- advertisement -

Do you think this is rude?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by miss_behave, Oct 23, 2009.

1. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Ok so I've worn a medic alert bracelet since I was 13. What annoys me is when people I barely know come up to me to and ask "whats wrong with you?" Is it just me? I find this quite rude. I don't always want to go into it, especially when so many people have preconcieved ideas about D. I'm not embarrassed about it, I just don't feel like everyone needs to know, KWIM? I'm just wondering if this happens to anyone else and what you say. Hmm maybe I should buy myself the necklace instead and just have it under my clothes. :eek:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd be inclined to say,

" Mine says I have Diabetes."

"Where's your's?", "The one that says you have a rudeness disorder?" :rolleyes:

Yes, it's exceedingly rude! I don't blame you for taking offence ;)

3. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

lol... good answer.

4. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Mine is a necklace, and people frequently tell me they like it, but don't ask why I where it, which is nice. Although I've had many people see my site (which I where on my arms alot), and ask "what's wrong with you?". I agree, I think it's rude. They could at least phrase it so it doesn't sound like I'm some kind of freak. Recently, I had someone ask if it was one of those stop-smoking patches. Good guess....but no. :)

5. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

I wear the necklace (the same one as Nick J, haha).. :rolleyes:

Nobody has ever asked me about it. I don't keep it under my shirt.. I mean if it is already under my shirt, I don't pull it out, but I don't deliberately keep it under it either. :cool:

And yes, I do think that's rude! I'd lie to make them feel bad or something... Well maybe not.. I can't think of good responses on my feet all the time haha.

6. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I'd be more inclined to say, "nothings wrong with me, but apparently the same can't be said about you."

I haven't run across this issue, but it would certainly frustrate me if it was happening.

7. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I should add that I have only had the 'whats wrong with you" once or twice but have gotten the "why do you have a medic alert bracelet?" much more often which is basically the same question anyway :rolleyes:

8. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i haven't had anyone just walk up and ask, sometimes i'll be in a class or at a workshop or have a visitor at church and be asked(nicely!), which i don't think is that bad. i do wear one that have interchangeable bracelets and the tag is rotated under most of the time, so i'm sure that helps, plus if i'm with my mom or best friend i normally don't bother to wear it since if something happens they'll be right there, plus i have the pump on.
    what really bugs me is people staring when i'm checking my blood sugar! little kids don't bother me, but teens and adults! it like "come on people!". one time i had a girl and her mom at the doctors office sit there and star at me the whole time like i was some kind of freak show.