- advertisement -

Do you see a CDE in addition to the Endo?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I was noticing in the "How often do you see your endo within the year?" thread that several people mentioned going to a CDE. The only time we saw a CDE was at diagnosis in the hospital, and later when my son tried the pump. The pump one was the one suggested by the pump company so it was all about training to use it, and she was a little elderly and not the best at it. The endo never suggested going to a CDE as part of our care and I never really thought about it. Which at this moment I find really ironic since I am a nursing student and have thought about continuing my education to become a CDE, lol! Looking back I think there could have been some benefits. Of course my town only has one CDE and she is at the small, local hospital. We do not have an endo. We drive about 90 minutes to see ours, and that is when she is at her branch office. Normally she is 2.5 hours away.

Back to the question. Why do you go to the CDE? Do you find it beneficial? Did you go more as a newbie and less as the years went by after diagnosis? Were they knowledgeable about T1 and kids or were they primarily type 2?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We see our CDE every other visit. So, 2x's a year with her, 2x's a year with the endo. We have no choice, this is how or clinic works. I like mixing it up between the two, two different perspectives on D care.

I LOVE our nurse, she really gets diabetes management. Sometimes I feel that I get more out of our visit with her than our doc (though our doc is fantastic too!).

Let me stand corrected, our nurse has every letter in the alphabet after her name...but CDE. She always jokes that I keep making her a CDE, yet she doesn't want to be one:)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Until recently, our appointments were with a CDE for 45 minutes and the endo popped in for about 5-10 minutes per visit. Now we're seeing a PHP, so I'm not sure how that will change. I think we will see the endo only when needed.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our CDE is an A.P.R.N. and most likely has other degrees about which I don't even know. She has probably 30 years in D management and knows more than pretty much any Dr we've ever worked with. I'll take her over the endo any day ( and there's nothing wrong with the endo, we just don't have any reason to see him at this point) plus, Maddie likes her and that's worth 100 endos in my book.;)

ETA our visits are never less than a hour, usually more, much of the time she's just chatting with Maddie and discussing what's going on in her life - school, sports, travel, and D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

This make so much sense! Our endo is fine, but the appointments are pretty short and to the point. She checks the A1C, asks if we have any questions or needs prescriptions. She will answer questions, but I usually don't have many since I visit this website or check my big stack of betes books when I need answers. I really, really think though that CDE visits could have been beneficial in the beginning.

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We also alternate CDE and endo. I find the CDE much better and more helpful.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Never since 1st pump meeting - then skipped them and started on our own. Same with Dexcom. It's never even brought up at the endo.

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i have no idea if we've ever seen a CDE LOL! Maybe we saw one when she was first diagnosed, but not since then. We rotate back and forth between seeing her endo and seeing a CNP. We're actually seeing the nutritionist for the first time in 3 years in April! the last time we saw her was March 2010.

9. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I see both the CDE, and my Endo at each visit. It use to just be the CDE, and the Endo every few visits(this was with a different doctor though)...but now I see him at every visit.

I really like it, but I really like my Endo. He has Type 1, and is 'up to speed' with all the technology. He just started taking patients in 2010(he is somewhat fresh from school, and is young), so maybe it will change as he gets more patients. It is just nice to talk Type 1 with someone that really 'gets it', and also sees the humor in the things that can go wrong living with Type 1.

10. steph

steph Approved members

we see the CDE at every visit in addition to alternating bt an endo and a NP who come in toward the end of the visit. I also communicate about changing doses and managing issues as they arise with the CDE over the phone or by email in between visits. they know my daughter better than the endo and also are more helpful. there is one endo at our practice i will never let see my child or discuss any info with ever again bc of all the problems we have had with her.

11. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

our CDE is in our rotation

Our CDE is wonderful and is in our rotation for doctor visits. We go every 3 months and see doctor, CDE, dietician, and nurse practitioner.

Ours is wonderful. SHe typically calls me back anytime I have a question for the doctor or the office.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The CDE is in on every visit and is VERY helpful. Much more helpful in a number crunching way than the endo.

We see the Endo at least once per year, sometimes twice. The other visits we see the NP. But the CDE is always in on the visit as well.

LOVE our CDEs (and the NP actually). Not to take anything away from our endo, I actually like the current one quite a bit (not so much the one before her) but for practical everyday useful advice, the CDE wins every time.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Don't you feel that it's because the nurse and or CDE have more time to spend with you and converse with you either on the phone or via email more frequently? I know our doctor teaches in addition to case load, so while she is helpful and knowledgeable, our nurse has her finger on the pulse of day to day d care more...because she has a bit more time.