- advertisement -

Do you test EVERY night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by destea1, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We push our luck a bit and check at 10pm, 12am, and 5am. Many times that 12am is actually later because my wife gets off work at 11:30pm and sometimes may stop somewhere after work with friends for an hour or so. If I get up to go to the bathroom (and I tend to drink something before bed, so I often do) I will check BG then.

Honestly though, I think we used to do better when I simply set my loud phone alarm for 2am. I don't know why I stopped doing that. Likely because of exhaustion. We should probably get back to checking at 2am every night. We can take turns.

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

We don't check every night, I;m 16 so I stay up until 11 or so ever night and will check at least twice before I go to bed to be sure I'm not dropping. We test at night if I have been low a lot or needed to correct. I'm a super lite sleeper, I wake up when my mom opens her door, and I've had d for almost two years. I think that's part of the reason that we don't check all the time, because it makes it hard for me t get up and go on with life=)

We probably check at night 4-6 times a week, it depends on life, how busy i've been, the weather, if the moon is full, all that. One thing that I would recommend is if you've been up too much and need a break wait until you get a night that your kid is 160-180 ish, or where ever you would feel comfortable leaving them all night and just don't correct, one night of being high won't kill them. It's amazing what one good nights sleep can do=)

3. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We test every night. A good example of why is last night. Everything was good, she was sleeping soundly. Check her and she's > 400 developing ketones, a bad pump site. This was 1:30, by 5:30 when she gets up for school it would have been a much bigger deal . . .

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

IMO, a recent set change is ALL the more reason to check at night, for the exact situation you just explained. We've caught many a problem and was able to correct it before it turned into something major.

5. HM5388

HM5388 Approved members

We check every night, usually twice since getting a CGM (it's easy to get up and glance at it). My daughter is 13, diagnosed at 11. It's tempting to be lulled into a false sense of security during honeymoon when the body is still helping to regulate BGs. However, like others that have posted, we find many unexpected highs & lows - some severe. I (Dad) check the CGM at 2:30 & 4:30 (out of habit, I wake up even when I'm traveling without the family). If I don't like what I see and we need to do a finger-stick, Mom gets up because I can't seem to do it in the dark without waking my daughter. Can't tell you the last time I slept 6 or 8 straight hours but I've gotten used to it.

6. AnjelTeacher

AnjelTeacher Approved members

As Barbie said we check every night. Well I actually make his dad do that check. I do all the checks during the day if he's not in school and in the evening so I make dad get up at 2am and check. We usually check around 9 which is bed time and lantus and then again at 2am unless he has been super low and then we were checking more. The few times he has stayed up til midnight such as New Years, we checked him at 4am. But its piece of mind really. I know Barbie said she doesn't wake him, where as Chris does wake him here. LOL :)