- advertisement -

do you use Sure T's on back of arm?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Reagan's Mama, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

We switched to Sure Ts some time back and love them. Thinking of trying to get Reagan to try the back of her arm I am wondering where you would place the 2nd piece where it disconnects?

If you are doing this, could you please help us??

Thank you.

2. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We insert the Sure-T with the tubing down and then wrap it around the outside to the front of her arm. The connector would lay angled so that the tubing feeds the right way to go down her shirt. We tried going under her arm, but the tubing bothered her that way. My daughter's older and needs to be able to disconnect on her own, she can't reach if we put the connector on the back of her arm.

We're doing a site change later and could do an arm site if it would help to see a picture.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Im reading along..I want to know too!!!

4. mom2ejca

Something else I thought of: the backs of the arms are far more sensitive for my daughter than anywhere else. We don't use any numbing cream for belly or leg sites, but after 1 bad experience, we now ALWAYS use EMLA for arm sites, and we give it a good long time to get working.

It may not be a problem for others, but I thought I would throw it out there.

5. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

I would LOVE a picture! And thanks for the tip about the EMLA cream, I use it for her CGMS insertions but have never used for a site change. Good to know that it's super sensitive for some!

6. mom2ejca

Here's a pic of where we put the connector:

7. mom2ejca

This is a pic of the site. We used her left arm, so the tubing is down so it lays right. If we use her upper right arm, I think the tubing has to point up so it lays against her arm. We very seldom use her right arm, because she doesn't like to, so I don't remember for sure.

As we move down her arm, we may have to turn the tubing sideways so we have enough tubing to keep the connector in her preferred spot. We try to keep it as snug (without being too tight) as possible against her arm, because she's prone to catching the tubing.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  8. mph

mph Approved members

Great idea! I need to try that for his clinic visit this month because having ME disconnect his site on his bum in the jam packed waiting room (so they can upload) is a "bit" embarrassing now that he is getting older :eek:.:D

9. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We use contact detach's (very similar to sure t) and I am getting ready to take a picture. We just did an arm site and put the connector on the front of arm but the tubing goes underneath her arm and I put the connector going up so that when her arm is raised the tubing is going down toward her pump. I'll try to show in the pic.

10. wvchinacat

11. wvchinacat

I will also say that before I place the site - I sort of try it out. Sometimes I find that the tubing is too short if I do not get it in just the right place . . .
    Good luck

12. Cabins Crue

Cabins Crue Approved members

we do the back of the arm.. I use the 43 inch tubing from the silhouette and put the sure- T on the back of his arm.. that way he can put his pump in his pocket! he loves the back of the arm best.