He wore it for almost one straight year. :)
    He is good about it now.

TheFormerLantusFiend likes this.
  13. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

How about the shoe ID? They have a red tag that is threaded through the laces you can wear on your shoes if nothing else. At school Ty does not wear ID. We live in a small town and all of the students and staff are aware that he has type 1. He is also registered at our local EMS and our friend runs the place so they know who Tyler is. If he is going to go to a friends I don't make him wear it. Homecoming football game? I want it on him. I don't feel it's always neccesary but there are times that it is. Soccer? No, I'm there.

Now I have never thought of a tattoo. Maybe one day when he's rebelling I will take him for a tattoo. LOL! I'll be the cool mom again until he realizes he just put a medical label on himself for life when there may be a cure in ten years. I can hear it now, what kind of mother are you for letting me tattoo myself anyway. What were you thinking? LOL!

Tami

14. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

At our house, it is not optional. I am an Emt, and honestly, if a parent were in an accident with thier diabetic child (car/school shooting/bombing) and the parent was unable to communicate how would anyone know (even in a small town cause they would call in other towns to help in a mass cassualty situation) that your child has diabetes. Like Jen said, there is no guarantee in an emergency situation that the pump would stay connected to the child's body. I am one of those Emt's that had NEVER seen an insulin pump before my daughter was dx. Hailey is one of 2 type 1 diabetics in town and the other boy(high schooler) got a pump AFTER Hailey did. Since the huge percentage of our population is elderly I had delt with TONS AND TONS of type 2 diabetics but never once a type 1. Our training for my Emt license literally had one paragraph about Type 1 and it basically said they are insulin dependent and give sugar if below 70. I am State and Nationally Licensed. People need to understand that unless you go to your local EMS and ask what they know, they may not know very much at all. We are trained to deal with emergency situations. Save, stabalize, and transport. It is the hospitals job to find out what and why, we just keep them alive until they get there. Sorry if this upsets some people but it is the truth where I live.

15. jendean

jendean Approved members

Too true.
    there is nothing as good as the good old fashioned BRIGHT RED on SILVER cadecues (sp?) around the neck to get people looking. Like I said before, an insulin pump can be thrown yards from the victim...
    dont count on that...
    paramedics and emts are trained to think of MANY life threatening things, such as possible coagulation disorders, drug overdoses... anaphylactic shock, septic shock, etc...

16. jendean

jendean Approved members

Oh btw, one of the moms on our local support group forum had the good idea of everyone ordering id's at the same time on one order... it saves potential shipping costs, and maybe can get a discount for stuff too.
    :)
    that is pretty cool... also promotes some empathy and some... oh.... I dunnno, sense of; "hey look we all got our bracelts today... this is something WE do." instead of "this is something I have to do"

17. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

YOU NEED TO HAVE ONE! I have a medicalert and it saved my life right after I was put on the pump. I live in the 4th largest city and the medic knew what a pump was but did NOT know what it looked like. So when I went low (my bs was 45 when they got there and was 23 when I was put in the ambulance) he called medicalert who called my mom and told them how to turn the pump on suspend. So I stongly believe everyone should wear one (medicalert is the best you can put a emergency contact who they call imediatly and they also call several days later to check on you). Also as a nursing student I see alot of diabetic who do not have one and it is frustating to not know what the matter is and also what if you choice to wear your pump in your bra or put it in a pocket.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  18. DustinsDad

DustinsDad Approved members

The first one we got didn't last a week, but the metal bracelet he has worn since then (never been off). We have another one in standby for when he grows out of or loses this one. I would consider it a matter of neglect if I let him go without one.

19. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

I usually just wear one of these. They aren't completely obvious, but they do have the medical alert symbol and diabetes on them. They aren't girly, they are cheap, and you can get them in lots of colors because they are cheap!
    http://www.coolmedid.com/

20. cabo5150

cabo5150 New Member