- advertisement -

Do you use a food scale?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HanksMom, Nov 11, 2010.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Do you use a food scale to weigh your child's food, or just estimate it? If you use a scale, which one?

Thanks!!

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I got a great scale at target. I would love a salters, but its not in the budget. I mostly weigh fruit with it, and use measure cups. We do eyeball when out and about becouse I dont carry the scale or measure cups with us.

3. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

I use the travel Salter scale

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

nope. We've gotten pretty good at estimating.
    I have been thinking about a scale, though, especially with the holidays and all the extra and special foods.

5. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

We use a scale. It was just a $5 one from Walmart. We mostly use it for fruits and veg or anything that gives us a measurement in oz otherwise we just use measuring cups.

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I didn't use a food scale for the first year or so...it was about July/august that he started having all kinds of highs, so I finally got one so we could have more accurate carb counting. After his honeymooning was over, he was a lot less forgiving of carb counting errors. :) I got the perfect portions scale ($50 at bed bath and beyond, but I paid $40, yay for coupons!). It has codes for different foods and shows you the nutrition facts (so you don't have to know the carb factor for EVERYTHING). Finding the right code is sometimes kind of a hassle, but it's better than nothing. You could very well get away with a $20 scale, if cost is a problem. It MUST be digital, though.

I still eyeball some foods. There's no code for hot cereal, or homemade stuff like soup or casseroles (for obvious reasons). It's GREAT for homemade bread, though! No more guessing depending on how thick the slices are. :) Or canned fruit, etc. And cold cereal....I wouldn't ever be able to let him eat it without a scale. Measuring/eyeballing it is just too inaccurate.

Overall, I'm really glad I finally broke down and bought a scale. You won't regret getting one.

7. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

nope - never have. I suppose it may have helped us, but my theory is that my son (now 14) will have to learn to figure out his carbs on his own as he gets older (can't see him carrying around a scale), so from the time he was diagnosed he has learned how to read labels, look up carb info, and guesstimate. I think it is an individual decision - everyone does what works for their child and their family.

8. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yes we do and we love it.

Just a few grams difference in a meal makes a big difference for us in our daughters numbers so we do try to be accurate. Sure when we go out we have to estimate and sometimes we do have bad numbers then. (We have even brought it with us sometimes despite its bulk and weight - not that it is that bulky or heavy) Even with the scale there are some things that are estimated but it is a more accurate estimate.

We use the "Perfect Portions" scale. It calculates carbs for you if you enter the code for the food you are weighing and is accurate to two grams. It was about $50. You can zero out the containers before weighing or zero it each time you add a new item to the plate. We have not used the programmable feature yet but you can create a code for a particular food that is not in the book - like your favorite casserole.

The book that comes with the scale is good too. It is even slick and "placticy" and I imagine that the pages could be washed.

9. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I bought a walmart scale (cheapest I could find) after dx, recently I bought a new one.
    http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/salter-1450.aspx
    got it after I read about it on here. I love it!

10. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

Yes we use our food scale quite a bit. For me it's easier to put a bowl on it, zero it out, put the so-many grams of yogurt (or whatever) in it, rather than put it in a measuring cup, then put it in a bowl. But I can see after doing this for a while you can estimate pretty good. After giving yogurt for the 20th time, I can pretty much eyeball it.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, but judiciously. ;)

We have a Salter scale. It's a great help. We went years without it, but I'd hate to give it up now after seeing how helpful it is. That said, I try to be very discreet about it. Food can become such a loaded topic in a D child's life, I think it takes extra effort on the parent's part to use the scale to gain information for the bolus and not let it become a dictatorial force. It's just not normal to weigh a child's food, so while we do it, we do it with as little fanfare as possible.

One other point - using a scale can help train your eye to know what 100g of xyz food looks like, so it does make on the fly guesstimating easier. And since I would never travel with one, that is a big help.

12. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we use a digital scale from target. we have a travel salter scale somewhere but the digital one is faster and I have all the random carb factors in my head.

13. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Yes, we use the Salter scale most of the time. Sometimes we can estimate, but with toddlers even one carb can make a big difference.

When my son wears CGMS, I'm not as diligent about the weighing, because I can catch a low before it happens.

14. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

I have a scale, I've only used it once tho. I mostly use measuring cups or look things up online when I'm not sure

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ummm...mostly not. Usually just to get back on track with the guesstimating.:eek:

16. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

All the above. We do have a scale (Salter, bought it from amazon) and we estimate. I'd say that for daily things we estimate more than weigh, but for baking and such, the scale is invaluable. I'm not a measuring type baker, I toss in a bit of this and a bit of that, so after diagnosis I felt very constricted. With the scale I can bake again by my own whims, just weighing before I toss in a bit of this and a bit of that! It has made bread baking particularly easy again (I usually just add up all the ingredients and then weigh the whole loaf, that way I have a factor when I weigh each slice).

My son uses it for cereal and things like crackers/chips, so his main use of it is dry good that are hard to measure by cup. He finds that he has a lot less trouble when he weigh those type things.

For everyday meals we really don't use it, I find it easier to measure by cup on things like soups/casseroles.

17. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I just got my own salter scale a week ago to the day.
    I love it and I don't know how I lived without it before. That's not to say that everyone needs one, though :cwds: YDMV.
    That being said, I have not had a bg over 220 since I got it. The little highs that I have had were from bad sites.
    Take that as you will :D

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

yes we use a scale. Technically ours is a postal scale, it was one we had before ashleigh was dx. it weighs in pounds, ounces, and grams (all accurate). The only bad thing is it doesn't have foods registered in it. So I have to know the carb amount for the food off hand. Which BTW i'm getting pretty good at remembering.

19. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We use a $25 scale I got from Amazon - I love it! It has a tare feature (zeros out the weight of cups, bowls, etc) and weighs up to 11 pounds. It weighs in grams, ml, oz and fluid oz.

When we are out, I guesstimate.

Here is the scale http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MSZBSI/ref=oss_product

20. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Within the first week of dx, my mom bought me a Taylor digital scale. I use it frequently, but have gotten better at and am more comfortable estimating when we are out.

We also have a portable digital scale that we sometimes use when out.