- advertisement -

do you think that Metronic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lotsoftots, Mar 9, 2011.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

That's what I was thinking. One company patents a REALLY great feature, then the other comes up with another one to compensate. They make us choose one feature or the other. Doesn't that kind of make US the losers? I hate getting the short end of the stick.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, that's what they said when they first started talking about the integrated pump. But it's been so long, and that plan has gone through so many changes, who knows at this point? But I've not heard anything other than that the integrated pump will not have a remote. Which I think is a big mistake on their part.

3. bisous

bisous Approved members

I've been able to experience the convenience of the ping remote first hand! While DS has a MM522, DN has a ping. I love giving her a bolus! I suppose once he starts giving himself boluses (I don't anticipate that this will happen any time soon!) it won't matter. In the mean time, I'm jealous!

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I heard from the Animas rep that the remote from the Ping is not going away. They will be two pump offering. The what was Animas 2020 with the intergrated Dexcom and also the Ping as we know it.

5. hawkeyegirl

Oh, yes. Sorry. That's what I've heard too. That they will continue offering the (non-integrated) Ping, but that the integrated pump will not have a remote. Sorry if I wasn't clear. :eek:

6. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

We love the remote with our Ping. We only take the pump out to do temp basals, changes or cartridge/battery changes...unless at school.

Personally Im not interesting in the Dex/Ping intergration remote or not. I like having the Dex reciever seperate and at my arms reach at any time. Justice is huge and sleeps crazy!
    Id hate to have the cgm burried under him at night. Just my opinion.

7. hawkeyegirl

Once they integrate, you can probably have both - the seperate receiver and the integration. That's what many MM users do. It's great because the kids don't have to carry a separate unit, but the parents can see what is going on without looking at the pump screen. Very handy.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I think we have decided to keep the remote. We use it too much. We also like the receiver separate. For nighttime on the nightstand and for other things. Like in sports we can disconnect (because he needs no insulin then) and leave the Dexcom on him. Also for certain roller coaster rides etc. We can leave the CGM receiver with him and take off the pump. We find using the double spi-belt it is very easy to wear two devices. It holds them close to his body.

Sometimes I do the boluses for my kids when they are at home to give them a 'break' with doing all things diabetes.
    Great for corrections at night.

9. Dmama24/7/365

oh thats pretty awesome! I didnt realize you could do that, do you tell pump your swtiching from stand alone to pump?

Still though....I loves me that remote lol so for us that would be what our decision is based on.

Thanks for that info though very cool :)

10. Dmama24/7/365

I agree. My son is 8 and sometimes he wants me to do it all and im ok with that but its way easier using remote. I especially love it for nightime corrections.

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You won't be able to have the separate unit AND the integration AND the remote

The pump that has the integration will be the 2020 - so you could have that AND a separate Dex receiver if you want - but no remote

The remote will be with the Ping - no integration

12. hawkeyegirl

Nope. The transmitter could transmit to a hundred different receivers simultaneously if we had them. We usually run both of them at the same time. :)

13. Dmama24/7/365

Now that is bad *ss! Now Im praying for an intergeration with remote ;)

14. garidan

garidan New Member

Vibe and 2020 or PING

What's your source ? Technically it's possible to have the PING with CGM integration.
    I hope the Vibe to be the PING + Dexcom sensor (G4, remember) , becaus I need the remote for my child.
    I don't understand why Animas sells now its 2020: it would be clever to sell only PING, and a version with the remote optional. Why produce 2 devices that do the same thing (with the Vibe 3 devices)?

15. hawkeyegirl

Animas has said that the integrated pump will not have a remote. At least in the first generation integrated pump.

16. dianas

dianas Approved members

This may or may not be true anymore because as far as I know these statements were made when Animas was planning on integrating with 3rd generation dexcom. From what I've seen around here Animas has been very, very quiet about this whole issue ever since they scrapped their plans for integrating with 3rd generation dexcom. Now that they are proceeding with 4th generation the communication problems they had with 3rd generation technology may or may not be solved. Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see what it looks like when they finally launch the product.

I know a lot of adults like myself who have been very vocal that they would not give up their Ping for integration. I'm sure if everyone had their druthers they would figure out how to make it work with the Ping. I'm not holding my breath though. I'll believe it when I see it.

17. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

When we first started pumping there was no way we could give up the remote. I used it for all boluses. J didn't like me "fooling with" his pump. Now, he is ok with it and it is faster to bolus straight from the pump. We don't use the remote nearly as often. SO we would be ok if the integrated pump doesn't have the remote. But I think Animas would be making a mistake to do it that way. There are a lot of people out there that won't give up that remote for anything!

18. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

exactly what our rep said...despite what I told him about it being such a big deal in the d community, he really just smiled and ignored it.