- advertisement -

Do you think there will ever be a smaller tubed pump brought to market?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jan 30, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd is back on the Ping. After being on the POD for a bit and before that being on the Ping Un-tethered I just wish someone would make a super small tubed pump with a remote so the darn thing would fit in a little kids pocket (or skinny jeans joke of a pocket) or be able to clip to the waistband without constantly pulling her pants down.

Or I the only one that thinks that its a good idea?

I swear when she started on the pump at 18months I thought that it was huge, I thought by now they would be smaller.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The Asante Snap is pretty small, isn't it?

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

It looks narrow/skinny, but still on the long side. I should look at its dimensions.

I still would love if they brought the Solo pump to market, while it is tubeless at least it can be removed from the body if you wanted and you can bolus from it without the remote.

4. moco89

moco89 Approved members

It's called the Cellnovo pump. They are seeking approval in the US, as they have already received the CE mark.

5. Don

Don Approved members

CellNovo is almost too small for adults holding only 150 units but a slick remote with the reliability of regular infusion sets could be a winning combo.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

wow how have I missed this one?

I will have to investigate.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Not sure if that would be an issue for adults but surely those in the midst of puberty.

But I would think you could have one charged and ready to swap out?

It actually looks allot like what I was thinking, except most of the pictures show a short infusion set when I awes thinking of a longer one, but it does say a longer tubing is an option.

Thank you for pointing it out for me.

8. Parody

Parody Approved members

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

10. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

I would not be too worried about reservoir size. Although standard insulin is U-100, I'm pretty sure that U-500 and maybe U-300 is available in the US. So if you filled a "150 unit" reservoir with U-500, that would be like having a 750 unit supply. Of course, you would need good control. For example, if you normal basil was 0.1 unit/hour, then you would need to actually dose 0.02 units/hour, so your pump would need to be able to give doses that small.

Obviously, this is a big deal, and you should talk to your doctor early in the process, while you are still just thinking about it. See what the doctor thinks.

Joshua Levy

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Learn something new everyday!

Do you know if there is a diluted insulin in the US, I mean being able to just order a vial or is it always specialty and has to be mixed?

12. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I do have a lot of faith that they will make big leaps and bounds to make D a lot less obtrusive

13. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I think there will be, insulin pumps have made a lot of progress just in the 9 years I have had diabetes. And with the movement towards smaller, high tech, aesthetically pleasing pumps it really is a matter on how fast independent companies can acquire funding, build a pump, and have it approved through the FDA. I say independent companies as Minimed and Animas haven't drastically changed their visual design/shape of the pump in 9+ years, I don't really expect them to.

The innovative pump design that I thought would be really cool if it were real was Pancreum. It is from the DiabetesMine innovation contest, but it combines the insulin pump, with a cgm, and glucagon.

Question: With the CellNovo how much would the Data (Mobile (GSM) Data Connection) plan be a month? Does that come paid for when you buy the pump, or is that a monthly bill?

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just don't see it that way. DD's first pump, almost 10 years ago was the Cozmo and I'd take it again over our current MM 723 in a flash. I do think that CGM technology has advanced and is much, much improved in the last decade, but pumps? Sure the t:slim looks cool but I'm pretty underwhelmed with the advances in pumping technology in the last decade.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes the t:slim looks so pretty and has a great interface, but it is so lacking in so many ways from features on pumps that have been around for years.

16. joshualevy

That sounds like Dr. Ed Damiano's Bihormonal Artificial Pancreas, which is already in phase-II clinical trials, and has gotten some great results. Right now, all the pieces are separate, and that's no good, but if it works, there's nothing easier than merging them into one device.

Joshua Levy

17. joshualevy

Not that I know of. Sorry.

Joshua Levy

18. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

What do you feel is lacking in the Tslim besides the fact that it doesn't reverse correct over 70? I think you said before that you had one and sent it back, but there are so many former Minimed, Animas and Omnipod users that rave about it.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

It been awhile since I have had the pump in my hands: but these are some things that really just added up that made me not go forward with it, many of these issues are inherent to its design that I feel are aggravating and not the leap forward I was hoping for in a new pump.

Length of time it take to complete a bolus
    length of time for a cartridge change
    cannot have prefilled cartridge ready
    cannot use Apidra
    The bulky pigtail of the cartridge, you cannot wrap the tubing around the pump easily

besides the reverse correcting issue, it does absolutely nothing with IOB and a below target BG except warn you to retest

These were MY issues with the pump, and yes there are many more people jumping to this pump and go for it! Its just that the way this pump is set up/programmed does not work with the way we deal with T1D at home or at school and I did not see this pump supporting an easy transition to independence, rather it would be a step back for us to re-haul what we have been doing for 8 years.

20. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Interesting to me the things that make people choose the pumps. I actually like the slow delivery and was scared to death of the Animas stinging bolus. I know it isn't a problem for everyone, but just didn't want to take that chance. From the FB TSlim group, a lot of people end up using less insulin with the TSlim, but I didn't think that was going to happen to us. It did! I had to reduce all basals 20%. She is using only about 10 units per day of basal now, which hasn't happened for many years. The cartridge change does take a couple of minutes, but it's not a problem for me. Some people do prefill cartridges, but not way far ahead. I am actually trying to see if we can go for 6 days on one cartridge, since 300 units is plenty to do so. Just changed out the site yesterday. Some people are using Apidra in it successfully but changing out at 2 days. I wouldn't try it myself though. I can't see a reason that she would want to wrap the tubing around the pump, so that wouldn't be a consideration. I do like the luer lock being away from the pump, especially when she wears the clip, it doesn't dig into her. Because it is so small, she usually just puts it in her pocket. Her other pumps usually fit in the pockets, but they were just to bulky and not comfy for her there. She has a couple of pairs of jeans with tiny pockets, so I might try making buttonholes in the pocket to thread the tubing through so that she won't worry about it slipping out.
    The IOB hasn't been a problem for her. Each pump is different and it's what you get used to. I remember constantly overriding the Cozmo when it said she didn't need insulin for a snack, when I knew that she did. I was looking for the pump that would be easiest to train her staff on, none of which will have any diabetes experience and most of which are college aged, and used to using touch screens. When I looked at the Omnipod menus and those of all of the other pumps, I tried to put myself in their place. The choice became obvious that the TSlim would be our best bet. It's only been one week today, but I really think that we made the right choice. I hope you find the pumps that are right for your family, and that more choices will become available soon!