- advertisement -

Do you test EVERY night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by destea1, Jan 4, 2012.

1. destea1

destea1 Approved members

We're new to this... only dx'd in late October, and have been doing 2am checks almost every night now since diagnosis with a few 2-3 day breaks if she's had very consistent night, middle-night and morning numbers when I just can't get up another night (I tend to not get back to sleep after doing it, so it's hard keeping up with her and my 20 month old after a few nights of that...).

Anyway, my husband and I were both curious exactly how often etc other parents of young diabetics (or not so young?) get up to check middle of the night blood sugar levels.

Our endocrine team has told us that they feel if managed properly that there shouldn't be a *medical* reason to check her every single night - but they understand that most/a lot of parents need to do it for less stress and more peace of mind. I feel comfortable taking a few nights off when she is consistent and her #'s have been normal throughout the day... but I'm wondering if because I'm so new to this I'm just too lax?

There are a million things I don't know yet, so I figure it's better to put it out there and see what you all do for a point of reference!

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

If this were true, then with "proper" management we would never need to check during the day either, right? Those highs and lows you need to treat during the day, still may happen at night. Diabetes doesn't know it's bedtime. It does not shut off.

We check EVERY night.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Melissa, we do test pretty much every night now. During the first few years after diagnosis we didnt as the endo told us it was unnecessary. But we feel that the 8-10 hours per night that Steven sleeps is just too much time without testing. We have found over the years that his blood sugars can fluctuate quite a bit at night, especially if he is ill or has been very active that day or sometimes because of a certain food he's eaten.

The testing at night helps us to understand better why his blood sugar is what it is in the morning and we can fix things at night before they become a real problem. When we didnt test at night and STeven woke with a high number we werent sure what had caused that. He may have started to climb and continued climbing or he may have dropped low and rebounded. There have been many nights where Steven needs some type of correction, either insulin for a high blood sugar or some juice for a low one. We always hope that the number will be in range so he can continue to sleep. He usually sleeps through the tests now and sometimes through the injections.

4. destea1

destea1 Approved members

That all definitely makes sense... I guess the next question is how the heck do you guys do it?? Haha. I feel like every time we have to wake her up (often) she's up for a good 30-45 minutes even if a correction or carbs weren't necessary, and then going back to sleep for me is a 1-3 hour process. I feel like I have a newborn all over again, only it'll never change. How do you adjust to not sleeping? My husband has a pretty high-demand job so sleepless nights more than once or twice a week could pretty steadily mess up his work - but I have to keep up with two small kids most days on top of other small jobs I have. How do you do it! Or am I the only crazy person who takes that long to turn my brain off and get back to precious rest? Haha :)

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Are you waking her? or is testing her bg waking her?

6. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I'm divorced and do this all on my own so I cannot advise you on how to split up who will test when. But I can tell you that eventually she will sleep right through the testing and through injections. My son didn't at first, but does now. I only wake him when he is low and sometimes it takes a few trys, and even them most of the time he downs strawberry milk or juice without realizing it. You will handle this aspect of Diabetes the same way you handle everything else...one day at a time. :cwds:

7. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Yes, we test every night in the early am hours, 2-3am. I am sleep deprived and so is my husband. But, until there is a better treatment for diabetes, it is medically necessary for my DD to have her blood glucose checked overnight. I have been told by trained diabetes professionals that a diabetic will wake up from a low in the middle of the night. My DD does not wake up when she is low in the middle of the night. I later corrected one of the professionals, by showing her a small study, in which people with T1 diabetes kept sleeping during low blood glucose levels overnight.

8. destea1

destea1 Approved members

We wake her to do the test... when I've tried (unsuccessfully) in the past to do the test without it she wakes up mid-test and absolutely flips out so it's an even longer process... I'm sure over time it'll be different, 2 months and she's just not used to that feeling quite yet I think.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's hard. :( If testing in general is causing her stress we can make some suggestions about better lancers, alternate site testing etc that might help.

10. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We don't test every night.. it all depends, if she is sick, if things are out of sorts.. more activity, numbers off.. she has active insulin at bed or corrections late in the day then we do. So maybe 3 to 4 times a week, maybe less maybe more. She also checks herself in the middle of the night (but she is almost 16 so that helps) if/when she uses the bathroom.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Even with having a CGM, we were told to check around 2 a.m. each night. After 16 months in, I wake up anyway, even if I mis-set the alarm. And most of the time, the exhaustion is great enough, I'm back asleep in minutes. It is a rough adjustment, and I don't do well on the days I'm up several times during the night. Newborn life was easier, in retrospect.

12. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

We test at 11:00; 2:00 - 3:00'ish and 5:00. I don't need an alarm anymore. Hang in there, you'll adjust to your new sleep cycle.

13. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We check at our bedtime

We check our son when he is sleeping at our bedtime - anywhere from 10:30 - 12:00. A great headlamp like when you go hiking is great for helping see in the dark without waking him.

If his numbers are good - for us 140 - 200, with no or little insulin on board. I leave him to sleep for the rest of the night. We get up for school at 6 AM.

If numbers are higher than 200 I do a correction. I don't usually get up during the night unless numbers are really high at the check - to recheck and make sure they are coming down.

