- advertisement -

Do you test EVERY night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by destea1, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

We test every night. I don't think I could sleep if I didn't...I'd spend too much worrying. :eek: He used to wake up during the first couple weeks, but now he just sleeps right through it and I'm back in bed within 5-10 minutes if I don't have to treat.

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We're 6 years in, and we don't currently check every night. I tend to be a night owl, so I'll check at midnight and decide from there. If it has been a wild day or there is insulin on board or we're just in one of those crazy cycles or if I wake up and have that feeling or ...well...you get the idea. I probably check 75% of night.:eek:

Have to ask...what kind of lancer do you use? Some are better than others, and less likely to wake a sleeping child. The fav on here seems to be the Multi-Clix. Nat hates to use anything else. I agree with others. She will learn to sleep through it, and you will learn to fall back to sleep.

3. destea1

destea1 Approved members

Right now we use the one that came with the OneTouch UltraII pack we got from the hospital... she's usually ok with 'pokes' (as we call them) during the day, and for the first time last night (ironically!) she actually almost slept through my check for her at 1am. That was nice, it was a much less stressful transition to get myself to bed, when she flips out on me and then demands (and doesn't get) extra snacks/drinks/books etc I get pretty worked up and that definitely doesn't help my insomnia.

I'm sure it does get better... maybe I should look into the multi-clix. It's nice having everything fit into her one-touch zipper case, but I guess that's not really SUPER important if something would be less painful for her! I'm just starting to explore the idea of other meters and the Omnipod pumping world... It's hard to know what she might work with best!

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Glad to hear she slept through it. As for the lancer, I really like the Delica. You may be able to get your endo to give you one for free to try out. It seems much gentler than the other lancers I have tried.

And if you want to try different meters, many companies will send you one free (they make their money on the strips). I have always used the Freestyle meter. It uses the smallest blood sample size in the world. So if you only need a tiny drop of blood, you don't need to prick the finger as hard, which means less pain and less trauma to the skin. It also has a night light built in, which is perfect for middle of the night testing or out in a darkened theatre. Good luck with whatever you choose.

5. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

The Freestyle meter is good for the reasons Christopher mentioned, we like it very much, it used to be our standard and is now a spare.

If everything fits into the case for you then I would suggest keeping that as is and maybe consider another lancer for night time only. It could double as your spare. You should have a spare lancer and meter, just like everything else.

For lancers, we like the CVS brand, it has adjustable depth, accepts the 33 gauge ultra-fine lancets and also fits in our Animas case.

We have had one fail pretty quick but CVS replaced it without question. Other than that one item, they seem to work fine.

6. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

We also really like the one touch delica and the small sample size of the freestyle lite is the best out there :)

7. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We do test every night since she was Dx 3 years ago.

8. destea1

destea1 Approved members

Most of what I've seen seems to come down to the Freestyle or the Accu-check Aviva... our insurance likely covers both similarly - my only real gripe with our OneTouch Ultra meter is that I can't get the numbers and software onto my IMAC. We don't have a PC and I'm an anal #'s person so I'm doing everything manually and it takes *forever*. Do the other meters have software options/uploads for apple?

9. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We are 5 years into this and still check every night, at midnight (when I go to bed) and between 2-3 a.m. This allows Ab to wake up in range and have a better day. She has almost always slept through the checks and rarely remembers when I have her drink juice or chew glucose tabs. There have been times when she has been in the 20's (and did not wake up from the low) and several times her pump was not connected and she was over 500. Our endo told us in the beginning that night testing was not necessary. I can't imagine letting her go 8 or more hours without testing a BG. You are so new to this, you will find what fits for your family.

We love the multiclix lancet device. Freestyle meters are nice because of the small sample size. And backlight, and strip light.

10. minniem

minniem Approved members

We use the multiclix lancet and the one touch meter and it all fits in the one touch case. We love the multiclix but also used the delica lancet in the beginning...we really liked that one too. But the multiclix uses drums and one drum has 6 lancets in it and my son never has to touch the actual lancet. We also liked it for school so he could test in the classroom and not have to worry about a sharps container.

Good Luck!

11. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I test my ds every night at least 11ish and 2:30ish, and often it ends up more depending on the the numbers. I don't ever plan on this changing, because it is too often that he is high or low for what I see as no good reason. We are 16 months into this and so far I find diabetes too unpredictable, I try to predict but it doesn't always work despite all of our efforts. I am exhausted, my husband has only done one night check (and thats because I was working a night shift) but I can't see skipping a check. I wish I could encourage you otherwise, but I have gone in and found him in the 40's and I wonder what would have happened if I didn't do that 2am check. As far as your daughter waking, my son did too the first couple months but eventually he got used to it and now usually sleeps through it. Have you tried a different lancet? We now use delica, and it is alot less painful than our previous one.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We've been looking at CGM readings every night for almost 5 years, and I've still yet to see a night where she could have made it through in a safe range without checking and correcting. She needs a correction of some kind every night, sometimes corrections every hour. I would definitely recommend checking every night, at least twice if not more, or using a CGM.

13. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

We eat dinner late so I usually when I go to bed, lately my husband has been checking around midnight (we're tweaking her basals) and then I check at 3am most nights. I'm tired all the time and haven't had a good night's sleep since dx. She sleeps through the checks now and even drinks juice in her sleep. She was sick recently and when I was trying to wake her up to check ketones, she sat up, eyes closed, lips pursed and tried to drink an invisible drink! It was cute. Thankfully I can fall asleep pretty quickly.

It does feel like having a newborn. Once in awhile I'll skip the 3am check after an internal debate about it but I sleep better knowing what her BR is. Although last night she was 81 at 3am when she is usually high. She has been known to drop 100+ points from 3am to 6:30 when she gets up so I had my husband check her at 4:30 to make sure she didn't drop further since we increased her basal last night.

14. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

We test every night and I am so thankful because sometimes we have caught big lows.

Christmas Eve he dropped All. Night. Long. We went through 2 juice boxes and temporary basals. And I had changed nothing! It had been a very normal day with normal food.

When Christmas morning came I was tired, but so thankful that I checked.

15. jkjones37

jkjones37 Approved members

We are new to this also and I asked a question in another thread but I have more. I hope you don't mind.

I'm starting to see why everyone tests at night but not understanding why our endo said we didnt need to.

My questions are :

If we are testing them at night during their childhood years...what are these kids doing when they leave the house? What are college-aged kids doing or young adults? Are they waking themselves with alarms to check or do they eventually feel the lows/highs at night?

We are doing MDI with Humalog and Lantus. We only give insulin at meals and bedtime and correct if over 200. She has two snacks and a bedtime snack also that we do not give insulin for. If she has an in-range number at bedtime and wakes up with an in-range number, does that mean that she was "in-range" all night? She has always had good morning numbers? Again, because we are new to this, I don't know or understand a lot of this and could really use some helpful information.

Thank you!

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

To answer your questions:

Endos seem to often tell parents they don't need to test at night and I think it is very bad advice. Then again, it is not their child's life they are dealing with.

As children become young adults they have to make choices how they test at night. Some wake themselves and check, some use CGM's and others probably run themselves a little high before bed. There are several young adults on the forum and I am sure they will chime in.

There is no guarantee that anyone will feel a low when they are asleep. That is one of the reasons I check at night. The other is to catch and correct high numbers that over time will damage her.

There is no reason why you can't do corrections between meals. It all depends on your comfort level. You are in the very early days and it may take some time to get to that comfort level.

In range numbers at bedtime and in range numbers in the morning do NOT mean they are in range all night. I believe it is very important to check at night, and I do it every night, multiple times a night. Your child may be in the honeymoon phase and her pancreas may still be working and helping her at night. It will eventually stop working all together and you will see wider varieties of numbers at night and during the day too.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  17. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We check at 10pm, 2am, and 6am. Jayden doesn't go more than four hours between checks during the day time, so we don't let more than four hours go by between checks at night either.

You would not believe the number of times Jayden is either quite low (30s) or quite high when I check her. The last endo visit we had, Dr. L said, "well, I'd love to tell you to sleep through the night, but you can't. You still need to check her at night."

We are four years into dx, and I figure I'll be checking her in the middle of the night for as long as she lives at home.

18. buggle

buggle Approved members

I wonder how all these endos who tell parents not to test at night would feel if one of their patients died in their sleep from a low?

19. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

I've caught too many lows not to check.

But I do worry about what will happen when he heads off to college. We do not have a CGM now, but I'll make sure he has one then.

And right now lows do not wake him up, but I pray he'll become sensitive to that one day.

20. Ali

Ali Approved members

I am an adult T1. Forty years. Christopher is right on and I do all three. But with a CGMS I still do not sleep through a night unless I run high. So unfortunately what one has to do is go to bed a high if one wants 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I would say I get that about one day out of every seven. It is hard on me, my spouse and my kids. :(:(Ali