- advertisement -

Do you wake child to test for ketones?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Aug 27, 2011.

1. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

My diabetic educator told me to check for ketones in Caroline's urine anytime she doesn't feel well or if her level is over 250. She's been running low lately but last night since they tried no Lantus she was about 290 at midnight and I didn't think to wake her to pee and test (after her correction). Do you test every time they're over 250? Ugh. I have to get the hang of this.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I test ketones rather often, since my son produces them very easily. Usually 2-3 readings over 250. Some kids don't produce them as often, though.

Try to get a blood ketone meter. There are two:

- the Precision Xtra (Abbott Laboratories)
    http://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/precision-xtra-blood-glucose-and-ketone-monitoring-system.html

- NovaMaxPlus
    *Look for the ad banner here on the site, on top

See if your endo office has one on hand to give to you or call the companies to see if you can get one. The meters read both BG and ketones, using different strips (which can be pricey). The blood ketone readings are way more "real time" than urine, which lag hours behind.

ETA: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0n_030.htm

3. BittysMom

Thanks, so when you test your son's glucose level, it also gives you his ketones? or do you use that monitor only when you're suspecting ketones?

4. StillMamamia

No, the meters use different (separate) strips to read BGs and ketones. I personally don't use them to test BG, just for ketones. I prefer the AccuChek Aviva for BG readings.:cwds:

5. BittysMom

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

6. StillMamamia

Not sure if your child uses Pull-Ups (mine did at that age, at night;)), but we used to wring some pee out of the diaper onto a plastic cup and dip the ketone stick in it (fun times:rolleyes:). This was before I found out here about the meter.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

we always test for ketones day or night with two BG readings over 250. Our son's endo gave us a blood ketone meter with sample amount of ketone strips on dx, so ask your endo first :) Our past insurance wouldn't cover the strips, but with a little letter writing, emails and phone calls we got them covered!

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I third the blood ketone meter. It helps a lot. Just needs a more blood sample than your regular blood glucose meter. Incidentally, I just checked her for ketones since she's been running high. Thankfully none.

9. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Yep, definitely get a blood ketone meter. Urine ketones lag several hours behind blood ketones so you don't get an accurate picture of what going on now. Its also much easier to test blood ketones on a sleepy or ill child who doesn't feel like getting up and peeing! :cwds:

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

We rarely test ketones. I think it's different when you're on MDI because there's no the urgency of going into DKA in a short amount of time. The only time he's had ketones at all is when he was low with the stomach flu. We did use the blood ketone meter to check ketones then. If Connor has several high numbers, we'll check urine numbers if he's not ill. So far (since he was 5), he's never had ketones for high numbers. Knock on wood... We test him regularly, so we give him insulin to bring his numbers back into range before ketones develop.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We test for ketones if:

She is 250+ more than 2 tests in a row
    She is sick
    We suspect that pump site is bad

We use a ketone meter, so we don't have to wake her. Go on the Walgreens website, they are always having sales on those. It's worth the investment. Some insurances cover them.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think if you were without lantus last night and she went to 290 then that would be a time you'd want to check. Like Paula said, most of us now all use the blood ketone meter (regardless of what we use for glucose testing). Normally though, when you're on MDI with lantus in her system the urgency to need to test ketones is pretty low since she's not going without insulin. But in this case, where you removed the lantus, that would be a situation where you'd want to check.

After a while you'll get a feel for if your child is a ketone producer..or not.

13. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We only test if she has 2 readings over 250 or if we have one reading in the high 300's or 400 range. She being dx she has never had ketones.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I can taste when I have ketones, so I only test then. (I know it sounds kind of whacky.. it is weird, but you know. I guess if some people can smell them, it kind of makes sense that some people can taste them!?). I develop ketones easily compared to some - usually when insulin delivery is stopped for anything around an hour or more, or when my basal rate is set even a little too low. Sucks, but what can you do!? Since diagnosis, I've never gone into DKA. I get ketones easily, but I also become aware of them quickly and deal with the issue with a load of extra insulin.

I'd recommend a blood ketone meter, to avoid having to make a sleepy kid pee (also good during sickness - a dehydrated kid doesn't pee so much anyway, and you may be testing ketones more frequently than your kid wants to pee).

15. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Another vote for the blood ketone meter. That is all we have ever used. Our endo gave us one at dx and told us to skip the urine strips completely.

16. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We were one of the first people to request a script for blood keytone testing with our endo and we got the idea right here. We started out just using it for at night and for confirming when he had keytones ,where we were at and if they were coming down, now it is all we do. We get 10 every month and our insurance was ok with paying for them since we were only requesting this many. It is wonderful now that Jared is in Junior high the health aid can just test his blood instead of embarrassing him by having him pee on a stick and bring it to her, which is actually kinda gross if you think about it and one of the reasons we told the endo we wanted these along with being able to check at night without having to wake him up.

17. BittysMom

I'm still here everyone, thanks for the replies. We just got our power back from Irene so I've been MIA lately. It sounds like the meter is the way to go. I'll ask at our next visit. Caroline's numbers have been so low lately, we might try no Lantus again tonight. We'll see.