- advertisement -

Do you use the Minimed sensors past the expiration date?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by ecs1516, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I just received Minimed sensors that expire 4/17. If I don't get through them, will they still work?

2. 3boys1girl

3boys1girl Approved members

I'd love to know the answer to this too! We just started cgming a week ago Tuesday. I confirmed with the trainer that the very same sensors are awaiting FDA approval for a 7 day wear time. Obviously, she couldn't tell me it was okay to wear them for 7 days, but she mentioned this site, and said that I could check to see what others were doing. I had heard that the sensors have a short exp. date. So when I called to order, the MM rep assured me that they will always have 6 months when you receive them. Well, because we were at 100% on my daughters insurance, I ordered three boxes. Figuring at six months they'd still be good, even with a seven day wear. Well when they arrived they only had 4 months before expiration. So far I've only put in two. The first I replaced on the sixth day because I wanted to get set up to change on Sundays. If all goes well, and we get six or seven days we'll be beyond expiration on some of ours and MM told me they won't replace them if they're expired. They offered to take back a box and resend them, but told me I might get a box with less of an expiration date since they base it on a three day wear for a box of ten. Do you keep yours in the fridge? I think I saw some mention of that somewhere?

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

In a word, yes.

I'm careful about not giving a load of insulin based purely on a sensor result, but I see no reason not to at least try.

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I just finished a box that expired a month or two before I could use them up. I used them - they are too expensive not too. I didn't notice too much difference but I think maybe there was 1 or 2 out of the box of 10 that I didn't get the full 7 days from - just got a lot of weak signals toward the end but we were also waiting for a new transmitter so that could have been the issue.

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I had a box I gave away b/c it had just expired like 2 wks before. I didn't use it b/c I didn't want dd to have to deal with a bad sensor at school. And b/c my insurance only charges 10 bucks a box. If I were paying oop or a high copay I would defintiely have used them. The worse that could happen is they don't work. Knowing that you keep an eye on it.

Also, from reading lots of other posts and forums, ppl use them up to a year after their exp date!! Like most things, they don't go bad on a certain date but slowly start to lose effectiveness. They are coated with enzymes so they start to degrade over time and out of temperature range. So if you don't "need" them, pass them on. If you do "need" them, use them, but keep an eye on them.

And remember even a new sensor can be a "bad" sensor so you should be keeping an eye on them anyway.

6. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

My son started using the CGMS on 11/23/10. We went for training and asked about using the sensors for longer than the prescribed 3 days based on what I've read on this site. They said that they had FDA approval for 3 days, but since we asked, that they did wear their sensors longer. (Both of the trainers were Type 1's.) One of them told us her doctor was OK with her wearing a sensor past the 3 day mark as long as it was working well.