For low numbers I try to get him to eat a few smarties or drink some milk and then right back to bed. I may recheck during the night for lows to make sure they are still holding. Sometimes I also do a temp basal for a few hours to help with lows during the night.

Everyone has to do what is right for them. Sometimes I just get that feeling that I can't sleep and get up and check him for no reason. ANYTIME he wakes me up in the middle of the night - I always check him. Things are usually wierd (high or low) if he gets up in the middle of the night.

It is really hard to be so sleep deprived getting up every night, but you do what you have to do for your child.

14. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

When I don't sleep through my alarm I check Taylor around 2 is.

15. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I check every night. I'm a single mom so there is no one to help, but if you can get your husband to do even one of the checks for you then you are ahead of the game.

I have a really hard time falling back to sleep quickly after, so I'm pretty much just pooped all the time. But I just sneak cat naps whenever and wherever possible - and wear more concealer these days to cover the dark circles ;)

I've caught way too many unexpected highs and lows to let my son go all night without a check. But I'm human and sometimes my body just shuts down and I don't even hear the alarm...that happens about once every 10 days or so.

Your little one will get used to it and start sleeping through it at some point. I make sure I have the strips, meter and poker together and ready to go before I go to bed. Then at check time I just take a flashlight or just turn on the hall light - just enough light to get the job done without waking him. And when I get close to his bed I whisper "it's just mom, need to check, be just a second" as I reach for his hand. Hoping the subtle warning and reassurance will keep me from startling him. That usually works, but even when he does wake up he rarely remembers it the next morning.

Hang in there, it's tough but you'll get into your own groove :cwds:

16. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We test at our bedtime every night, about 11 pm or so. Depending on what dinner was, and what I expect his bg to do based on our experience, I won't test the rest of the night if he didn't need a correction (up or down). If I had to correct, then I recheck after 2 hours - or less, depending. That said, most nights I check again at 1:00 am and sometimes at 3:00. Checks again at 5 are rare unless dinner was pizza or some other difficult to manage food.

In terms of who does what, in my house it's not hard to divide the tasks because I'm the night owl and need a lot less sleep than my wife. I am also fortunate that I don't have to get up until 7:40 to get to work on time. So I do the overnights and my wife wakes up to get the kids started for school at 6:45. Of course, some times she asks me to help her or I ask her to take on one of "my" responsibilities.

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We test every single night, doesn't matter how the day is... we also test at least two times a night, depending on what is going on.

Look at it this way, night time is half their day, would you go al
    l day without checking? If you put her to bed at 150, and she climbs after that to 250 and stays there all night long because you didn't check, that will affect her body and definitely affect her A1c... or if she drops and spends the night at 60, thats not good for her both either.. we were told a long time ago (years ago) that we could stop testing at night, but she's just never very consistent so we've always tested during the night... I stay up late (at least midnight) and my husband gets up at 2/3 for the bathroom anyway so he checks her, then again aroun 5 when he gets up for work... if there is a problem I'll either stay up or he gets up at 1 to check her, then again at another point during the night depending on whats going on. We also use a cgms, so some of the nights we look at that rather than doing a finger poke, depending on what the graph looks like.

18. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I have 2 kids with d and check every night, and have for past 4 years. It's hard. I'm tired. I'm crabby. But at least once a week, someone is low and needs juice. I'd rather have the piece of mind....

Someone said, you wouldn't go 8 hours during the day without testing, so why would you at night? I so agree with that!

19. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We test every night. It seems like every time I say to myself "if he's stable tonight I won't check tomorrow" he ends up either high or low at that check. I do all the checks because my husband is working in Saudi Arabia right now. We also have night time enuresis that I am trying to deal with. So, for me, it's test at bedtime, wake to use the restroom at 10:30 or 11:00, wake to test and go again at 1:00am and the same at 3:00am then up at 6:00am to get ready for school. I never fall back to sleep easily and am tired all the time. Our Endo feels that I can stop the nighttime checks but, I don't feel like I can. It is a small sacrifice for me to wake up and test him.

All that being said, you need to do what is right for you and your family! What works for us may not work for you. If you are comfortable taking a day or so off then it's fine! No one judges how many times one parent tests their child. You have to be able to care for your whole family and I can safely say that some extra sleep would absolutely be amazing around here and my other 3 kids would say I am much more pleasant when I actually am able to fall back to sleep.

Keep moving forward because nothing behind you matters:)

20. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We don't check every night. Our last check is whenever the last adult up goes to bed. Some nights it's 11:00, sometimes it's 1:00. I'd say we do a past-midnight check twice a week and a true middle of the night (3:00-ish) twice a month.

Honestly, until I found this board (when we were already 4 or 5 years in), I had no idea that anyone checked in the middle of the night unless it was to test patterns and such. For us, it's still a relatively new concept. When she was small, we tested more often simply because she never able to feel lows and because her doses were so much smaller and a 1/4 unit miscalculation could make a huge mess of things. I worked second shift at the time and was able to test her when I went to bed at 2:00 so it just worked out.

It's much, much easier when they sleep through it. DD has never woken up for a check or a shot. We've unwrapped her, dug her fists out from under her body, pried open her fingers and she still slept through it. She's stronger now and when we grab her hand she will pull back but I whisper "need to check your number" and she goes lax immediately. Her brain must still be listening :)